Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
On 07/09/2021 at 13:59, mb018538 said:

Tokyo is at 35N (same as Southern California, Crete, Iraq, Morocco)....it's a lot, lot closer to the equator than the UK.

Wouldn't want their summers though, averages into the low 30s with very high humidity (75%). East Asian Monsoon (Meiyu Front) also can lead to soaking and flooding rains.

I hadn't looked at Tokyo's climate before and the summers look utterly depressing:

124, 151 and 174hrs mean sunshine in June, July and August. January is actually the sunniest month of the year averaging 192 hours!

Not to mention 1600mm of rain per year and mean mins of 18, 22 and 23C during summer with mean maxes of 26C, 30C and 31C. Looks pretty horrid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 07/09/2021 at 14:02, Wimbledon88 said:

Only two types of weather folk on this site are interested in. Heat in summer and snow in winter. 

You couldn't be more wrong.

• Like 8

Posted
23 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I'm surprised to see so many people enjoying the summery weather. I would have expected more people to be wanting autumnal weather now we are officially in metrological autumn (though imo autumn doesn't begin until Sep 21st). But seems most people are still in summer mode. This forum has changed.

Doesn't help that most of us never had a summer except for maybe a combined 15 days out of 90 in early June and early July. Though personally I don't like in-between months of September and October with no man's land temperatures of 14C, so any year I would like summer to continue until November and then winter to start the very next day.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

30°c Cambridge
30°c Staverton Private
30°c Northolt

Three sites now showing 30c.....surely one of them has to get over 30c today?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Does anyone know the September record for Scotland? 26c forecast for tomorrow must be getting close... the warmest day of the year so far was only 27c.

Posted

I suppose this is a moan. But the last 12 months temperature. I am sure a lot might be able to guess this, but check out where the cold blob is, the La Nina is clearly seen(although perhaps this is the cause of this colder than average period here, I don't know)

A the rain over last 12 months

image.thumb.png.1a1e5864211e0614d61e8e779d94ac2a.pngimage.thumb.png.e206a6a422793b1dcfe9a9f49350165f.png

Posted
14 hours ago, The real Lomond snowstorm said:

It's certainly too hot to actually do stuff outside as opposed to sitting around in it.

If I'm doing any gardening or going out for anymore exercise than a gentle stroll I much prefer it to be below 20C. 

I have done some strenuous hill stuff abroad in my time, in temperatures ranging from -25C to 35C and my preference is definitely for the cooler end of the spectrum.

We’ve not had many days this summer like this. 

I’m glad we actually have some nice warm sunny weather for a change, after what was possibly one of the worst summers, and Augusts in years.

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I'm surprised to see so many people enjoying the summery weather. I would have expected more people to be wanting autumnal weather now we are officially in metrological autumn (though imo autumn doesn't begin until Sep 21st). But seems most people are still in summer mode. This forum has changed.

Eh? Since when have most people not welcomed hot weather in the first half of September? There is no chance of really cold weather this early in the season anyway. It's worth remembering that September is warmer than June for the most part.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Eh? Since when have most people not welcomed hot weather in the first half of September? There is no chance of really cold weather this early in the season anyway. It's worth remembering that September is warmer than June for the most part.

Exactly I don't imagine 15C and light drizzle is a popular weather choice. Colder than average weather is wasted in October and September.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Quite! Although I don’t expect weather like this in September, you bet I’m lapping it up while it lasts.

Just shy of 30 degrees here which is pretty notable! Already the highest September temperature I’ve ever recorded.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
1 hour ago, Paul said:

The September record for Scotland is 32.2c. 

uk_climate_extremes.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

UK climate extremes

1906 can't say I remember it. 

Some of those are higher than I expected, 21c in November would be pretty unusual anywhere in the UK. Interesting that most of the summer and autumn records are from many years ago while a lot of the winter and spring records are more recent.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Working in IIford London today, certainly hot, hotter than being comfortable by some degree but not as oppressive as in July, strength of the sunshine is the main factor. Don't get me wrong still bloody horrible for working in but at least this will soon revert to seasonalish weather by Thursday thankfully. Autumn will be here, welcomed with open arms!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
47 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Whilst I don't mind this current spell, I have often wondered why people automatically assume that just because you aren't a fan of the heat then you aren't a fan of the sun either. It doesn't have to be hot for it to be sunny.

Very true. 23-26°C and sunny for a  decent chunk of the summer would be perfect 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It's definitely a preference and anything hot and humid isn't one of mine. Mostly for health reasons that may also force me avoid the icy cold weather more too now

As uncomfortable as it may be, the summer heat does give us the lovely edible things like these enormous figs from the tree in my back garden. That in itself is one of the nice things of Summer.

• Like 9

Posted
9 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

You must be a lizard or something! 25 degrees to hot to do anything outside is the most ridiculous statement i have ever heard,how would you cope on the continent?You would be better moving to Harris,Unst or Iceland where you can wear your string vest and shorts all year round!

Actually the hotter temperatures have been abroad in various Alpine countries, Eastern Turkey,  Corsica etc.

Carrying 25kg on a 12hr day in 32C temperatures in Corsica meant drinking 14 litres of water in a day and still unable to go to the bathroom at the end of the day. That was an extreme case and not typical but even relatively gentle walking uphill , particularly on rougher ground, is pretty hard in mid twenties even with a day pack.

I once suffered mild heat stroke in Scotland in temperatures around the mid twenties when back packing at a time I was fairly fit (unlike now).

Similarly it is too hot to run comfortably in such temperatures.

You only need to look at the various long distance runs that take place around the UK and they take special precautions if it is above 20C and early teens is the preferred temperature, preferably with a breeze.

If you're pottering around and stopping every 2 minutes or your idea of doing stuff is to walk a hundred yards across a car park then 25C is not too bad though I wouldn't choose to sit out in the sun at that temperature.

When you do any sort of physical exercise you generate up to 8 times your static heat output (depending on how hard you're working of course.)

It is easy to run or climb or do hard physical work in a t-shirt in sub zero temperatures as long as you layer up when you stop.

• Like 4

Posted

We've moved in to meteorological Autumn and the bickering still continues .. just give it a rest!

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

He didnt say it was a preferance,he said it was 't was 'too hot'.Sure if you are doing hard manual work outside many would prefer 18 to 22 deg and sunny against 25 +deg although it doesnt bother me.The point is how can you moan about a handful of days even if you dont like heat when we have only had  2 hot weeks out of the entire summer.I also think in this country many dont like the heat simply because we are not used to it .

You may only have had 2 hot weeks this summer but I've just had the warmest summer since records began about one hundred and forty years ago. Granted, we haven't had many days with the weather into the late twenties like 1976 or 1995 but the temperatures have consistently been around early twenties which is several degrees above the average, with plenty of sunshine and very low rainfall. Which in my book has made it a far better summer simply because the temperatures have not been too hot.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Very true. 23-26°C and sunny for a  decent chunk of the summer would be perfect 

Agreed!!! It seems to go from oe extreme to anotehr!

• Like 1

Posted
On 07/09/2021 at 18:21, Seasonal Trim said:

I really don't understand why some take offence to others having different weather preferences to themselves. It's really odd!

The problem is, there's a ring leader on both sides that posts in such a way that it will bait the opposing side in to replying, and then the bickering starts again. They're not interested in posting anything worth reading, because its the same repetitive lines.

Year after year, it's the same members involved, and quite frankly, its pathetic.

• Like 8

Well as good as the weather is today so proper payback in store for the later part of the weekend and early next week, not overly wet but more muck from the north east and temps struggling to get past 13/14C at times….