Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Another sunny and hot day today. I think this will be the last one for 2021 as mild weather returns tomorrow and onward.

I’m hoping that cloud stays to the southwest and doesn’t roll in until this evening at least??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

While the day time maxima drop off significantly after today, the nights look to remain warm unfortunately. Would prefer it to be the other way round!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Blue cloudless skies here this morning, bright warm sunshine for the 4th day in a row, shame it won't last!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

I'm loving the lowering of the sun in the sky, day by day. We're lucky to live in a location that experiences such rapid changes in the seasons like that, in my opinion.

I don't consider that to be lucky- I'd prefer that lowering of the sun to happen later as it does in the US- it would be nice for us to still have the 5 or 6 UV levels until the end of September.

As someone who loves summer I always feel a bit short-changed in this country with the very early switch to autumn.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
15 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I don't consider that to be lucky- I'd prefer that lowering of the sun to happen later as it does in the US- it would be nice for us to still have the 5 or 6 UV levels until the end of September.

As someone who loves summer I always feel a bit short-changed in this country with the very early switch to autumn.

As someone who burns very easily, I disagree!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It's not really, we get a good chunk of very light evenings.

Take Las Vegas for example, even at the solstice it's still sunset at 8pm, and dark at the winter solstice at 4:30pm.

Even now the sunset there is earlier than here. Obviously they have the nice weather to go with it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Even I can appreciate the changing of the seasons - I just hope Autumn/Winter is seasonal!

There’s beauty in every season (but the beauty can be hard to find in a southern English winter). Hopefully plenty of seasonal cold, crisp sunny days to enjoy and not too much dreary, grey muck. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Nick L said:

I'm loving the lowering of the sun in the sky, day by day. We're lucky to live in a location that experiences such rapid changes in the seasons like that, in my opinion.

Ah the change in seasons,  cool, wet and cloudy with 15hrs daylight to cool wet and cloudy with 8hrs day light. 

We’ve made it to 25C again today, didn’t really expect that as the cloud is making very slow progress. However that said I’ve got about  20mins of summer left before the cloud rolls in and mid 20s are done with for another 7-8months. 

Posted
47 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Take Las Vegas for example, even at the solstice it's still sunset at 8pm, and dark at the winter solstice at 4:30pm.

Even now the sunset there is earlier than here. Obviously they have the nice weather to go with it!

I have no problem with the day length at the moment- it's fine now but there is a quicker deterioration at these high latitudes after the equinox.

The sun is quite low quite early here compared to many parts of the world though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
7 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I have no problem with the day length at the moment- it's fine now but there is a quicker deterioration at these high latitudes after the equinox.

Don't want to be that guy, but the shortening of the day length is at its most rapid now, a couple of weeks either side of the equinox at around 4 minutes per day.  As we get later into the year that starts to slow down again, but the days continue to get shorter all the way to the solstice, just at a progressively slower rate.

• Like 2

Posted

Another perfect one 28C and clear. Decent breeze today so doesn't feel too hot at all. Also interestingly skin has gone a bit red. It's very rare for this to happen to me in this country, sometimes it happens on the first sunny spell of the year after a poor spring, so this just goes to show how disgraceful the summer has been that I've built zero tolerance to sunburn through the summer.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Either side of each solstice the days don't change that much but it's very speedy month either side of the equinox. Same goes for the sun angle. 

Late August it starts to change but now it's really drawing in and that sun is loosing a couple of degrees each day but by Halloween it'll be slowing right down

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

And with regards to our part of the world I'd say it's perfect RE daylight.

Further north it's too extreme and further south the UV is too high and summer nights are darker. Also further south they still come out of work in the dark in winter 

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

While the day time maxima drop off significantly after today, the nights look to remain warm unfortunately. Would prefer it to be the other way round!

Yes!!! It's boilin'!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
48 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Further north it's too extreme and further south the UV is too high and summer nights are darker. Also further south they still come out of work in the dark in winter 

When I worked in California (about as far south as Murcia in Spain) it never felt like there was a low light level like it does here in November-January. Even with low cloud and rain in December it never went dark enough there to need the lamp on in the middle of the day like it does here if it's a rainy day in December.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

The first time i went to Australia i couldnt understand why everyone was packing up on the beach at 5 pm when it was hot and sunny but within an hour it was almost dark,it was really strange .Similarly My sisters Hubby when he first came from OZ to England he was left speechless it was still light after 10pm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that whilst western areas got close to record high minima last night, temperatures in that part of the world were surprisingly fresh, a low of 12c after reaching 30c and the temperature today has currently peaked at around 29c. With a stronger breeze today it actually feels very bearable.

Looking at the nearby stations, humidity is around 30%, so a fairly dry relatively speaking.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Simon M said:

Don't want to be that guy, but the shortening of the day length is at its most rapid now, a couple of weeks either side of the equinox at around 4 minutes per day.  As we get later into the year that starts to slow down again, but the days continue to get shorter all the way to the solstice, just at a progressively slower rate.

I was meaning more in comparison to places further south, where the reduction in day length is more gradual compared to the UK.

Posted
2 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Days are FAR too short here in the winter months. Hardly any usable light at all if you work full time.

At least in places like New York most people are travelling to work in some kind of daylight- the sunrise is considerably earlier in January there than it is in the UK.

It's really very depressing for many people to travel to and from work for weeks/months on end in total darkness 

• Like 1

Posted

New York's latest sunrise time in the entire winter is 7.20am. That's over an hour earlier than our latest time- it makes a massive difference and would mean people starting work at a standard time always travel to work in daylight.

They are at 40 degrees north. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Got myself slightly sunburnt yesterday afternoon. I normally wear SPF 50+ sunscreen, but after the poor August we have just had I got used to not wearing it and I wasn't expecting the sun's rays to still be so powerful. We may be in September, but the sun still feels relatively strong. Though obviously not as much as it does in June and July. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

ONI for JJA -0.4, on par with MJJ and the warmest since the same period last year. 

August AO came in at -0.2 which was actually beaten by -0.3 last year. 

August PDO at -0.9 actually came in the most positive since January and less negative than 2020. 

An underwhelming month for data then with nothing much of note, even the CET was only -0.7C below the 1991-2020 average and the coolest since 2017.