Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
9 hours ago, MP-R said:

At times yes, but overall the warm theme continued. I remember quite a few engagements in relatively warm weather that month. That was the October that half term was warm and sunny, and Halloween reached 23 degrees.

The autumn was a weird one, like each month felt like the month before. September felt like August, October like September, November like October etc... At least for quite an Atlantic influenced winter, 14/15 was a sunny one with a lot of Pm conditions.@

Ah yes, I completely forgot all about that. I believe that was the warmest Halloween on record.

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Ah yes, I completely forgot all about that. I believe that was the warmest Halloween on record.

Did you all forget about the thunderstorms overnight in mid September 2014?

I think that was the referendum night. London was hit by a storm.

Similar thing happened in June 2016, during the EU referendum. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Did you all forget about the thunderstorms overnight in mid September 2014?

I think that was the referendum night. London was hit by a storm.

Similar thing happened in June 2016, during the EU referendum. 

Can't recall any thunderstorms over here. ☹️

Though June 2016 rings a bell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

When was the last proper stormy Autumn? I recall a few as a kid apart from the rain fest of 2019 we don’t seem to get Autumn gales like we used to? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, philglossop said:

When was the last proper stormy Autumn? I recall a few as a kid apart from the rain fest of 2019 we don’t seem to get Autumn gales like we used to? 

2017 was a pretty stormy one- 3 named storms in the season and ex-Hurricane Ophelia in mid October.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, MP-R said:

At times yes, but overall the warm theme continued. I remember quite a few engagements in relatively warm weather that month. That was the October that half term was warm and sunny, and Halloween reached 23 degrees.

The autumn was a weird one, like each month felt like the month before. September felt like August, October like September, November like October etc... At least for quite an Atlantic influenced winter, 14/15 was a sunny one with a lot of Pm conditions.@

Yes I barely remember a drop off in temps even in October in 2014. I recall quite a few warm days and as you say that incredible Halloween. Unfortunately up here it wasn't sunny on the 31st, but I remember it feeling very muggy and cloudy with temps around 19C.

Another perfect late September day. I know we are supposed to weather enthusiasts but how anyway can say this weather is boring is beyond me. 6 months of wild, cold crud to come. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Many a recent autumn has been benign. Only ex hurricanes have shook things up a bit. I remember the 1990-94 period being a turbulent one for windy and very wet weather. Cold at times as well.. first snows would often fall by mid October. I think that was to do with cold AMO phase, cold SSTs over Atlantic and very Atlantic driven period. Right now we have anomalous warmth.. complete opposite sea state. 

Spring is fast becoming our most interesting season with extremes. Autumn our least.. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Many a recent autumn has been benign. Only ex hurricanes have shook things up a bit. I remember the 1990-94 period being a turbulent one for windy and very wet weather. Cold at times as well.. first snows would often fall by mid October. I think that was to do with cold AMO phase, cold SSTs over Atlantic and very Atlantic driven period. Right now we have anomalous warmth.. complete opposite sea state. 

Spring is fast becoming our most interesting season with extremes. Autumn our least.. 

Yeah, but wasn't October 1994 quite warm and sunny for a while? I remember it feeling quite warm, off the back of the cold autumns of 1992 and 93. 90-93 was more seasonal, but 1994 heralded a much milder period of weather as I remember. It was very mild going into winter 94/95, compared to the previous one 93/94, which had a chilly November with some snow, even in London, then the cold snowy spell in mid February 1994.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

October 1994 started off with an unusually potent cold snap on the 3rd, with wintry showers locally as far south as the Midlands, and frequent showers of wet snow in Aberdeen, then there was a long anticyclonic spell.  In Tyneside I remember the second week being consistently warm by day, cool by night with lots of hazy sunshine, though the warm sunny spell was more prolonged in the south, and in the north October 1994's sunshine totals were less remarkable. 

Indeed, the Octobers of 1992 and 1993, and to a lesser extent 1991, also produced early wintry spells.  I recall that October 1993 was also quite a sunny month in many parts of the country, but the sunniest spell of that month was exceptionally cold with night frosts, and started with lying snow in Aberdeen.  Certainly there was a run of cool cloudy wet and at times stormy Septembers in 1992-94.  I don't remember much in the way of stormy weather in the Novembers of 1993 and 1994, though the two months had extremely contrasting temperatures (an exceptionally cold easterly in November 1993, and then November 1994 was the warmest on record).

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Lovely again today - and with Wednesday to Saturday inclusive (perhaps even Sunday) looking good down here, I fully intend to enjoy what could be the last 6 days of summer 2021. September delivering the goods where August failed miserably once again!

• Like 5

Posted
26 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Lovely again today - and with Wednesday to Saturday inclusive (perhaps even Sunday) looking good down here, I fully intend to enjoy what could be the last 6 days of summer 2021. September delivering the goods where August failed miserably once again!

Yes had the synoptics of this month started 4 weeks earlier a scorcher if an August would have occurred.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Yes had the synoptics of this month started 4 weeks earlier a scorcher if an August would have occurred.

For sure. If this had been high summer in July/August as you say then every day would have been high twenties rather than low twenties. It’s still nice either way!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Another perfect late September day. I know we are supposed to weather enthusiasts but how anyway can say this weather is boring is beyond me. 6 months of wild, cold crud to come. 

Exactly my thoughts. Sunny weather is anything but boring, no matter what the season or temperature. A grey sheet of nothingness on the other hand is the epitome of boring. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
2 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Exactly my thoughts. Sunny weather is anything but boring, no matter what the season or temperature. A grey sheet of nothingness on the other hand is the epitome of boring. 

Sunny weather sometimes makes me feel irritable, while cloudy weather is usually very calming and relaxing.

More to the point - when is autumn going to actually start?  We're in late September now and it's still a little on the warm side.  I was looking forward to the change to breezier, cloudier and cooler weather but here we go again: sunshine, albeit hazy with temps in the high teens/low twenties.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 minutes ago, Simon M said:

Sunny weather sometimes makes me feel irritable, while cloudy weather is usually very calming and relaxing.

More to the point - when is autumn going to actually start?  We're in late September now and it's still a little on the warm side.  I was looking forward to the change to breezier, cloudier and cooler weather but here we go again: sunshine, albeit hazy with temps in the high teens/low twenties.

Hopefully November. From there it’ll only be 4 months until spring ??

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Simon M said:

Possibly from Monday if you are meaning cooler unsettled conditions from the Atlantic, if today's ensembles and charts verify. They show a trough moving through the UK locked in by heights all around. Alas it was only last weekend, a cooler unsettled outlook was being shown for this Wednesday onwards.. but a major turnaround occurred in space of 24 hrs at that edge of reliable timeframe 120 hrs..Monday is beyond that so don't be surprised to see another turnaround in the next day or so.m but on this occasion I feel this is less likely due to dynamics of the building west Russia high.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

A grey sheet of nothingness on the other hand is the epitome of boring. 

Not for those who struggle with sunshine don't forget. Everybody is different. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
7 hours ago, Scorcher said:

2017 was a pretty stormy one- 3 named storms in the season and ex-Hurricane Ophelia in mid October.

2017 was a dry autumn here though. September brought some stormy weather and I remember Ophelia but for some reason I remember it being benign. Rainfall maps show October and November were really very dry in the SE. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 21/09/2021 at 16:15, Simon M said:

It’s already started here. Despite hitting 22 degrees yesterday, the day started at 7 degrees. Even one of the mornings during the brief hot spell in the first week started with pea soup fog here. Sun has lost strength. Evenings cool off quickly. 

The autumn feel really started in August and has wax and waned since. Despite the relative warmth, it still feels like a ‘warm start to autumn’ rather than a ‘continuation of summer’.

I agree about the lack of proper autumn though. By now we’d have normally had at least one or two windier spells. Even the last settled September of 2018 had a named storm around this time.

• Like 3

Posted

I’m loving this sunny warm spell. Now the days are slightly shorter, the warmth is occupied by a more dry heat. It does feel more like an autumn sun as the days goes by. Nights are starting to feel cold, and getting up in the early morning is cold. 

We had a few warm evenings and mornings last week during the mini hot spell. 

Those complaining about the lack of cool temps won’t have to wait long. They will be here soon. For now though, just enjoying the last slice of warm weather, for another 6 months or so.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

First morning this season dipping into single figures at 9c autumn is definitely here!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I had to de ice the car Monday morning at 7.30am. Lovely to have the cold crisp mornings back. It warmed up later to 18 degrees, too hot to be working in! 

• Like 3