Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
15 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

Just as I was hoping for some wind and rain, it looks like staying dry, settled and warm for the foreseeable. 

I do really dislike September and the nothingness it seems to bring. 

It did look like the atlantic was going to come back in, but the jet stream seems really weak and is getting deflected away easily. if this hold until Winter...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’ll gladly take this nothingness as long as it stays this sunny.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat
58 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

Just as I was hoping for some wind and rain, it looks like staying dry, settled and warm for the foreseeable. 

I'm happy for it to stay like this! It's my boy's birthday on Friday and we're going to a zoo, a couple of days ago we were looking at 13 C and rainy, now it's 20 C and sunny!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

From a meterological point of view, September is certainly a very uninteresting month (bar the few hot days earlier in the month). This year in particular, it seems that whenever we are forecast anything different it gets pushed back. As for cold foggy nights and mornings, I still yet to have those. Though in all fairness, we had our first single digit night-time temp last night, so at least it is gradually getting there! 

I hope by the time October arrives, we get weather far more akin to the time of year... autumnal.

I feel the same way in spring, but in reverse.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

23C, clear skies and light winds into the final tercile of September is top end weather IMO. 

Wish I could say the same buddy..

cloud1.thumb.jpg.2017373e40ed3c597d507ae1dd60f96d.jpg

Today has been well and truly ruined by that trailing front. No rain, but a very cloudy day here while half of the country enjoys a lovely autumn day.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 20/09/2021 at 15:47, Alderc said:

23C, clear skies and light winds into the final tercile of September is top end weather IMO. 

Same here on the Yorkshire coast, blue sky's & 21c, lovely afternoon,

Posted
On 20/09/2021 at 08:29, Scorcher said:

A rare night in single figures. They have been very few and far between going back to early June.

We still haven't dropped below 10.6C here this month.

There's never been a September that hasn't dropped into single figures here, even 2006 and 2016 fell to 8.6C and 8.9C.

It all depends how far south the cooler air pushes down this weekend I think.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

From a meterological point of view, September is certainly a very uninteresting month (bar the few hot days earlier in the month). This year in particular, it seems that whenever we are forecast anything different it gets pushed back. As for cold foggy nights and mornings, I still yet to have those. Though in all fairness, we had our first single digit night-time temp last night, so at least it is gradually getting there! 

I hope by the time October arrives, we get weather far more akin to the time of year... autumnal.

I feel the same way in spring, but in reverse.

Always said September is the most 'trying' month for weather enthusiasts who like extremes and less benign conditions. This month is a prime example. 'Wake me up when September ends' always apt.

Someone mentioned warm sunshine refrain.. yes the weather reporters use this turn of phrase in September but at some point in October switch to say weak sunshine..

More so than ever the media this year have been held on describing summer holding through until the equinox. Not sure if trying to maintain a feel good factor..  but really notable, mind it has been an extension of summer this year especially on the back of a cloudy cool August. 

• Like 2

Posted

I find the sun starts feeling noticeably weaker when the UV index dips below 5, which is about late August / early September.

Having said that though, the weather now is pretty identical to this time in August wrt skies and temperature, yet the sun is noticeably weaker. Pretty good going for this stage in September. 

Personally I'm not finding this weather at all. As I've said before, I'm very enthusiastic about sunshine. If we were suffering anticyclonic gloom, however, I'd probably be wishing in the more traditional Atlantic fare.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
33 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Always said September is the most 'trying' month for weather enthusiasts who like extremes and less benign conditions. This month is a prime example. 'Wake me up when September ends' always apt.

Someone mentioned warm sunshine refrain.. yes the weather reporters use this turn of phrase in September but at some point in October switch to say weak sunshine..

More so than ever the media this year have been held on describing summer holding through until the equinox. Not sure if trying to maintain a feel good factor..  but really notable, mind it has been an extension of summer this year especially on the back of a cloudy cool August. 

Apart from the fading light, it’s to all intents and purposes a summer month. In the south especially. Most days reach 20c, which is still summery, and cet wise it’s not too dissimilar to June. Plus if you hate summer, the lower sun angle means it’s nowhere near as oppressive.

• Like 3

Posted
20 hours ago, Frigid said:

Last winter is a good example also. Here it was the snowiest since 2009/10 and coldest since 2012/13. Became quite cold during first half of Jan which saw the number of covid cases really spike. Lot's of suffering was prevalent

Yeah, last winter was quite cold when compared to the last few, and the coldest overall since 2010/11.

Posted
20 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Certainly parallels there, political changes as well... 1978-79 winter of discontent.. new government in 1979. Generally the early to mid 80s were a time of economic woe, mass unemployment peak in winter 81-82, very cold..

Miners Strike -winter 84-85.

Then the boom years of the late 80s brought 3 very mild winters, followed by recession, just in time for the colder winter of 90-91.. more than a pattern.

A couple of colder winters 95-96, 96-97 followed by change in government...

As you say 08-09 came on the back of the banking fiasco and recession resumed. Oh another change of government after the coldest winter since 78-79.. more than a coincidence..

Even last winter was coldish.. in midst of pandemic.. Brexit as well.. will 21-22 be our next 09-10.. and bring change of government.. mmm unlikely given only 2 years into current term.. but you never know...

Winter 86/87 had that bitter January spell. What was the state of the country during that period?

Posted
20 hours ago, Frigid said:

Last winter is a good example also. Here it was the snowiest since 2009/10 and coldest since 2012/13. Became quite cold during first half of Jan which saw the number of covid cases really spike. Lot's of suffering was prevalent

Correction, I forgot about winter 2012/13. 

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely day here. 19c sunny.  However, very chilly this morning and condensation on the inside of the bedroom window for the first time since May. I could tell. My feet were cold . A sign of things to come. Soon be time to get the big blanket back on the bed. Yuk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Just had my new Winter shorts delivered. Sure sigh it will stay mild this Autumn and Winter sadly. Still waiting for that first cold morning, the one when you open the front door and feel really alive!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
21 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Winter 86/87 had that bitter January spell. What was the state of the country during that period?

Surprisingly stable. In fact the mid 80's saw a financial growth in the South and this led Mrs Thatcher to hold an election in 1987 which she got a massive majority for her 3rd election win. It was boom time in London with yuppies and the stock market starting to come to the fore.

Of course different circumstances in mining communities- as this is when the effects of loosing the miners strike in 1985 REALLY hit and there were massive pit closures. It was really a split UK on reflection but living in SW we were pretty much fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

looks like the weather is going to be lovely for my visit back home..arrive tomorrow... 20-22c on the cards for most of my stay and dry also 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst (as previously mentioned) I would like the weather to start turning into something more autumnal, I am interested in the rainfall and temperature stats once this month ends. With the exception of around the 14th, it has been a very dry month for many of us and has also been a warm one, not just in terms of daytime temps but night time temps also. I believe September is so far warmer than August this year. Doesn't happen very often.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Economic wise - on the up.. things moved forward rapidly through 1987.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I am jealous of everyone who has had sunshine in the last few days, only grey skies and periods of rain here for my 2 days off haha.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

I find the sun starts feeling noticeably weaker when the UV index dips below 5, which is about late August / early September.

Having said that though, the weather now is pretty identical to this time in August wrt skies and temperature, yet the sun is noticeably weaker. Pretty good going for this stage in September. 

Personally I'm not finding this weather at all. As I've said before, I'm very enthusiastic about sunshine. If we were suffering anticyclonic gloom, however, I'd probably be wishing in the more traditional Atlantic fare.

Agree with this. Although the sun did feel reasonably strong today with the very clear air and sky in the afternoon. If there is any haze though in September you can definitely feel the difference from an August hazy day.

• Like 1

Posted

For me, this September is very reminiscent of September 2014. That too was very benign and high pressure dominated; and just as is the case with this year, autumn that year felt as if it was taking forever to get started with no end of the extended summer in sight. Though I do remember that once October came round, it finally started to cool down back to normal for the time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
On 21/09/2021 at 00:22, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

For me, this September is very reminiscent of September 2014. That too was very benign and high pressure dominated; and just as is the case with this year, autumn that year felt as if it was taking forever to get started with no end of the extended summer in sight. Though I do remember that once October came round, it finally started to cool down back to normal for the time of year.

At times yes, but overall the warm theme continued. I remember quite a few engagements in relatively warm weather that month. That was the October that half term was warm and sunny, and Halloween reached 23 degrees.

The autumn was a weird one, like each month felt like the month before. September felt like August, October like September, November like October etc... At least for quite an Atlantic influenced winter, 14/15 was a sunny one with a lot of Pm conditions.@

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
9 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I remember this quite well as this was when the independence referendum happened here. There were loads of events going on in Glasgow, and it was notable how warm and sunny it was for much of the time, right though until the day of the vote (which IIRC) was cloudy here. I’m sure even the week afterwards was also pretty pleasant as well.

This year, in Glasgow at least, it feels quite similar.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 1