Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not a mild winter fan, but we probably need one, with the gas prices taking a hike. A cold winter will definitely cause major problems for poorer households.

Any extreme at the moment is not welcome, heat or cold, dry or wet. A summer like we just had was probably the ideal, no heatwave, no drought. The coming winter, no Artic weeks on end conditions and no flooding would be the same ideal. Mother nature needs to be kind to us for once.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m not a mild winter fan, but we probably need one, with the gas prices taking a hike. A cold winter will definitely cause major problems for poorer households.

You're probably right.  I'm definitely a cold weather lover but given the circumstances a bland, bang-average and uneventful winter would probably be best right now.

• Like 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, markyo said:

Any extreme at the moment is not welcome, heat or cold, dry or wet. A summer like we just had was probably the ideal, no heatwave, no drought. The coming winter, no Artic weeks on end conditions and no flooding would be the same ideal. Mother nature needs to be kind to us for once.

Let’s see what happens. I do like snow, but I’ll easily welcome a winter of 8-13c, to keep the heating bills down. So long as it stays mainly dry, with the occasional few days of rain in a month.

Posted

Turned out to be a nice day today. It was forecasted to be a washout and it’s been mostly sunny, not as warm as yesterday but mild.

Tomorrow’s forecast is sunny all day

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Well the way this sept will likely end up we won't have to worry too much about heating bills this winter. 

A warm / very warm September is not good news usually for those who like cold winters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Thankfully, the weather abides by the laws of physics. I am looking forward to some decent wind storms, and hopefully some hard frosts / snowy conditions. Although, the latter is always rare here.

• Like 7

Posted
47 minutes ago, sundog said:

Well the way this sept will likely end up we won't have to worry too much about heating bills this winter. 

A warm / very warm September is not good news usually for those who like cold winters.

The warm September theory needs to be to be taken with a pinch of salt.

A mild winter isn’t nailed on. 2009 and 2010 had fairly warm Septembers, and the winters that followed them were both cold.

Same goes for a cold May usually followed by a hot sunny summer. It didn’t happen this year, despite there being a north south split. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A mild winter isn’t nailed on. 2009 and 2010 had fairly warm Septembers, and the winters that followed them were both cold.

Same goes for a cold May usually followed by a hot sunny summer. It didn’t happen this year, despite there being a north south split. 

Well, I can remember a good few winters and nae many more than a handful of those were what I'd call 'particularly cold and snowy'. So, not much of a correlation (let alone a 'theory) when one views things t'other way round?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 19/09/2021 at 16:30, Sunny76 said:

Let’s see what happens. I do like snow, but I’ll easily welcome a winter of 8-13c, to keep the heating bills down. So long as it stays mainly dry, with the occasional few days of rain in a month.

Exactly this! I’d take mild IF it were also dry and fairly sunny. That’s more difficult than cold and snow between mid December and late January though. We’d need a lot of dry southerly winds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am going for a fairly unsettled October this year, since both August and September (so far) have been very benign (bar a few hot days earlier this month). For those of us who want autumnal weather, it's good to be reminded that Mother Nature seems to always balance things out eventually. And I guess it's still only September, so early days yet.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
38 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Before my time, but I believe 1978 had a dry and somewhat warm September and that was followed by a cold winter.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Before my time, but I believe 1978 had a dry and somewhat warm September and that was followed by a cold winter.

And wasn’t that the last time we had an energy crisis of sorts? The dustmen went on strike during that winter also. 

It does seem strange, but cold winters in this country tend to appear during a time when people are really struggling. 2008-12 era was the recession is a perfect example.

Its still a long way off, but my prediction is we will either get a cold one or a mild and dry one. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Not sure if anyone has seen the news but the volcano at La Palma has just erupted.Has anyone any thoughts if it may affect the weather in the British isles particularly if it got quite angry?

Posted
On 19/09/2021 at 18:16, Sunny76 said:

It does seem strange, but cold winters in this country tend to appear during a time when people are really struggling. 2008-12 era was the recession is a perfect example.

Last winter is a good example also. Here it was the snowiest since 2009/10 and coldest since 2012/13. Became quite cold during first half of Jan which saw the number of covid cases really spike. Lot's of suffering was prevalent

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Mmm we are near drought conditions in the Lake District. Rivers and reservoirs are very low.

Last winter I thought thankfully was very kind. Little storm activity, flooding did happen but was localised, nothing on a level with previous winter. Whilst it was cold at times it never became severe other than the odd day or two away from the Highlands. Our weather has a habit if balancing itself out.. extreme conditions be it cold or stormy/wet I feel have equal chances of verifying and high chances unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Mmm we are near drought conditions in the Lake District. Rivers and reservoirs are very low.

Last winter I thought thankfully was very kind. Little storm activity, flooding did happen but was localised, nothing on a level with previous winter. Whilst it was cold at times it never became severe other than the odd day or two away from the Highlands. Our weather has a habit if balancing itself out.. extreme conditions be it cold or stormy/wet I feel have equal chances of verifying and high chances unfortunately. 

Yes although this summer has been showery it hasnt been very wet in fact am struggling to remember the last time we had several days of rain and the river levels even half full.I fear we are in for a wet spell in the run up to xmas.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

And wasn’t that the last time we had an energy crisis of sorts? The dustmen went on strike during that winter also. 

Its still a long way off, but my prediction is we will either get a cold one or a mild and dry one. 

Certainly parallels there, political changes as well... 1978-79 winter of discontent.. new government in 1979. Generally the early to mid 80s were a time of economic woe, mass unemployment peak in winter 81-82, very cold..

Miners Strike -winter 84-85.

Then the boom years of the late 80s brought 3 very mild winters, followed by recession, just in time for the colder winter of 90-91.. more than a pattern.

A couple of colder winters 95-96, 96-97 followed by change in government...

As you say 08-09 came on the back of the banking fiasco and recession resumed. Oh another change of government after the coldest winter since 78-79.. more than a coincidence..

Even last winter was coldish.. in midst of pandemic.. Brexit as well.. will 21-22 be our next 09-10.. and bring change of government.. mmm unlikely given only 2 years into current term.. but you never know...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Indeed, I read prices for gas are rising by 70%?! Of course, the law of sod will mean the harshest winter for many years, no doubt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Whatever the weather, as we move further into Autumn I'll be glad when I no longer have to hear or read the phrase "warm sunshine" again, at least until next Spring.  I don't know why, but that phrase really annoys me.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Indeed, I read prices for gas are rising by 70%?! Of course, the law of sod will mean the harshest winter for many years, no doubt

Yep, the weather ain’t going to take gas prices into consideration! 

Edited by Don

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

4.8C     The first real autumn night with shallow fog

A rare night in single figures. They have been very few and far between going back to early June.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing Fog, Clear blue skies and sunny (cold/warm), snow
17 hours ago, markyo said:

Yes, frankly she is morally obliged to shower us with nothing but benevolence. It would be outrageous for her to do anything but. Especially after we've spent the past 200 years pumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, dumping plastic into the ocean rapidly deforresting every corner of the globe to provide cardboard packaging for boxes of coco-pops. 

Where's our medal? 

Edited by Atleastitwillbemild
  • Like 2

Posted

Just as I was hoping for some wind and rain, it looks like staying dry, settled and warm for the foreseeable. 

I do really dislike September and the nothingness it seems to bring. 

• Like 2