Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Heating on again! It does half get cool/cold quick as the sun dissappears at the moment. Especially when the high is 15c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

My heating is on too! Brrr! Esp as the kids keep leaving the blinking door open!

But, by the time the first 30C day comes around, they'll be leaving them all closed. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Not put the heating on yet and will hold off til November but I live in the south west   An extra layer until then else I'll panic about an expensive gas bill

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

But, by the time the first 30C day comes around, they'll be leaving them all closed. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!

Soooo true lol!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
13 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Not put the heating on yet and will hold off til November 

Same, we have had a few chilly nights down here in Essex but the daytime sun warms the house up and there is no real cold weather expected anytime soon so may make it to November!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
21 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Other Octobers that featured potent northerlies end of the month include 2010 and 2012. 

I tend to include October in the 'lighter' part of the year.. this year clocks go back on the last day which will help a bit. The dark period comes after the clocks go back until they go forward. Mind the change 31 October will be mighty...

That was kind of the point I was making - October can be in the 'lighter' part if the weather is fine - as this year currently and hopefully for a while to come - but if it's persistently wet and cyclonic it can seem in the darker, gloomy part of the year despite still being on BST. Octobers 2019 and 2020 were bad in this regard.

Likewise I wouldn't count March in the 'dark' part of the year unless it is fantastically dull and gloomy - as sunset has advanced to a reasonable hour even before you change the clocks and March has something of a tendency for settled weather types anyhow. Nonetheless a lot of people do seem to take some time to realise that the sun is now setting at 1800, not 1600: frequently I have been around popular countryside areas around 1700 in early March and it's broad daylight but deserted. No other time of year has that combination.

In a 'bad' year I'd class the 'dark' period as the whole of Oct-Feb (2019/20 is surely the worst example, no other year of my lifetime has had such a persistently unsettled, dull, wet and gloomy autumn/winter combined. Perhaps other non-weather factors contributed to my dark perception of that season, but I'm sure the stats for those five months combined would show something noteworthy such as fantastically high rainfall and rain-days, low sunshine levels, low mean pressure and preponderance of SW winds).

In a 'good' year with a settled Oct and Feb I'd restrict it to the dates the sun sets before 1700 local time, which here is the last Sunday in Oct (thankfully the latest possible date this year, as you say; 'Dark Sunday' was me) until early Feb.

Winter 11/12 was surely the least bad for gloominess; while I'd still class the whole of Nov-Jan as 'dark' due to the silly-early sunsets, both Nov and Jan had decent sunshine levels. December was the only really grotty month of that winter.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 12/10/2021 at 11:29, Summer8906 said:

That was kind of the point I was making - October can be in the 'lighter' part if the weather is fine - as this year currently and hopefully for a while to come - but if it's persistently wet and cyclonic it can seem in the darker, gloomy part of the year despite still being on BST. Octobers 2019 and 2020 were bad in this regard.

Winter 11/12 was surely the least bad for gloominess; while I'd still class the whole of Nov-Jan as 'dark' due to the silly-early sunsets, both Nov and Jan had decent sunshine levels. December was the only really grotty month of that winter.

Yes those Octobers really added to the long drawn out darker period of the year. 2000 and 2002 were quite similar in that regard, and in both years the Nov and Dec that followed were incredibly dull. Fortunately the following Jan & Feb were quite sunny.

Id add 2014-15 and 2018-19 as two such periods that didn’t seem horrendously dull. Winter 14-15 was very sunny thanks to a lot of cold zonality. October 18 and February 2019 were both very sunny, and January was sunny enough here. Only December was horrifically dull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

autumn officially ended here yesterday and winter started..had our first snowfall of the season ..temps now have dropped below freezing overnight every night in the last 5-7 days and will remain that way..and of course it will continue to slowly get colder as  October progresses

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
22 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

autumn officially ended here yesterday and winter started..had our first snowfall of the season ..temps now have dropped below freezing overnight every night in the last 5-7 days and will remain that way..and of course it will continue to slowly get colder as  October progresses

sounds like a snaw fest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

sounds like a snaw fest

yep the next 6 months for weather and daylight will be a real drag

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yep the next 6 months for weather and daylight will be a real drag

Darkness and cold are a bleak mix

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
52 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Sounds hard, too early for winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Sounds hard, too early for winter

Hi, SB. I can't help but notice just how the following emoji looks like you. Did you model for it? 

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Darkness and cold are a bleak mix

I know it probably sounds weird but the darker and drearier the better for me. Add in the prospect of some snow and storms and the next 6/7months are a goer for me.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Forecast was so way off today it beggar's belief. How can they in 2021 get it so wrong?

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I know it probably sounds weird but the darker and drearier the better for me. Add in the prospect of some snow and storms and the next 6/7months are a goer for me.

Throw loads of snaw in and it gets me through the dark and cold as well❄️

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Throw loads of snaw in and it gets me through the dark and cold as well❄️

It's not dark with bright snow on the ground. It's the equivelent of 30c lol

• Like 3

Posted
38 minutes ago, markyo said:

Forecast was so way off today it beggar's belief. How can they in 2021 get it so wrong?

You do have to laugh though. Since this much heralded, vaunted and talked about high pressure arrived late last week, it's rained every other day in London. Just chucked it down again. Briefly mind. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
18 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

You do have to laugh though. Since this much heralded, vaunted and talked about high pressure arrived late last week, it's rained every other day in London. Just chucked it down again. Briefly mind. 

I find that blue skies prevail more under low pressure,at least here anyway, high pressure is almost always cloudy away from summer.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
27 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Over 4hrs of heavy rain now.....from light  cloud and sunny intervals!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Watched 6:30 BBC forecast.

Showed a beautiful photo of clear blue sky and brilliant colored seas.

Used as a justification of their forecasts last night.

Oh by the way the rest of the country was very cool dark and drizzly.

The photo was from Guernsey.

MIA

Posted

I’m finding the benign cool to mild weather quite boring now. Just been cool and cloudy today and the forecast is showing similar weather all week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I have to say, I thought that about a week ago this high-pressure spell would be much warmer than it actually is. Apart from a few mild nights, this spell has actually felt really chilly and often been quite gloomy, though there have been some sunny spells but even some of the nights I felt quite cold. For the first time it’s getting unpleasant to wear a T-shirt in the evening. I went out on the 10th and was surprised at how chilly and drizzly it was, though it did brighten up later. Despite the temperature being a little warmer than average so far in the CET it’s actually felt really quite seasonably chilly so far, though I suppose you could say that since September was so warm even a slightly milder than average October would feel quite cold in comparison.