Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 12/10/2021 at 20:10, Alderc said:

A pretty decent day for mid October, 17C and lights with some sun. Will absolutely take that. 

Very enjoyable weather. The longer we can fend off the mundane Atlantic gloom the better.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
2 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Watched 6:30 BBC forecast.

Showed a beautiful photo of clear blue sky and brilliant colored seas.

Used as a justification of their forecasts last night.

Oh by the way the rest of the country was very cool dark and drizzly.

The photo was from Guernsey.

MIA

Had a laugh to myself when I seen that forecast,  as it was hammering down in my/our back yards at the time, but yes that photo was

Hopefully MIA when we are having fun in a couple of months time ⛄️ Fingers crossed they can stick that photo where the or their sun shines

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Hi, SB. I can't help but notice just how the following emoji looks like you. Did you model for it? 

Well it was supposed to be a secret I wish I was that smiley, have often been asked ‘if I’m ok’, when I’m perfectly happy. Must be the RBF (Resting Biatch Face).

Chilly and grotty day here today, with a ‘high’ of 11°C. Quite vile, missing summer already  Had to change to the winter duvets 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

almost did the double today..got down to -9c last night ..now a glorious sunny +10c 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

As someone who is getting bored with seeing so much high pressure on the charts, I am relishing the prospect of a change in our weather from next week. 

Autumn often does get properly underway from around the last third of October, and the models are suggesting that this year is no different. Bring it on!   ?️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Lovely day today. Cool and wet and the leaves coming off the trees nicely. Autumn is great  Glad to be shot of the horrid warmer weather so there are no moans from me

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

horrid! sun seems not possible with a NW'ly wind, Cheshire Gap flow, not been that wet thankfully

early next week looks better, southerly breeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Grey and dank today; hasn't gotten over c13ºC here

Leaves are falling nicely though now; the woods at the back of our house are becoming transparent! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Good morning all, I'm rather hoping we don't get too much wind and rain with at least some cold nights. 

Down here the foliage is juuust starting to turn. We had good growing conditions this year meaning plenty of sugars will have built up in the leaves and so long as conditions remain favorable (less wind, warm days, cool but not frosty nights) we should have a decent display like 2016. Most plants are also at the same stage so hopefully it'll be in sync. 

Not only does Atlantic weather ruin hot spells in summer and cold ones in winter, it also ruins autumn colours by both blowing the leaves off but also preventing the ideal conditions! As with a lot of climatic things, NW Europe gets the raw deal most years with North America, Eurasia and Japan getting more vivid colours. 

Fingers crossed we see some good colours this year! (Those lows just need to say away for a bit longer)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This has to go down as the year without normal seasons! No winter, no spring, no summer, no Autumn. Just got that feeling it'll be one of those years we have to wait until winter for the first real frosts. 20C+ being shown for next week is just wrong.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
55 minutes ago, Nick L said:

This has to go down as the year without normal seasons! No winter, no spring, no summer, no Autumn. Just got that feeling it'll be one of those years we have to wait until winter for the first real frosts. 20C+ being shown for next week is just wrong.

I was more intrigued by 18c at night. That is just insane for late October. Do we even get seasons any more? We're now halfway through meteorological Autumn and it's not been cold at all. As you say, nothing has happened really except it's only gradually got cooler, and still doesn't feel seasonal. High teens by day and low to mid teens (or even high teens?!) at night isn't how I remember October.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 4

Posted

This is our first year growing tomatoes. Granted everything has been late/delayed this year after the cold/wet Spring, however is it usual to be picking delicious ripe tomatoes in mid October?

I guess we’re benefitting from lack of good and lack of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
36 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I was more intrigued by 18c at night. That is just insane for late October. Do we even get seasons any more? We're now halfway through meteorological Autumn and it's not been cold at all. As you say, nothing has happened really except it's only gradually got cooler, and still doesn't feel seasonal. High teens by day and low to mid teens (or even high teens?!) at night isn't how I remember October.

That too! Halloween is a banker for a warm, dry evening. Always is these days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

2021 has certainly been a disappointing year for those who like proper seasons. 

Spring took forever to properly get underway, and the same has been happening with autumn. Jan and Feb were disappointing as they had opportunities to deliver a decent amount of snow but failed to do so. Summer was meh, as we had no plumes and thunderstorms were in very short supply. That hot spell we had in mid July wasn't really a plume and it felt rather oppresive. 

I suppose some may see this autumn as being payback for the cool and wet May. But I just want proper seasonal weather, whatever the season.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Glorious again today here, blue skies and just hit 17c this location has been lucky the last few days.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

We've had very mild spells late October in recent years. Notably 2014. It's a time of year renowned for being Atlantic driven.

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

2021 has certainly been a disappointing year for those who like proper seasons. 

Spring took forever to properly get underway, and the same has been happening with autumn. Jan and Feb were disappointing as they had opportunities to deliver a decent amount of snow but failed to do so. Summer was meh, as we had no plumes and thunderstorms were in very short supply. That hot spell we had in mid July wasn't really a plume and it felt rather oppresive. 

I suppose some may see this autumn as being payback for the cool and wet May. But I just want proper seasonal weather, whatever the season.

Winter felt like winter this year here.. likewise summer. Spring not so.. and it is a late Autumn again.. the shoulder seasons are shrinking and merging with winter and summer.. except summer seems to be lengthening.

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Winter felt like winter this year here.. likewise summer. Spring not so.. and it is a late Autumn again.. the shoulder seasons are shrinking and merging with winter and summer.. except summer seems to be lengthening.

Summer doesn’t appear to be lengthening where I live. It’s becoming more like an early autumn. This year felt like winter took forever to lose its grip, even into May, when it was still cold and daytime maxes were only touching 10-15c, and for mid to late May was appalling. 

I don’t see anything unusual about the current weather since September to be honest. It’s just been a slow decline in temps, with a few warm sunny days being thrown in for good measure. The mornings and evenings have been generally quite chilly at times, with the few milder ones thrown in. Nothing really shocking about it.

I personally find autumn quite a boring time for weather. It’s never warm enough for anything spectacular, and never cold enough for snow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

My poor tortoise is fed up of this uninspiring mild borefest too.  Its not warm enough for him to be active but not quite cold enough to go to sleep.  He’s confused with the topsy turvy seasons and so am I

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Summer doesn’t appear to be lengthening where I live. It’s becoming more like an early autumn. This year felt like winter took forever to lose its grip, even into May, when it was still cold and daytime maxes were only touching 10-15c, and for mid to late May was appalling. 

I don’t see anything unusual about the current weather since September to be honest. It’s just been a slow decline in temps, with a few warm sunny days being thrown in for good measure. The mornings and evenings have been generally quite chilly at times, with the few milder ones thrown in. Nothing really shocking about it.

I personally find autumn quite a boring time for weather. It’s never warm enough for anything spectacular, and never cold enough for snow. 

September was miles above average though (second warmest on record for the UK), and October is running well above average and looks to be staying that way for another 7 days at least. Maybe not shocking, but it was up there for all time warmth.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
49 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

My poor tortoise is fed up of this uninspiring mild borefest too.  Its not warm enough for him to be active but not quite cold enough to go to sleep.  He’s confused with the topsy turvy seasons and so am I

Play him your Rolling Stones collection, SC -- one very happy tortoise!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

September was way above average in the UK, wouldn’t say it was normal though after the generally crap summer, very pleasant for most, I’d have thought. Of course this all comes after one of the coldest Springs ever recorded, which seems to have been forgotten on here, somewhat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

September was way above average in the UK, wouldn’t say it was normal though after the generally crap summer, very pleasant for most, I’d have thought. Of course this all comes after one of the coldest Springs ever recorded, which seems to have been forgotten on here, somewhat.

Coldest Springs ever recorded?...have my doubts about that comment, March was +1.5, April -1.5 and May -1c in comparison to the 61-90 CET series, I find it very hard to believe we haven't got a year where Spring has averaged 0.33c below for each month of the season based on the above (maybe the last 20 years). A number in the 70's and 80's were colder.

Agree with the rest though, worst Summer since 2012 (though not as cold) and September in my backyard felt like at least a +3c anomaly month!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Warm Septembers can follow very poor summers. 1985 was awful, and September that year was very warm, also October 85 was much warmer than this month. 

I know it was warm for a few days, but some people on here seem to be doom and gloom with a few days of above average warmth in September, yet, they conveniently forget the chilly spells in April, and cold and damp during May. 

The recent mild weather is balancing things out. In any case, it's not been that hot at all, just warm at times.

• Like 2