Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Try it, i love it. Just  is so peaceful and relaxing

I could see that actually! As it's so quiet. Hmm ... Not safe for me as a woman to be out at night mind

Posted

I wonder if the Met Office will give out a weather warning for this weekend? 

They seem quite inconsistent, as they’ve given out weather warnings in the past for things which had little to no effect on things. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 01/10/2021 at 00:55, Josh Rubio said:

I wonder if the Met Office will give out a weather warning for this weekend? 

They seem quite inconsistent, as they’ve given out weather warnings in the past for things which had little to no effect on things. 

I have noticed on some models that the low has shifted further south on several runs.  The UKV was showing 55mph max gusts for here, its dropped down to 40mph now.

Wet, though..

viewimage.thumb.png.c15be05fbedcaf4de04b15ac6196453b.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

5°C here this morning, brrr Clear blue skies with it ☀️ Still can’t smell much a year after getting covid, but I’m imagining that ‘scent’ of autumn and chilly weather is in the air 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just got caught under the heavy showers running across the W Midlands now. A good deal more widespread than I'd expected given the forecast, so I'm not very pleased at having to change clothes this early in the day! I think I've said this before, but if the Met Office (+others) are going to invest heavily in more forecasting skill, I'd rather they did something about trying to predict very short-term showers. Maybe just subjective, but I don't think they do quite as good a job in that area as they do in other areas. I know it's hard, but the MetO have the expertise and the firepower. It would be a lot more use to many people than extending the "moderately reliable" overall picture from 6 days to 7 or whatever.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

1st of October and a beauty of a day to start the new month, 17°C currently 

9CCE10B1-A282-4809-8DBD-451ACBEFCB49.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, markyo said:

Try it, i love it. Just  is so peaceful and relaxing

No thanks. I don’t want to walk around in the dark in West London late at night. It’s not safe, and to add to that, it’s bleak if it’s raining.

Sitting at home and listening to the rain is relaxing.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

5°C here this morning, brrr Clear blue skies with it ☀️ Still can’t smell much a year after getting covid, but I’m imagining that ‘scent’ of autumn and chilly weather is in the air 

Autumn and winter is much nicer in central or Eastern Europe, or north eastern North America. More cold and dry weather, and less windy rainy rubbish.

• Like 4

Posted
13 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I could see that actually! As it's so quiet. Hmm ... Not safe for me as a woman to be out at night mind

In London or any big city, it wouldn’t be safe for a man let alone a woman. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

In London or any big city, it wouldn’t be safe for a man let alone a woman. 

Not a problem in Sheffield, though i agree women alone not a good idea, in a group no issue. It's just that peace you get from the drop in traffic levels coupled with the quite streets. Clears your head and i just love it.

Edited by markyo
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
27 minutes ago, markyo said:

Not a problem in Sheffield, though i agree women alone not a good idea, in a group no issue. It's just that peace you get from the drop in traffic levels coupled with the quite streets. Clears your head and i just love it.

back in Canada after my 9 days back home..weather pretty much played ball the whole time except on Tuesday when it rained all day..here Autumn is rapidly fading although it has been nice ...trees are in the last throws and many are completely bare..winter in now just 2/3 weeks away

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

back in Canada after my 9 days back home..weather pretty much played ball the whole time except on Tuesday when it rained all day..here Autumn is rapidly fading although it has been nice ...trees are in the last throws and many are completely bare..winter in now just 2/3 weeks away

It's pretty incredible how quick and early Autumn's come and go over in Canada with Winter starting so early too. Over here it's what I'd call barely Autumn with many trees still very much green and far from bare in the main. Can't believe we're supposed to be living on near the same latitude.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

I can see what you mean. I walk around my local area in Ealing, and the backstreets are really quiet when it’s raining, as it tends to keep people indoors. 

I tend to prefer a cold dry frosty day. That seems to be the next best thing for me, against a warm sunny day if I’m walking. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

It's pretty incredible how quick and early Autumn's come and go over in Canada with Winter starting so early too. Over here it's what I'd call barely Autumn with many trees still very much green and far from bare in the main. Can't believe we're supposed to be living on near the same latitude.

We are separated by 2000 miles of Atlantic Ocean, which makes a big difference to our weather, despite being on a similar latitude. Marcel 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

yep here some pics i took..near my house 123066095_edmonton2.thumb.jpg.add4d1f0165c9f4c2c3ca14d9e1e08da.jpg763903928_edmonton1.thumb.jpg.9cb7c56b42b0c46f0e378bc1c7211722.jpg1367586410_edmonton3.thumb.jpg.1f9cdc4f9f6246eba46a881d4f1c8d91.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I was in the south Rockies October 2010. No frost at all. On the 20th, Calgary recorded 20 degrees.

Posted
19 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I was in the south Rockies October 2010. No frost at all. On the 20th, Calgary recorded 20 degrees.

I take it that was pretty unusual for the time of year there then?

Certainly wouldn't be here. Mind you a January without frost isn't abnormal here.

Nevertheless I can only assume it would have been warmer than here at the time. I can't say I have strong memories of October 2010, but I don't think it was anything like as warm as that. November and December 2010 were much more memorable for obvious reasons  .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
8 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Met office updated extended forecast. Probably dry Wednesday then unsettled countrywide till the following week at least. 

Screenshot_20211001_152712.jpg

What fun. I'm going to be outdoors a fair amount of next weekend in the E Midlands. I don't mind sunshine and showers, which at least feel right from autumn, but I certainly do mind miserable days with no relief from the bleakness and wet!

Posted
16 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Autumn and winter is much nicer in central or Eastern Europe, or north eastern North America. More cold and dry weather, and less windy rainy rubbish.

Yes, that extra sunshine makes all the difference, been great to see it. Not had much in the way of mist and fog here yet, one my favourite autumn weather types. It can get surprisingly wet and windy here too sometimes, which I don’t mind too much, as it’s not an endless barrage like it often is in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I take it that was pretty unusual for the time of year there then?

Certainly wouldn't be here. Mind you a January without frost isn't abnormal here.

Nevertheless I can only assume it would have been warmer than here at the time. I can't say I have strong memories of October 2010, but I don't think it was anything like as warm as that. November and December 2010 were much more memorable for obvious reasons  .

I was over in Chicago in early October 2010, and the weather was very warm during the first few days. I remember seeing 27-29c being recorded, but for some reason I wasn’t sweating. It was a dry heat.

The temps dropped down to 16-17c during the last few days of my stay. 

• Like 1

Absolute washout, disgusting day. To make it worse I have a leaky roof following having some work down. Radar looks horrendous and I’m worried for my ceiling!!! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I was over in Chicago in early October 2010, and the weather was very warm during the first few days. I remember seeing 27-29c being recorded, but for some reason I wasn’t sweating. It was a dry heat.

The temps dropped down to 16-17c during the last few days of my stay. 

Much of North America has far more distinct and contrasting seasons than we do over in NW Europe. 

Over here we more or less just get a long Spring followed by a long Autumn, punctuated by the odd little Winter and little Summer and just occasionally having a proper version of Winter or Summer. Although we tend to get the odd burst of Summer as well as proper Summers more frequently than Winters these days.

• Like 1