Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Warm Septembers can follow very poor summers. 1985 was awful, and September that year was very warm, also October 85 was much warmer than this month. 

I know it was warm for a few days, but some people on here seem to be doom and gloom with a few days of above average warmth in September, yet, they conveniently forget the chilly spells in April, and cold and damp during May. 

The recent mild weather is balancing things out. In any case, it's not been that hot at all, just warm at times.

But any kind of September can follow any kind of summer. So, doesn't your argument ( whatever it is) fall flat on its face?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

But any kind of September can follow any kind of summer. So, doesn't your argument ( whatever it is) fall flat on its face?

No it doesn’t. I’m using this as a perfect example of warm or very warm weather in past Septembers.

The recent warm spell, a few weeks ago now actually, wasn’t anything out of the ordinary. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

September was way above average in the UK, wouldn’t say it was normal though after the generally crap summer, very pleasant for most, I’d have thought. Of course this all comes after one of the coldest Springs ever recorded, which seems to have been forgotten on here, somewhat.

It has certainly been a bit of an unusual spring in many places. In my neck of the woods at least, the warmest day throughout the whole season was in March.

As for May, for me it was the worst one since 2012.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It has certainly been a bit of an unusual spring in many places. In my neck of the woods at least, the warmest day throughout the whole season was in March.

As for May, for me it was the worst one since 2012.

April was the third coldest for nearly 140 years, or so I’ve read. May was below average, temperature wise but not record breaking. Seems like seasons have shifted backwards for the time of the year? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

All my plants such as tomatoes, cucumbers and courgettes have finished early this year, but my hazelnut tree and vine are still fully green. something is a 

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

April was the third coldest for nearly 140 years, or so I’ve read. May was below average, temperature wise but not record breaking. Seems like seasons have shifted backwards for the time of the year? 

Tenant farming has gone on in Scotland for hundreds of years and "term date" or changeover of tenants was always the 31st of May allowing the outgoing  tenant  time  to sow the crops for the incoming tenant to take over  so cold late springs have been around for hundreds of years in Scotland and are very traditional.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Not liking the models for next week - haven't we had enough damp, dull, dreary clag this past 12 months to last a lifetime?

I'd be quite happy to never have to experience a southwesterly wind again - unless I was located east of a major, world-class mountain range. Spells of prolonged rain separated by dull and drizzle are no fun at all.

Models were looking so much better a few days ago (the high followed by a bright northerly outbreak).  Just hope they flip back. Latest GFS does show a break from the clag for the weekend of the 23rd/24th, good weather at the weekend does help massively. A wet weekend during the late autumn-winter basically shuts you indoors 24/7.

It's now more critical than ever that November to February are unusually sunny. I'm finding the UK (and northwestern Europe in general) late autumn-winter climate more and more intolerable by the year... believe you me, if I could leave the country every year during this period, I would do. I'm dreading those months, as realistically the chance of good weather (sunny/frost/snow) isn't great in this part of the world. As soon as the clocks go back I'll be counting the days until spring....

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Of course since March 2020 many of us have been more affected by weather as we've been more reliant on nicer conditions with less going on.

So long as we stay out of lockdown, I personally feel I'll be able stay reasonably positive through this winter, even if it's a zonal dross fest. 

It's especially important this winter we focus on the things which we enjoy and not put things off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

I agree with the positive aspect of your post, we don't want 'dross' tho, some lovely white stuff to make things interesting would be most welcome, nothing better than opening the blinds in a morning to a whiteout,

• Like 1

Posted

I’m torn this time round. A mild winter would seem like a kick in the teeth after the cloud fest that was summer 2021, and some disappointing temps in the south.

However, a cold frosty winter or something similar to last year would make things difficult due to the energy crisis. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice covering of snow on the highest tops in the Highlands this morning..

Screenshot_20211015_080946_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.e51c924b69298229bc9e1cc16483cc6b.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
12 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Not liking the models for next week - haven't we had enough damp, dull, dreary clag this past 12 months to last a lifetime?

I'd be quite happy to never have to experience a southwesterly wind again - unless I was located east of a major, world-class mountain range. Spells of prolonged rain separated by dull and drizzle are no fun at all.

Models were looking so much better a few days ago (the high followed by a bright northerly outbreak).  Just hope they flip back. Latest GFS does show a break from the clag for the weekend of the 23rd/24th, good weather at the weekend does help massively. A wet weekend during the late autumn-winter basically shuts you indoors 24/7.

It's now more critical than ever that November to February are unusually sunny. I'm finding the UK (and northwestern Europe in general) late autumn-winter climate more and more intolerable by the year... believe you me, if I could leave the country every year during this period, I would do. I'm dreading those months, as realistically the chance of good weather (sunny/frost/snow) isn't great in this part of the world. As soon as the clocks go back I'll be counting the days until spring....

Look on the bright side - it's only 3 months to the day until I can post a Spring 2022 ramps and moans thread!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
14 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Look on the bright side - it's only 3 months to the day until I can post a Spring 2022 ramps and moans thread!

I shall look forward to it 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I will be indeed grateful for an (assumed) lack of lockdown this winter but I'm finding even in 'normal' times the gloom of the winter months can be offputting - particularly the midwinter period, so December and January (February also if it's duller and wetter than normal). As I've said before, a long settled spell in autumn can help mitigate this, and it just feels like we're 'due' a settled autumn after the poor spring and summer - and historically, years with poor spring/summer periods (1978, 1979 and 1985 being famous examples) had much better autumns. So for this settled spell to end after only 12 days it does feel like we're short changed and reminds me of a warmer version of what happened last year (when we also had a fairly dry spell, albeit with cold NE winds, from the 8th-19th). At least the worst of the cyclonic weather is between Scotland and Iceland this time so presumably it won't be quite as dire as late October last year.

Summer 2020, autumn 2020, winter 2020/21, spring 2021 and summer 2021 have all, I think, been duller and wetter than normal locally, so if autumn 2021 is the same that'll be 6 seasons on the trot.

At least autumn weather has little bearing on the winter.  Late Oct-Nov 1984 and 1986, and November 1995 and 2009, were famously grotty. So maybe there is hope yet.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I shall look forward to it 

Indeed.. and let's hope it'll be more ramps than moans

We can be fairly sure next May will be better than this, at least.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 15/10/2021 at 10:55, Summer8906 said:

I will be indeed grateful for an (assumed) lack of lockdown this winter but I'm finding even in 'normal' times the gloom of the winter months can be offputting - particularly the midwinter period, so December and January (February also if it's duller and wetter than normal). As I've said before, a long settled spell in autumn can help mitigate this, and it just feels like we're 'due' a settled autumn after the poor spring and summer - and historically, years with poor spring/summer periods (1978, 1979 and 1985 being famous examples) had much better autumns. So for this settled spell to end after only 12 days it does feel like we're short changed.

Summer 2020, autumn 2020, winter 2020/21, spring 2021 and summer 2021 have all, I think, been duller and wetter than normal locally, so if autumn 2021 is the same that'll be 6 seasons on the trot.

At least autumn weather has little bearing on the winter.  Late Oct-Nov 1984 and 1986, and November 1995 and 2009, were famously grotty. So maybe there is hope yet.

Excellent Summer up here but agree with the rest of your post.

• Like 2

Posted

Wow, after reading a few threads I feel like I've just been to a funeral! So much negativity and we've only just passed the middle of October.

Wake me up when you've all popped a prozac! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Wow, after reading a few threads I feel like I've just been to a funeral! So much negativity and we've only just passed the middle of October.

Wake me up when you've all popped a prozac! 

If you're not a fan of negativity, I would suggest avoiding a thread dedicated for moans!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Forecast a low of 17c here on the night of the 19/20th, that's almost a tropical night near the end of October. Better have the fan back on that night.

Posted
59 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If you're not a fan of negativity, I would suggest avoiding a thread dedicated for moans!

I'm well aware of the title of the thread thank you, hense the reason I posted my "moan" In here. However, I don't see where in my original post I mentioned the moan thread. Maybe that's because I was commenting on the forum in general!

Posted
21 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Forecast a low of 17c here on the night of the 19/20th, that's almost a tropical night near the end of October. Better have the fan back on that night.

Of course, with that setup, the high will probably be 17c too Probably the low point of the whole week, away from high summer, the 'goodness' of the weather is IMO correlated strongly with the difference between max and min.

Once that system is out of the way,things improve a little towards the end of the week it seems on the latest runs, though it does seem to be more zonality than we have seen for a long while out to the end of the run. Most 'bad' spells of weather this year have instead been due to slow moving lows that haven't moved anywhere fast.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
7 hours ago, Freeze said:

Same synoptic but probably return mins of 11 or 12 degrees in the depths of winter as well. A long fetch SW wind will always bring very mild minima, nothing unusual about it at all.. I detest them!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

We do have a couple of very mild days coming up, but those are becoming fewer and farther between now as we move deeper into autumn. The turning of the leaves is far more noticeable now too, after a slow start. Fingers crossed that we don't get a mild November like we did last year.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Down to 4.5c so far tonight,  Autumnal feel this evening,

Edited by Wold Topper

Posted

Why are lows so much milder in the autumn compared to in the spring?
You’d think it would be the other way round considering the fact that the nights are longer in the autumn!