Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
23 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Another factor as happened last year is the effect of the restrictions. In a 'normal year', people are able to make the most of any good weather from about April onwards, we had to wait until the school holidays before full advantage could be made - what I mean is in terms of travel, outdoor events etc.. obviously people could still sit outside or go for a walk etc.. but it has had a mental impact.. and our perceptions of the summer as a whole going once again very fast.

Yes I agree. We weren’t able to enjoy the eateries and pubs during April, and even then, it was too cold at times to sit outside and enjoy it. However, I did manage one Saturday in May where It was warm or maybe last April and sat outside a pub. However that was only for my lunch hour, and it may not have been the same experience had I been sitting there for several hours.

The lack of sunshine has been a massive factor, and most people in the south can’t really argue with the fact it’s been very poor for picnic and bbq weather. Yes, we’ve had dry periods, but many weekends have been either rainy or very dull and dreary. 

I just put it down to bad luck this year, as 2020 wasn’t much better, but at least we managed a months worth of warm or hot days between june and august last year, and that was on the back of a 6-8 week run of mostly clear blue sky days. So, I guess we had to pay for it at some point.

I will stick my neck out and predict a widespread snowy Christmas, or very cold sunny spell, similar to last year, but even colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Daytime temps are gradulally starting to drop now. Late teens are becoming more common, though we all know how erratic September can be. So 25+ Celsius temps are still very much achieveable.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
15 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Daytime temps are gradulally starting to drop now. Late teens are becoming more common, though we all know how erratic September can be. So 25+ Celsius temps are still very much achieveable.

Yes September very much an extension of summer especially up to the equinox. Similar in March with winter lingering on through most of the month.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Feels like Autumn today, 15°C and cloudy. A disappointing end to the summer.

Posted
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Feels like Autumn today, 15°C and cloudy. A disappointing end to the summer.

Welcome to my world. It’s been like that down in London for most of the summer. Just relentless cloudy days, the odd warm sunny day, but mostly humid or cool under the cloud. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Welcome to my world. It’s been like that down in London for most of the summer. Just relentless cloudy days, the odd warm sunny day, but mostly humid or cool under the cloud. 

I’m sure most of the days will have been warmer than 15°C though. 18°C and up is summer for me. 10-15°C is autumn. Below 10°C is winter. I saw Daniel posting that he’s had 75 days (or thereabouts) this summer where temperatures have reached 20°C, while below average for that part of the world that’s still not bad going.

I agree it’s been a poor summer in the south in terms of excessive rainfall and cloudiness though. Northern England (and especially Scotland) have done better, not necessarily in terms of temperatures but in terms of abundant sunshine and dryness.

15.7°C was the max here today, with very limited sunshine. My 2nd coolest day of the month.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
13 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m sure most of the days will have been warmer than 15°C though. 18°C and up is summer for me. 10-15°C is autumn. Below 10°C is winter. I saw Daniel posting that he’s had 75 days (or thereabouts) this summer where temperatures have reached 20°C, while below average for that part of the world that’s still not bad going.

I agree it’s been a poor summer in the south in terms of excessive rainfall and cloudiness though. Northern England (and especially Scotland) have done better, not necessarily in terms of temperatures but in terms of abundant sunshine and dryness.

15.7°C was the max here today, with very limited sunshine. My 2nd coolest day of the month.

We’ve had too many days below 24c, which is the benchmark for what I class as decent summer temps. 21-23c is ok, but you need the clear sunny skies to make it feel nice and warm, otherwise it’s either cool or muggy.

The cloud has been a massive factor. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Lit the log burner tonight, autumn is upon us now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 29/08/2021 at 21:56, Sunny76 said:

Ahhhh nice and warm.

It certainly is, dog well happy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

With the unsettled, dull and at times damp summer (in the south) I'm going for a long settled spell at some point in the autumn, as there does seem to be a correlation between poor summers and relatively settled autumns.

Models are suggesting first half of September might be a bit iffy - basically a return to the familiar, from early this month, westerly grot after the northeasterly grot - but how about a settled, warm, and sunnier-than-average October? We've had a couple of poor Octobers on the trot, so gut feeling is for a better one this year. And - long shot - absolute October max higher than either Aug or Sep in the SE - with a brief couple of days reaching 26C or so in anticyclonic tropical continental conditions early in the month.

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

With the unsettled, dull and at times damp summer (in the south) I'm going for a long settled spell at some point in the autumn, as there does seem to be a correlation between poor summers and relatively settled autumns.

Models are suggesting first half of September might be a bit iffy - basically a return to the familiar, from early this month, westerly grot after the northeasterly grot - but how about a settled, warm, and sunnier-than-average October? We've had a couple of poor Octobers on the trot, so gut feeling is for a better one this year. And - long shot - absolute October max higher than either Aug or Sep in the SE - with a brief couple of days reaching 26C or so in anticyclonic tropical continental conditions early in the month.

Yes it’s been a while since we’ve had a really warm October, I think the last one was 2014 or maybe 2011.

Autumnal again today, 14°C and thick cloud, I hope the pattern changes soon, fed up of this now.

• Like 3

Posted
On 29/08/2021 at 21:37, Sunny76 said:

We’ve had too many days below 24c, which is the benchmark for what I class as decent summer temps. 21-23c is ok, but you need the clear sunny skies to make it feel nice and warm, otherwise it’s either cool or muggy.

The cloud has been a massive factor. 

I guess that’s where you and me differ. It’s been in the high teens and low 20s most days here this summer, so it’s been warm enough for me to wear shorts and a T-shirt most days, even if it’s cloudy. 21°C is perfect for me whether it’s cloudy or sunny. Anything above 23°C I class as hot, thankfully there have been very few days above 23° this summer.

If I lived in London I would probably enjoy the summer that you have had, but if I experienced a normal London summer with a good proportion of days in the 25 to 30° bracket, with a few days going above 30° I probably wouldn’t enjoy it as much.

And I can comfortably wear shorts and a t-shirt in temps of 16°C if the sun is out as it still feels warm in the sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

For the first time since late May, the temp in my bedroom yesterday dropped below 20°C. Autumn here we come! 

Posted

To be honest, I can't see this September being much better than the August we just had. We always do get a warm settled period at some point during Sept, but overall I have a feeling it's going to end up as being a fairly mediocre month this year. Similar to Sept 2015.

Other than that, I am looking forward to the cold crisp sunny mornings, beautiful autumn colours, warm sunny days accompanied by cold foggy nights and so on. ?️

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

For the first time since late May, the temp in my bedroom yesterday dropped below 20°C. Autumn here we come! 

Just about clinging on here at 20.3C in my bedroom. But if it gets any cooler that will soon change.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Sounds like the perfect October, warm, sunny days and cool, misty, foggy nights. Gives a nice opportunity to enjoy the trees changing colour without the leaves being ripped off too early by storms. They can wait until November, imo ??  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

have a feeling it could be a short autumn here nature wise..trees are already flush with yellows and oranges and its not September until tomorrow..grass has stop growing already..everything is dying back rapdily...dawn morning chorus disappeared over a month ago now....geese are already back which is very early normally don't see them for another 3 weeks..feels like we are already 2-3 weeks into Autumn already here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
9 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

have a feeling it could be a short autumn here nature wise..trees are already flush with yellows and oranges and its not September until tomorrow..grass has stop growing already..everything is dying back rapdily...dawn morning chorus disappeared over a month ago now....geese are already back which is very early normally don't see them for another 3 weeks..feels like we are already 2-3 weeks into Autumn already here

Just looking at recent temps in Edmonton, it looks like it's been in the 20s. How come it's turned more autumnal there than here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

OMG  did someone sacrificed themselves on the forums to allow us here to have a couple of hours of sunshine 

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Just looking at recent temps in Edmonton, it looks like it's been in the 20s. How come it's turned more autumnal there than here?

because winters are very cold and long here..autumn is very short..warm days rapidly decline through September and the first snows usually arrive around mid October..therefore seasons change rapidly ..not like the slow transition back home

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I guess that’s where you and me differ. It’s been in the high teens and low 20s most days here this summer, so it’s been warm enough for me to wear shorts and a T-shirt most days, even if it’s cloudy. 21°C is perfect for me whether it’s cloudy or sunny. Anything above 23°C I class as hot, thankfully there have been very few days above 23° this summer.

If I lived in London I would probably enjoy the summer that you have had, but if I experienced a normal London summer with a good proportion of days in the 25 to 30° bracket, with a few days going above 30° I probably wouldn’t enjoy it as much.

And I can comfortably wear shorts and a t-shirt in temps of 16°C if the sun is out as it still feels warm in the sun.

16-20c is way too cold for me to wear t shirt and shorts. T shirt might be ok for 21c if it's not cloudy, but shorts go back in the cupboard once temps dropped below 22c.