Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

First frost here is usually December, if we get one.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Rather weak signal right now for me.

74, 08, 55, 71, 84, 99, 11, 17 are Q4 analogues to pencil.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
21 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I can assure you, I do not.

I'll cut to the chase. Coldest winter since 2013 and probably on a par with 09/10.    

You said last year,

And year before 

And year before.

Not trying to aggregate you, hope one year you're right lol 

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I'll cut to the chase. Coldest winter since 2013 and probably on a par with 09/10.    

You said last year,

And year before 

And year before.

Not trying to aggregate you, hope one year you're right lol 

Not sure you’ve got that right. Last year was expected to be cold based on the premise of a SSW that me and a couple of others, spotted very very early. The SSW happened and it was nothing but pure bad luck we didn’t go colder than we did. 

I don’t remember going for cold the years before, save for perhaps specific intervals around SSW events. One year I went mild, I remember it well because I got a load of abuse for doing so.

Certainly can’t recall going for a cold November at any point, it’s also the one month I generally don’t like to see being overly cold…

• Like 1

Posted

My predictions for Autumn 2021:

September: Mild start and quite wet with a few warm days around week 2. Possibly a repeat of September 2016 for a few days with a gradual breakdown. CET above average and EWP below 

October: A cool and dry scene prevalent. Sunny days and cold nights across the country with the first frosts emerging at week 3. Final days starts to turn much more unsettled. Lowest October CET since 2012, average precipitation. 

November: Wet and dull, hardly any sun. Middle of the month sees a switch to colder conditions with the first snowfall. Below average CET and EWP above average. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
21 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Rather weak signal right now for me.

74, 08, 55, 71, 84, 99, 11, 17 are Q4 analogues to pencil.

What are your thoughts on a loose 10/11 type analogue?

Posted

Is that earlier than normal.

Posted
11 hours ago, CreweCold said:

What are your thoughts on a loose 10/11 type analogue?

So high amplitude that I don’t think one could ever draw upon it much. We are further ahead in the solar cycle and that saw a very strong Niña though so I don’t agree with the comparison.

Posted

Hilariously we weren't allowed a spring moans thread until March 3rd (I was told off for making one just before this which was locked)

but we are allowed an Autumn thread in mid-July.

Excellent.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Hilariously we weren't allowed a spring moans thread until March 3rd (I was told off for making one just before this which was locked)

Excellent.

All the threads for the next season are created at roughly the same time every year. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

All the threads for the next season are created at roughly the same time every year. 

Maybe, just pointing out the Spring thread this year wasn't allowed until March *shrug*.

The spring 2020 thread was allowed on Feb 21st, so 7 days before spring.

This autumn thread is a full 43 days before autumn. 

CrAzY.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Maybe, just pointing out the Spring thread this year wasn't allowed until March *shrug*.

The spring 2020 thread was allowed on Feb 21st, so 7 days before spring.

This autumn thread is a full 43 days before autumn. 

CrAzY.

I would say that 21st Feb was pretty late for the start of the Spring thread. Anywhere from the 10th onwards is usually fine.

Of course you get the odd poster who think it's blasphemy to start the next seasons thread during said posters favourite season. But, mostly people are OK with the discussion.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

I would say that 21st Feb was pretty late for the start of the Spring thread. Anywhere from the 10th onwards is usually fine.

Of course you get the odd poster who think it's blasphemy to start the next seasons thread during said posters favourite season. But, mostly people are OK with the discussion.

I think posters should be allowed to discuss any season all year round - I do understand the need to keep things organised and free from clutter though.

Just an observation I made as I was shot down for posting a spring thread too early, not a dig at you for posting this thread:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
15 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t mind if the first weeI or so of September is still warm or even hot. It usually faded by the middle of the month.

Yeah I don't mind either, sun is a bit less intense by then and it goes dark at 7:30 pm so plenty of time for the house to cool down before bedtime. Not the case in June or July though, when the sun is still streaming through the bedroom window at 9 pm.

14 hours ago, davehsug said:

I think we're overdue a dry, warm autumn. After a good run, recent Septembers especially have been a bit disappointing.

Yeah, they've not been as good since 2016. 2017 was absolutely diabolical.

13 hours ago, Freeze said:

You say that every year

A stopped clock is always right twice!

13 hours ago, Freeze said:

First frost here is usually December, if we get one.

It's usually October when I get my first ground frost, and November for the first air frost. I remember in 2018 getting air frost (or pretty close to it) on a few mornings in October but then November was frost free!

13 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Not sure you’ve got that right. Last year was expected to be cold based on the premise of a SSW that me and a couple of others, spotted very very early. The SSW happened and it was nothing but pure bad luck we didn’t go colder than we did. 

I don’t remember going for cold the years before, save for perhaps specific intervals around SSW events. One year I went mild, I remember it well because I got a load of abuse for doing so.

Certainly can’t recall going for a cold November at any point, it’s also the one month I generally don’t like to see being overly cold…

I predicted winter 19/20 to be mild and wet, as all the models were forecasting that at the time, and it was, exceptionally so. Absolutely no need for abuse at all when discussing the weather, this forum goes a bit crazy in the winter.

1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Excellent.

Let me guess... By MaPantz... He's always telling people off lol. And he just banned me from the summer moans thread as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

So high amplitude that I don’t think one could ever draw upon it much. We are further ahead in the solar cycle and that saw a very strong Niña though so I don’t agree with the comparison.

here the weather patterns have been very close to 2011/12 since mid July 2020..2012 had a long summer that had an abrupt end and we went to straight into winter..autumn 2012 was very cold and snowy..the following winter 12/13 was fairly average though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

here the weather patterns have been very close to 2011/12 since mid July 2020..2012 had a long summer that had an abrupt end and we went to straight into winter..autumn 2012 was very cold and snowy..the following winter 12/13 was fairly average though

Strangely same here in Slovakia, the switch to warm weather in june almost exactly copied 2012 and maximas were very close to records from that year, also the relentless continuation of hot weather is exactly like 2012 with the relaxing of heat this week again timed almost exactly to 2012. I would sell my house for a winter 2012/13 repeat, although I lived in Ireland that winter its been snowiest in central Europe since probably 1995/96

Posted
19 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Is that earlier than normal.

Later, Combines rolled on July 12th last year, but the wet end to June has delayed things

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning O’fellow autumn lovers. ??
Well, despite the grimness of this current heatwave, this morning on my whilst out walking the dog, I noticed autumn popping it’s head over the metaphorical parapet! ?

The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is slowly but surely starting to get underway, as the creeping tendrils of mist once again start stalking the fields and lanes. ? ????

1C8CE223-A913-439B-990A-1C232724349C.jpeg

FB66515B-94B6-45D4-B59C-BEDAEEE8BC1B.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Yes, there are already early signs of autumn out there if you know where to look. I noticed blackberries in my local country park the other day, obviously no where near ripe yet but it's a sure sign that autumn is only just over a month away.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

image.thumb.png.a98f64f588983ae29e10d6eb74529f58.png

Solstice +1 month and time's marching on.......

Not that much difference but the shortening of the days will speed up as we get into August.

7 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning O’fellow autumn lovers. ??
Well, despite the grimness of this current heatwave, this morning on my whilst out walking the dog, I noticed autumn popping it’s head over the metaphorical parapet! ?

The season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is slowly but surely starting to get underway, as the creeping tendrils of mist once again start stalking the fields and lanes. ? ????

1C8CE223-A913-439B-990A-1C232724349C.jpeg

FB66515B-94B6-45D4-B59C-BEDAEEE8BC1B.jpeg

Amazing what you can see if you are up early enough! Excellent pics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looking quite autumnal during first half of August. Very welcome after such a hot July.

Cool and Unsettled August 2021 - Week 2.png

Cool and Unsettled August 2021 - Week 1.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Looking quite autumnal during first half of August. Very welcome after such a hot July.

Cool and Unsettled August 2021 - Week 2.png

Cool and Unsettled August 2021 - Week 1.png

It’s not been a hot month here. We’ve had a hot week, but the rest of the time it was just mild and cloudy. 

A dull autumnal first half of august, would put summer 2021 in the poor category for me. 

I hope there’s another hot spell during the second half of august, because by September, the sun starts to lose its power, and the chill of autumn and shift really starts to take effect.

• Like 1