Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 29/09/2021 at 23:14, NEVES SCREAMER said:

If I remember correctly round here we had a heavy snowfall late December and I remember sweeping the drive. A further fall around New Year Day and more snow sweeping. Then a couple of weeks later another snow fall and yet more sweeping. We definitely had 3 if not 4 fairly decent snow falls late December/ then January. I even had to buy a new brush I was that busy clearing the drive. The snow was on the ground for a good while which showed how generally cold it was for about 3 weeks.

Yes indeed. Definitely a better winter further north. We didn't get the snow in late December, and on New Years Day had rain when it was -1 degrees, although there were snow flurries throughout the first 10 days of the month, and two actual snowfalls on the 24th and 31st. All in all it felt like how a typical January should be - either cold and wintry, or cool and wet, with occasional mild blips. The biggest disappointment of the winter was probably the easterly in February - absolutely bitter but hardly any snow down south.

Posted
19 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

*Screams in Scottish* In the words of Billy Connolly: 

I hate all those weathermen, too, who tell you that rain is bad weather. There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little!

If there's no such thing as bad weather then those moaning when it gets over 20 degrees can do the same:)

• Like 4

Posted

Another vile morning. I don't know how some people like this rubbish. It's a complete nuisance and there is nothing interesting or pleasant about it. Fed up with being soaked, frozen and subsequently full of cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

yuck, just had the first taste of autumn and i'm reminded how much I hate cold weather. I went on a boat trip in Poole and I couldn't stand sitting outside with that cold wind, there were many lovely views but I had to sit inside due to that wind and couldn't take pics from inside as the windows were dirty due to the pier water.

I'm so glad autumn has arrived so that I had to wear a thermal vest, a t-shirt and two hoodies over each other and at times hiding my hands in my pockets due to them being frozen, such lovely weather that we're heading into now 

• Like 3

Posted
34 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Another vile morning. I don't know how some people like this rubbish. It's a complete nuisance and there is nothing interesting or pleasant about it. Fed up with being soaked, frozen and subsequently full of cold.

Get used to it mate. Another seven months to go. Proper weather not boring high pressure that doesn't deliver either.

Get a bigger coat and mate.

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Get used to it mate. Another seven months to go. Proper weather not boring high pressure that doesn't deliver either.

Get a bigger coat and mate.

Because grey sky, wind and rain is so interesting 

A coat hasn't stopped me getting sick from this crap. Doesn't stop disruption to all my outdoor plans (hiking, running etc) either. 

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
42 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

yuck, just had the first taste of autumn and i'm reminded how much I hate cold weather. I went on a boat trip in Poole and I couldn't stand sitting outside with that cold wind, there were many lovely views but I had to sit inside due to that wind and couldn't take pics from inside as the windows were dirty due to the pier water.

I'm so glad autumn has arrived so that I had to wear a thermal vest, a t-shirt and two hoodies over each other and at times hiding my hands in my pockets due to them being frozen, such lovely weather that we're heading into now 

Countdown to March begins here:  151 days to go. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

After several weeks of monotony, I love how people are fed up with these current conditions already when it only started a couple of days ago. We are in autumn now, so autumnal weather is to be expected. But each to our own, and I am very much respectful of others views. If we all had the same interests then the moans thread wouldn't make for an interesting read. 

Still, as previously mentioned I don't want it to rain for weeks on end either. A variety is what keeps things interesting imo. No matter the weather, it gets boring after a few weeks.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This has been the most interesting weather week in months. It does surprise me how much complaining there is for a forum of weather enthusiasts!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

This has been the most interesting weather week in months. It does surprise me how much complaining there is for a forum of weather enthusiasts!

People became uses to the warmth of much of September and perhaps not ready for the change. Physchologically given all the upheaval of last 18 months I suspect many are not quite ready for the darker months and would like another summer given the last two were interfered with!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Seasonal weather is great, and the past week has been perfectly seasonal - plenty of wind & rain but also lot's of chilly sunshine.

I'll take this week's sunny spells over most of the recent summer's "high" pressure which delivered countless cloudy days IMBY. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Always a sucker for some sun and so far this month it has exceeded that of August so can't complain too much about the overcast day today. 172.7 hours at Manston this month compared to 170.3 last month.

Do like it cool but the overcast conditions with nowt really happening right now can happily go away. 

Looking forward to Sat/Sun with the interesting weather arriving in terms of that low sweeping across the country. 

We'll all have to get used to this gloom and doom inevitably even if it is dull and boring a good 80% of the time. The lack of sun will definitely take a toll on me for sure!

Autumn and going into winter is usually the most interesting part of the year in the terms of model watching compared to that of spring into summer with high pressure dominant for weeks at a time.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Seasonal weather is great, and the past week has been perfectly seasonal - plenty of wind & rain but also lot's of chilly sunshine.

I'll take this week's sunny spells over most of the recent summer's "high" pressure which delivered countless cloudy days IMBY. 

I'm feeling this. Just to see the sun is enough. Summer was Autumn. I'll take Autumns summer lol. Temperature wise - Don't care ... Just wanna see the friendly ball in the sky!

• Like 3

Posted

Love a windy day- got blown about a bit walking into work this afternoon. As long as it's not piddling it down at the same time while I'm out, I'm all good!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely day here, mainly sunny and 16°C, no complaints ?? There has been some interesting weather lately, typical of autumn. As long as there’s plenty of sunshine in between the interesting weather, I’m ok

Posted

Endless grey skies and rain for days on end. Really failing to see where the interest or variability is. A weather enthusiast getting excited over this rubbish is like an art enthusiast getting excited over watching paint dry, only the paint drying doesn't disrupt plans and or make one ill.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Such a change to walk home in the breeze and occasional drizzle.  Made for a nice change; lovely bit of Autumn weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
On 29/09/2021 at 12:40, NorthernRab said:

*Screams in Scottish* In the words of Billy Connolly: 

I hate all those weathermen, too, who tell you that rain is bad weather. There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little!

Exactly! And I aim that at many folk up here as well as elsewhere who complain about weather. Here in Glasgow it rains a lot, one of the rainiest major cities in Europe. We should be used to it and accommodating with it. 

Up in Fort William, the wettest town in the UK (and the town of the limp, being at the end of the West Highland Way), they have a bakery called rain. That’s the spirit. I think in the west of Scotland we should start a waterproof clothing range called ‘stoatin it doon’.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!
On 29/09/2021 at 06:06, philglossop said:

Kalimera from Zakynthos! 

As my Greek friends are telling me, the weather here is heading down towards Winter and we are only getting temps into mid 20s now with thunderstorms expected. 

Gather Autumn has hit Plymouth with some flash flooding yesterday! 

Kalimera Zakynthos - that brings back so many happy memories  I lived there for 5 years and winters were amazing, bright and sunny but not necessarily that warm. There was actually snow on the mountains for 3 winters while I was there. It never lasted more than a day or 2 before the sun came out again though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Walking at night in the rain? lol

Try it, i love it. Just  is so peaceful and relaxing

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
On 29/09/2021 at 06:06, philglossop said:

Kalimera from Zakynthos! 

As my Greek friends are telling me, the weather here is heading down towards Winter and we are only getting temps into mid 20s now with thunderstorms expected. 

Gather Autumn has hit Plymouth with some flash flooding yesterday! 

Kalimera!

Hoping you are enjoying one of my favourite islands. I love the turn of the season in Greece, still lovely and warm but things get a bit electric!

Posted
1 hour ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Exactly! And I aim that at many folk up here as well as elsewhere who complain about weather. Here in Glasgow it rains a lot, one of the rainiest major cities in Europe. We should be used to it and accommodating with it. 

Up in Fort William, the wettest town in the UK (and the town of the limp, being at the end of the West Highland Way), they have a bakery called rain. That’s the spirit. I think in the west of Scotland we should start a waterproof clothing range called ‘stoatin it doon’.

Water proof capital of England is Ambleside, it is after all the wettest town in the country, Windermere is second and Keswick third.

Edited by damianslaw