Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
On 28/09/2021 at 21:06, Alderc said:

I have no idea how anyone can prefer this filth compared to the 22-25C we’ve generally been seeing this month.

Embrace it! lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Will be time to use the excuse of staying indoors and watching films until March.

Nah, I'll still be getting outdoors as much as possible - just means got to plan and prepare a bit more and accept that propably going to be getting wet...

Plenty of time to sit inside and watch films when im old

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Wynn D Woo said:

Nah, I'll still be getting outdoors as much as possible - just means got to plan and prepare a bit more and accept that propably going to be getting wet...

Plenty of time to sit inside and watch films when im old

If it’s raining, I don’t go outside. You can’t do anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
On 14/09/2021 at 16:54, Mapantz said:

The Met Office dropped a real clanger with that warning update this morning. It has to be one of the worst I've seen?! Very strange decision.. 

What happened?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful morning here ☀️ Bit fresh though!

• Like 1

Posted

Well...the outdoor music festival I'm going to  on Saturday afternoon is going to be interesting with all that rain forecast!! I'm hurriedly looking for a pac-a-mac is swift delivery...

It's chilly this morning - first 'jumper to work'  day of the autumn...and the end of getting the ironing board out as the shirts get packed away - hurrah.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

*Screams in Scottish* In the words of Billy Connolly: 

I hate all those weathermen, too, who tell you that rain is bad weather. There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little!

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 9

Posted
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Will be time to use the excuse of staying indoors and watching films until March.

Hibernation - candles, aromatherapy oils of spices and scents, home baking, mulled wine, films, warm baths, home crafts, Autumn decorating, walks in leaves, snow ball fights, comfort food - What's not not to like? We'll get through it mate!

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, simshady said:

Embrace it! lol

I've had this view a few years now. It is no surprise I am a summer lover. I am a skinny mini and I get cold so easily I really struggle with winter. However ... Every season has its beauty and there are ways to survive it. Winter is a time for us to all have down time and self care. We can't avoid it so must make the most of it we can. I have to take this view because I get SAD quite badly. Last year was my worst from January on wards (thanks covid). Remind me of this when I am crying over sheets of cloud nothingness days!!!

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Have a walk and listen to the relaxing sound of the rain on your brolly. My heart says the same as you but my mind knows its good for the soul to get out.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, NorthernRab said:

*Screams in Scottish* In the words of Billy Connolly: 

I hate all those weathermen, too, who tell you that rain is bad weather. There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little!

Joking aside can you recommend some good rain gear? I am going to be doing a lot of cleaning out of chickens over winter in the rain ... I am usually a rain avoider ... I need trousers. I guess its more rain gear that is warm. All I have is thin rain mac! That aint gonna do much on a cold January day ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Beautiful chilly autumn day just made it to 16c still warm in that sun. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Hibernation - candles, aromatherapy oils of spices and scents, home baking, mulled wine, films, warm baths, home crafts, Autumn decorating, walks in leaves, snow ball fights, comfort food - What's not not to like? We'll get through it mate!

I kind of jest with that last comment, as I don't mind park walks, river walks, or other types of walks, as its generally quieter during October to March period(nice sunny mild days aside), but I just find the dark mornings and evenings very difficult to deal with. 

Take today for instance. It's nice in the sunshine now as I walk, but this morning was so cold and dark when I got ready for work. The warmth just made it slightly easier to deal with just recently, but now daytime temps are regularly going to be south of 17c, it's clearly evident the direction of travel into the bleaker months has begun.

I do like elements of the different seasons, but loathe the mild damp rainy stuff which we are normally subjected to. If we had snowier winters or more colder clear days, that would be half the battle. I know last winter was fairly close to what I like about a winter season, with a bit of snow, but like I mentioned earlier, the darkness is just unbearable at times. The lack of light is a depressing factor, and even more so after a dull cloudy summer. September might have just saved us a little bit, so I can't understand why so many complained about the sunny warm spell, which most of us needed.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Have a walk and listen to the relaxing sound of the rain on your brolly. My heart says the same as you but my mind knows its good for the soul to get out.

One of my favorite things, especially at night. It's so soothing.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Hirudine said:

One of my favorite things, especially at night. It's so soothing.

I quite like rain at night in winter. It usually means the temps are fairly mild and there is no frost, ice or fog so I'm not freezing to death scraping the car before work . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
7 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I quite like rain at night in winter. It usually means the temps are fairly mild and there is no frost, ice or fog so I'm not freezing to death scraping the car before work . 

Rain is nice at night but if you work outside scraping ice off the car generally means a sunny day with some radiant heat whereas if it is raining you are going to get wet and that is colder than a sunny day,in winter anyway!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, hillbilly said:

Rain is nice at night but if you work outside scraping ice off the car generally means a sunny day with some radiant heat whereas if it is raining you are going to get wet and that is colder than a sunny day,in winter anyway!

Yes. But the rain might clear by 9am and it could be bright and mild!!

• Like 1

Posted

Despite being a summer person, there’s lots to like about October, November and December. 
Colourful leaves on the trees , Halloween , Bonfire Night and Christmas are exciting aspects of the upcoming time of year.

The real depressing time is January, February and March.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
7 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Despite being a summer person, there’s lots to like about October, November and December. 
Colourful leaves on the trees , Halloween , Bonfire Night and Christmas are exciting aspects of the upcoming time of year.

Quite the opposite for me,i much prefer January,february and March over Autumn.The days are heading in the right direction,we are likely to get snow and March is the most interesting month of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Highly agree! January is my killer - February I am filled with hope that it's only a few weeks until Spring. March 1st in the garden regardless of the weather! So my 2 bad months are January and October.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 29/09/2021 at 22:38, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Highly agree! January is my killer - February I am filled with hope that it's only a few weeks until Spring. March 1st in the garden regardless of the weather! So my 2 bad months are January and October.

Agreed. I think January this year wouldn't have been so bad if not for the needless lockdown 3.0. There was a lot of cold and frosty weather. November after the autumn colours have dropped off and it's just wet and blurgh is a close second to January I think.

As you say, the mood lifts a bit in February (unless it's also relentlessly dull) with the knowledge of spring coming and the sun does feel that bit stronger, roughly the same as it does in October. Being such a settled month too, many a Feb has given the first feels of spring.

• Like 1

Posted

Not a fan of November weather. Usually mild wet and dark. However, my spirits are high with the promise of winter and Christmas to come.

The worst prospect is a wet windy mild December.. only Christmas takes the edge off it. Without Christmas oh dear how miserable a month would December be when combined with wet windy mild weather. 

Early January can be a dire period though post christmas slump, very dark still and more often mild wet and windy still.

By mid Jan likelihood of colder drier conditions increases along with snow chances and the light slowly comes back..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Quite a pleasant day round these parts, bright sunshine although the strong breeze took the warm edge off, Autumnal feel due to the diminishing daylight once we get into the early evening!

Posted
15 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Agreed. I think January this year wouldn't have been so bad if not for the needless lockdown 3.0. There was a lot of cold and frosty weather. November after the autumn colours have dropped off and it's just wet and blurgh is a close second to January I think.

As you say, the mood lifts a bit in February (unless it's also relentlessly dull) with the knowledge of spring coming and the sun does feel that bit stronger, roughly the same as it does in October. Being such a settled month too, many a Feb has given the first feels of spring.

If I remember correctly round here we had a heavy snowfall late December and I remember sweeping the drive. A further fall around New Year Day and more snow sweeping. Then a couple of weeks later another snow fall and yet more sweeping. We definitely had 3 if not 4 fairly decent snow falls late December/ then January. I even had to buy a new brush I was that busy clearing the drive. The snow was on the ground for a good while which showed how generally cold it was for about 3 weeks.