Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Southern England getting the stubborn cloudy end of the stick for the 1,345th this year. It’s getting beyond a joke now.

Group hug mate. I need it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
55 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Injection of polar air is what we need! 

The critical question is what would be the track of the Atlantic lows?

If it's NW-SE, then yes, we would get some clear sunny polar air and probably frosty ridges - think November 1996.

If it's SW-NE, then we get rPm between the lows, which if the pressure is high might not be too bad (mild and bright) but if pressure is low, all we get is wind and rain with dull and damp in between - such as the horror show which was autumn/winter 2019/20.

Of course, polar air with high pressure is now the best of both worlds. In summer this can be subject to stratocumulus 'infill' but not so much now.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Southern England getting the stubborn cloudy end of the stick for the 1,345th this year. It’s getting beyond a joke now.

Incidentally is it the south which is getting the worst of the weather currently? Are other parts of the UK sunnier?

Edited by Summer8906

6 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Incidentally is it the south which is getting the worst of the weather currently? Are other parts of the UK sunnier?

CB059D68-F3BF-4881-9EE4-0EBCA16A7A78.thumb.jpeg.e2b4ca3b9a6f3a3d8ba522bba91696a2.jpeg

The cloud is extensive today but its not like its piling in from the south and south west.  It’s a single large patch that refuses to break with the back edge only hand full of miles of the south coast. Once you get past the middle of the channel there isn’t another cloud until you get to the tropical waves in west Africa. 

Posted
Just now, Alderc said:

CB059D68-F3BF-4881-9EE4-0EBCA16A7A78.thumb.jpeg.e2b4ca3b9a6f3a3d8ba522bba91696a2.jpeg

The cloud is extensive today but its not like its piling in from the south and south west.  It’s a single large patch that refuses to break with the back edge only hand full of miles of the south coast. Once you get past the middle of the channel there isn’t another cloud until you get to the tropical waves in west Africa. 

Thanks, after posting I saw that pic on the S/SW regional thread...

• Like 1

Posted

Feeling very warm here today with high humidity and little wind.. Almost unbroken sunshine all day and a max temp of 21.1C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
31 minutes ago, reef said:

Feeling very warm here today with high humidity and little wind.. Almost unbroken sunshine all day and a max temp of 21.1C.

Yes,crazy sunny and 20 deg here,warmer in the second week of October than half of the entire summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The anticylonic gloom persists (yawn). 2021 has certainly been a trying year for weather enthusiasts. 

If we are going to have high pressure, then at this time of the year I'd like to see some chilly foggy nights/mornings as well as maybe a ground frost or two, which will really kick autumn into gear. Chilly foggy nights/mornings have been very few and far between so far this season. Let's hope the second half of autumn will be more interesting.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted

It’s been such a boring year for weather in the south and London area. A rubbish summer, following a terrible May. The only good thing was the one day of snow and some colder periods of weather in January and February, and the cold chilly sunny days in April.

The cloudiness has become very tiresome and boring. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 08/10/2021 at 17:27, Sunny76 said:

It’s been such a boring year for weather in the south and London area. A rubbish summer, following a terrible May. The only good thing was the one day of snow and some colder periods of weather in January and February, and the cold chilly sunny days in April.

The cloudiness has become very tiresome and boring. 

Similar in boringness to the last year ending in 1 as it happens... 2011. Only that year at least April was gorgeous and the highly unusual heatwave in late Sept / early Oct made for a memorable started to my second year of uni.

Thankfully July was also quite sunny here, as well as the first half of June. Bit noticeable has been the lack of any extremes and we are way down on thunder days here.

Posted
7 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Similar in boringness to the last year ending in 1 as it happens... 2011. Only that year at least April was gorgeous and the highly unusual heatwave in late Sept / early Oct made for a memorable started to my second year of uni.

Thankfully July was also quite sunny here, as well as the first half of June. Bit noticeable has been the lack of any extremes and we are way down on thunder days here.

2011 - the year when the only three cooler-than-average months were June, July and August - you couldn't make it up.

However it wasn't all bad. March and April were very nice as was much of the autumn, from the end of September through to about 20th November. January and May weren't terrible either.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 08/10/2021 at 17:37, Summer8906 said:

2011 - the year when the only three cooler-than-average months were June, July and August - you couldn't make it up.

However it wasn't all bad. March and April were very nice as was much of the autumn, from the end of September through to about 20th November. January and May weren't terrible either.

It made for such a monotonous year. Yes January was quite cold for a lot of the time. May was very westerly though, so definitely better further east. In fact you've reminded me of the gales on the third weekend of that month.

Posted
On 08/10/2021 at 17:37, Summer8906 said:

After the very cold year of 2010, 2011 must’ve been a shock. I can certainly remember the warm April and bizarre heatwave late September. At least 2012 and 2013 was better in terms of cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I wouldn't put 2021 up there with 2011 as far as monotonous years go, there was some interest in the winter (although I get the impression that January in particular would've been much snowier at low levels had the same synoptics happened 20 years ago), an unusual warm spell at the end of March, and April was somewhat unusual for being very cold and very dry and sunny.  A bit dull and depressing from May onwards towards the SE though.

2002 still sticks out for me as probably the most boring year for weather that I've lived through, but 2011 isn't far behind.  2011 for me was partly redeemed by the record-breaking April and the heatwave at the end of September.

Posted

I’m not surprised by the cloudiness on what was supposed to a sunny day. That is the theme for 2021 after all

I think 2011 is quite iconic for the warm sunny April and the hot end to September and early October. I don’t remember the summer weather but the spring and autumn were very memorable. It also stands out as a warm year compared to 2010, 2012 and 2013 which all featured prominent cold periods.

• Like 1

Posted
On 08/10/2021 at 23:04, Thundery wintry showers said:

2002 still sticks out for me as probably the most boring year for weather that I've lived through, but 2011 isn't far behind.  2011 for me was partly redeemed by the record-breaking April and the heatwave at the end of September.

Definitely agree about 2002 overall, although I can remember at least 1 or 2 interesting weather instances per month for that year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, Alderc said:

Ugh, just says it all, the UK is such a cloud magnet

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Definitely agree about 2002 overall, although I can remember at least 1 or 2 interesting weather instances per month for that year.

2016 was a non-entity of a year weatherwise struggle to think of anything interesting about it.

9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

2016 was a non-entity of a year weatherwise struggle to think of anything interesting about it.

The most interesting thing about 2016 was the overnight period in the two day hot spell in July. A strong easterly wind generated a foehn type effect here and the official temps didn’t drop below 25C until 4am, the wind dropped out and the temp fell 7C in 20mins. Another few hours and it would have been the warmest night on record. 

Posted
On 08/10/2021 at 23:38, damianslaw said:

True, although being sunnier made a massive difference. Everything is less boring when it’s sunny.

The standouts for me that year were: the unusual storminess in Feb, the cold spells in April, the thundery May, a good August, the mid September hot spell with thunder, the sunny October and a very enjoyable seasonal November. Overall, I enjoyed autumn 2016. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
57 minutes ago, Alderc said:

The most interesting thing about 2016 was the overnight period in the two day hot spell in July. A strong easterly wind generated a foehn type effect here and the official temps didn’t drop below 25C until 4am, the wind dropped out and the temp fell 7C in 20mins. Another few hours and it would have been the warmest night on record. 

I think this night holds the highest cet minimum record at 19.5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Was cloudy to start with yesterday, but I headed to the coast and it was lovely  and this morning seems lovely but who knows how long that will last

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 2