Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Ross90 said:

Was there not talk of doing away with going back/forward an hour and every country was expected to stick to one after this year, what happened to that?

It was an EU decision to bring that in rather than a UK one.

• Like 1

Posted

Extremely humid out there today after the heavy shower this morning. Currently 20.0C and 90% humidity.

If it does reach the predicted 25C later it will be pretty uncomfortable I imagine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

I couldn't agree more with this post. Winter would be much more bearable for me if January was sunnier. As you say, December has the novelty factor with the run up to Christmas, It just seems like such a slog after that though.

I love those cold crisp sunny winter days. ❤️ ☀️:cold-emoji:

Trouble is, quite frequently when we get high pressure during the winter months it leads to boring anticyclonic gloom conditions instead. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

If winter was cold, sunny & crisp, then it would be much more bearable; however, it's usually a grey, wet & windy gloomfest, made worse in January after all the decorations come down.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Ross90 said:

Was there not talk of doing away with going back/forward an hour and every country was expected to stick to one after this year, what happened to that?

There was talk in the EU of remaining on summertime all year but it’s not happening this year, not enough interest apparently 

How quickly things change, it’s the sort of day that only the UK experiences down here. Clear slot of satellite about 30miles away and never gets closer despite that being the direction the flow is coming from. Surface conditions rubbish, heavy drizzle and cloud blown in on a gusty south westerly. Rubbish. 

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Nothing we can do about the short day length in winter, the longer days in summer do compensate somewhat. I’ve sometimes wondered why the UK isn’t in the same time zone as Spain and France, seems a bit odd to be an hour behind those countries at a similar longitude. It is what it is, I did find it getting dark at 4pm in winter quite irritating though, especially when trying to get stuff done on the allotment and my SAD gets bad by January 

Its because Solar noon on Summer Solstice at Greenwich, i.e. sun at highest in the sky sets 12:00 noon for the entire planet to work off time, adjusting to Spain would be leaving out that crucial aspect not to mention latitude of Spain. Using that as (the sun) baseline it is not until 12:27pm (GMT) or 13:27 GMT +1 (BST) that the sun is at it's highest for instance in Dublin (Solar noon locally).  On that day 1 hour after GMT solar noon the sun will have travelled 15 degrees and with 24 hours in a day will be back at GMT 23 hours later. Learned this in Primary school, 360 degrees earth, divide by 24 hrs and you have 15 degrees longitude /hour. 

On the general day light topic. All places on earth average out at 50% daylight. Our problem up north is it's not equal across the year obviously. But one way to improve things is in Spring to change the clocks end of February or even start of that month, not end of March. That is approx. the same time after Winter Solstice as the time we change end of October. the Americans changed this 15 or so years ago, moved to start March and not end of March. Needs to happen across Europe as end of March is crazy late.

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, Downburst said:

On the general day light topic. All places on earth average out at 50% daylight. Our problem up north is it's not equal across the year obviously. But one way to improve things is in Spring to change the clocks end of February or even start of that month, not end of March. That is approx. the same time after Winter Solstice as the time we change end of October. the Americans changed this 15 or so years ago, moved to start March and not end of March. Needs to happen across Europe as end of March is crazy late.

Yes I've been saying this for years- it makes no sense waiting until the end of March to put the clocks forward.

The last weekend in February would be my choice and roughly equivalent to putting them back in late October.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

After a heavy downpour this morning its turned in to a bright warm afternoon, although to humidity is making it a little uncomfortable, 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Och well, another day of wall-to-wall sunshine and 26C goes under the radar. But, never fear, it'll be down to 25C by Saturday!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Managed to squeeze another 25c day in today, and it's been fairly bright and breezy. A bit soupy with humidity up at 65%, which is to be expected now low pressure has moved in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Well it's cooler than yesterday which is good, but it's still warm indoors and the humidity is still with us.  I haven't seen any sign of storms either despite the yellow warning.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Came out of site near Dudley today, 42c in room where i was, 18c with heavy rain greeted me......near to heaven as i will ever get!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Downburst said:

Agree with you there, clocks going forward in late February makes more sense than late March 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Cooler today (20°c), but it's certainly more humid than of late. If the temperature was higher, then this current humidity would feel pretty uncomfortable indeed.

In terms of thunderstorms; none over here, but we did have some drizzle this morning and now we are getting the occasional light shower.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Well, yesterday was the last hot and sunny day here, today has still been very warm but mostly cloudy, and the last two hours it has gone really dark, heard a couple of rumbles and saw a flash but that was it, no thunderstorm but peeing it down now.

Even though I don't like the heat, I always feel a bit depressed around this time of year because the warm sunny days are rapidly running out, by October that's pretty much it up here, I'd be lucky to get a 17C sunny day in October, so by end of September that's usually it for another six months as the next warm and sunny weather is not usually until late March at the earliest round here. Of course, there are exceptions like Halloween 2014, 1st November 2015 and February 2019, but they are quite rare.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
On 09/09/2021 at 19:41, East Lancs Rain said:

Well, yesterday was the last hot and sunny day here, today has still been very warm but mostly cloudy, and the last two hours it has gone really dark, heard a couple of rumbles and saw a flash but that was it, no thunderstorm but peeing it down now.

Even though I don't like the heat, I always feel a bit depressed around this time of year because the warm sunny days are rapidly running out, by October that's pretty much it up here, I'd be lucky to get a 17C sunny day in October, so by end of September that's usually it for another six months as the next warm and sunny weather is not usually until late March at the earliest round here. Of course, there are exceptions like Halloween 2014, 1st November 2015 and February 2019, but they are quite rare.

I could have wrote this post word for word

• Like 3

Posted

Most of the shower activity appeared around 3.30 ish in a 3 or 4 hour window. No thunder. Still felt rather humid. Feeling a bit it the doldrums now after the lovely sunny warmth of the last 3 or 4 days. Just got a feeling its gonna be about 30 odd weeks before I get to feel anything like that again. Thirty more Monday mornings. Going to work in the dark. Coming home in the dark. Cold. Wet. (A bit like the summer) Oh woe is me......Doomed I say. Doomed! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Most of the shower activity appeared around 3.30 ish in a 3 or 4 hour window. No thunder. Still felt rather humid. Feeling a bit it the doldrums now after the lovely sunny warmth of the last 3 or 4 days. Just got a feeling its gonna be about 30 odd weeks before I get to feel anything like that again. Thirty more Monday mornings. Going to work in the dark. Coming home in the dark. Cold. Wet. (A bit like the summer) Oh woe is me......Doomed I say. Doomed! 

Yes I'm not a fan of the September syndrome that sinks in the further the month wears on.. trying to hold onto to any sense of summer but the hands become slippier as each day passes until it escapes from the hand by the end of the month. Whilst October can deliver temps still into the 20s the fast fading light can never make it feel summery. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes I'm not a fan of the September syndrome that sinks in the further the month wears on.. trying to hold onto to any sense of summer but the hands become slippier as each day passes until it escapes from the hand by the end of the month. Whilst October can deliver temps still into the 20s the fast fading light can never make it feel summery. 

To be honest I'm ready for autumn now, even though despite being warm, summer was nothing to write home about!  I just hope we don't revert to full zonality in time for winter!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Had thunder and lightening here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone.

Well at the start of these autumn threads back in July time, I nearly always say that, “I would like to see a final burst of summer in September, but with misty/foggy evenings and mornings, just to remind everyone that it’s autumn”… So far September 2021 has certainly lived up to that! ☀️?

Plus we actually had a thundery breakdown… Which was more than we actually managed back in July with that last heatwave! (From an IMBY perspective obviously).

Last night whilst out walking the dog was beautifully foggy as a result of the storms.

This morning is beautifully misty as well. ??

2D84391C-81CB-481E-9B2E-3325E964ECC0.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

More typically September this morning. Dull and wet.