Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
18 hours ago, MP-R said:

It made for such a monotonous year. Yes January was quite cold for a lot of the time. May was very westerly though, so definitely better further east. In fact you've reminded me of the gales on the third weekend of that month.

Yes, I do remember May was rather bland, which would fit in with being predominantly westerly - but not terrible (not a lot of heavy rain, but perhaps drizzle every few days). May is more usually blocked, with easterlies prevalent - and it's that blocked nature which gives May its more usual reputation as one of the most interesting months of the year.  Don't remember any gales though, just a lot of rather nondescript cloudy weather. The first few days continued the dry easterlies of April though - I recall the Bank Holiday Monday having a bank of cloud to the south associated with low pressure over France, which thankfully never progressed north so it was a windy but dry and fine day. The weather changed with a weak thundery trough on the first Friday night, IIRC.

May 2015 was rather similar, so much so that I frequently get the two mixed up.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Much brighter weather today, with a mix of cloud and sunshine. Relatively cool-feeling though.

Only two days late!

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

2016 was a non-entity of a year weatherwise struggle to think of anything interesting about it.

While there were individual terrible months (June, for instance - as well as January) 2016 wasn't terrible overall, in the sense that there were a number of acceptable-to-good months (March, April, May, August, October, November).  After such a dire winter the spring was quite interesting: March cold (which I welcomed, as nature needed to slow down after the silly mild of the winter) but mostly bright and sunny; April cool but with bright and convectively-interesting northerlies; and May warm and sunny with some thundery outbreaks.

2002 wasn't great, though it did have a decent April and September (where have I heard that before?), and the second half of summer, while not so sunny, was consistently warm.

1974 looks like it was a poor year in the sense that it began and ended with exceptionally mild winter weather, and had a cool cloudy summer in between. I was around then, but too young to remember it.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
13 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I wouldn't put 2021 up there with 2011 as far as monotonous years go, there was some interest in the winter (although I get the impression that January in particular would've been much snowier at low levels had the same synoptics happened 20 years ago),

Maybe more like 30-40 years ago; 2001 was well into the mild-winter phase that we've experienced, with only a short break from 2009-13, since winter 1987/88. I recall a number of occasions from that period when favourable synoptics produced less-cold weather than had been experienced in the eighties. For instance January 2001 had a lengthy anticyclonic period without a noticeable westerly feed, but it never got that cold.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 09/10/2021 at 16:32, prolongedSnowLover said:

Could the volcano in the Canary Islands affect the weather this winter to promote more cooling ?

I don’t think it’s big enough 

7 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Could the volcano in the Canary Islands affect the weather this winter to promote more cooling ?

No it’s barely a hiccup in volcanic terms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Stafford been worst hit again, north had the sun yesterday, South today! thing is now in this area only PM air will clear the murk, and I hate PM air

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful clear sunny day here in Prague, but chilly with 13°C the max. Lovely view of the Moon and Venus conjunction this evening

AD987716-7D5F-47FF-919B-CF14E6A853AE.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lovely mellow autumn day today. A far cry from last Saturday... Mostly sunny, 20 degrees, and still warm enough to comfortably wear shorts to and from the gym.

Posted

Ended up a nice day here, particularly the afternoon. Atmospheric sunset with clear and slightly hazy conditions and the crescent moon (though didn't spot Venus).

• Like 1

Posted

Sunny but rather chilly here the past couple of days. Had the heating on for the first time this autumn last night.

Today is overcast and still only 9C at midday. Feels like quite a shock coming out of summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Another boring, sunny day.  It's bizarre just how settled it's been, and the fact the trees are still almost fully green let alone in leaf is getting a bit disturbing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Simon M said:

Another boring, sunny day.  It's bizarre just how settled it's been, and the fact the trees are still almost fully green let alone in leaf is getting a bit disturbing.

The turning of the trees is finally starting to become more noticeable in my neck of the woods, but it does seem to be a very slow process this year. I know it's still relatively early days yet, but with the exception of the early Sept hot spell and the unsettled spell at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct, it has been a very uninspiring autumn so far with not much of a variety. Autumn is normally my favourite season due to the variety it often brings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Out of interest, seeing the discussion on the late turning of the leaves, does anyone remember on how quickly the leaves turned during the very warm autumn spells in 1999, 2005, 2006, 2011 etc? I imagine especially in 2006 they must have been very late to turn, though it was often unsettled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Beautiful sunshine again today - perfect for getting out and about. Sat outside very comfortably on Bristol harbourside with coffee until gone 5pm. It was a lovely atmosphere, more like late August than approaching mid October. While it's still achievable to attain these conditions, the wind and rain can wait. We all know that's what we'll get for so much of the winter anyway...  

• Like 5

Posted

Splendid afternoon.  Beautiful sunshine.Pleasant. Warmer today even thought it was supposed to be cooler than Friday which was actually cooler than today. Rather hoping this will last for much of the autumn given that summer failed to deliver and spring was just an extension of winter. Mother Nature sometimes intervenes to redress the balance! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
On 10/10/2021 at 12:21, Simon M said:

This paper might explain it.  Possibly the cold start to spring would have delayed leaf growth, hence later dormancy.  Ignore the cookies turned off message.

ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

4805126B-945F-4889-8CF5-1A748662C901.jpeg

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted

No moans today. True, a rather cloudy morning and there was very light drizzle between 0930-1000, but the cold front clearance started appearing around midday and the afternoon was very nice - sunny with good visibility.

Deep red sky after sunset too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
18 hours ago, Simon M said:

It’s probably due to spring this year being one of the coldest ever recorded? Leaves are turning here now quite quickly and with the sunshine and deep blue skies are looking beautiful  

B77C0770-0E8F-4A82-B4AF-D7AF22328912.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

h500slp.thumb.png.bcc27406d35bd2dfb7118dc331cb092f.png

Alba.

Proper Kilt Lifter

Ready to blow away the gloom.

Posted
On 09/10/2021 at 20:19, stainesbloke said:

Beautiful clear sunny day here in Prague, but chilly with 13°C the max. Lovely view of the Moon and Venus conjunction this evening

AD987716-7D5F-47FF-919B-CF14E6A853AE.jpeg

Very nice picture. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

h500slp.thumb.png.bcc27406d35bd2dfb7118dc331cb092f.png

Alba.

Proper Kilt Lifter

Ready to blow away the gloom.

GFS 06z does look interesting to say the least.

Down here that setup should produce some decent sunshine totals with winds predominantly in the north.

Somewhat reminiscent of 2008.

Maybe this is the start of the cold November that a lot of people are predicting, we will see.

Anything other than endless cyclonic SW-lies will be fine. It makes a huge difference if both October and February produce decent weather - the 'dark' and 'gloomy' part of the year can reduce from almost 6 months to little over three.

• Like 3

Posted
29 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

GFS 06z does look interesting to say the least.

Down here that setup should produce some decent sunshine totals with winds predominantly in the north.

Somewhat reminiscent of 2008.

Maybe this is the start of the cold November that a lot of people are predicting, we will see.

Anything other than endless cyclonic SW-lies will be fine. It makes a huge difference if both October and February produce decent weather - the 'dark' and 'gloomy' part of the year can reduce from almost 6 months to little over three.

Other Octobers that featured potent northerlies end of the month include 2010 and 2012. 

I tend to include October in the 'lighter' part of the year.. this year clocks go back on the last day which will help a bit. The dark period comes after the clocks go back until they go forward. Mind the change 31 October will be mighty...

Someone called the day the clocks go back.. 'dark Sunday.. more so this year coinciding with Halloween!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1