Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
19 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Sort of sense your perspective on this time of year. I'm not a fan of the second half of summer, compared to second half spring and first half if summer, but if it is dry warm and sunny I'm happy, more so rest of July, come about second week August I want to fast forward to September sometimes if we are staring at wet humid south westerlies as we often are...

Come September the humidity drops and a 'grounding' takes over after the headiness of the summer holidays. 

Yes September is often a really pleasant month, cool nights, and plenty of pleasant, dry, sunny days in the mid to high teens.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Autumn is the best season in my opinion, plenty going on, beautiful colours on the trees, cooler evenings and mornings, blackberries, chestnuts!, Halloween!, bonfire night.  The list is endless.

One of my favourite poems by John Keats

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, 

Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun; 

Conspiring with him how to load and bless 

With fruit the vines that round the thatch-eves run; 

To bend with apples the moss'd cottage-trees, 

And fill all fruit with ripeness to the core; 

To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells 

With a sweet kernel; to set budding more, 

And still more, later flowers for the bees, 

Until they think warm days will never cease, 

For summer has o'er-brimm'd their clammy cells. 

Who hath not seen thee oft amid thy store? 

Sometimes whoever seeks abroad may find 

Thee sitting careless on a granary floor, 

Thy hair soft-lifted by the winnowing wind; 

Or on a half-reap'd furrow sound asleep, 

Drows'd with the fume of poppies, while thy hook 

Spares the next swath and all its twined flowers: 

And sometimes like a gleaner thou dost keep 

Steady thy laden head across a brook; 

Or by a cyder-press, with patient look, 

Thou watchest the last oozings hours by hours. 

Where are the songs of spring? Ay, Where are they? 

Think not of them, thou hast thy music too,— 

While barred clouds bloom the soft-dying day, 

And touch the stubble-plains with rosy hue; 

Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn 

Among the river sallows, borne aloft 

Or sinking as the light wind lives or dies; 

And full-grown lambs loud bleat from hilly bourn; 

Hedge-crickets sing; and now with treble soft 

The red-breast whistles from a garden-croft; 

And gathering swallows twitter in the skies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Talking of signs of autumn, ( @Turnedoutniceagain has put a good list up) I saw my first Lord’s ‘n’ Ladies of the season today, just nestled amongst the nettles and undergrowth. These are always a good harbinger of autumn.

Also today I noticed the (what seems like) the overnight replacement of elder flowers with elder berries! So if you fancy making some elderberry wine… Get your demijohns ready. ??

Also… Now I don’t know if this is only affecting my neck of the woods… But it looks like the annual spider invasion has started! ??

A54C56EA-49B9-4EE6-A7CA-117BDEB7F9EA.jpeg

BC1F1906-4E4D-4EEF-A4EF-562BC01510FE.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes September is often a really pleasant month, cool nights, and plenty of pleasant, dry, sunny days in the mid to high teens.

September probably overall our most pleasant and 'Clement' month. Conversely it can make for 'watching paint dry' model watching!

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Talking of signs of autumn, ( @Turnedoutniceagain has put a good list up) I saw my first Lord’s ‘n’ Ladies of the season today, just nestled amongst the nettles and undergrowth. These are always a good harbinger of autumn.

Also today I noticed the (what seems like) the overnight replacement of elder flowers with elder berries! So if you fancy making some elderberry wine… Get your demijohns ready. ??

Also… Now I don’t know if this is only affecting my neck of the woods… But it looks like the annual spider invasion has started! ??

A54C56EA-49B9-4EE6-A7CA-117BDEB7F9EA.jpeg

BC1F1906-4E4D-4EEF-A4EF-562BC01510FE.jpeg

Oh gosh! It can’t be spider season already surely! The bloody things freak me out! ??

By far the worst thing about autumn for me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
5 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

September is by far the best month of the year here in Alberta..its like the perfect UK Septmeber but on steriods...sunny warm days followed by cool/cold nights with the first heavy frosts and sometimes the first snow of the season..tree are awash with Colour that for me revival what is seen in New England..the unfortunate thing is  Autumn like spring  is very short.. you blink and its gone.

• Like 4

Posted
On 14/07/2021 at 08:46, davehsug said:

Indeed, can't wait to replace the endless days of 14c with cloud wind and rain, with endless days of 14c with cloud wind and rain.

I'm sorry, but unless you live up in the Shetland Islands, then I don't know where else in British Iles has had endless days of 14C with cloud, wind and rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
12 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I agree. I'm fine if it's not too warm like it has been this summer.

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I'm sorry, but unless you live up in the Shetland Islands, then I don't know where else in British Iles has had endless days of 14C with cloud, wind and rain.

It's called hyperbole. I would have expected someone who makes basically the same post 20 times a day to get that.

Posted

Another fine very warm day. Groan!  23C, sunny intervals. Looking at the forecast going to be 25C and sunny for the next week here now.  Hurry up autumn!

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Another fine very warm day. Groan!  23C, sunny intervals. Looking at the forecast going to be 25C and sunny for the next week here now.  Hurry up autumn!

Not overly fussed about the warm weather atm. Got the school holidays upon us, so it gives us more options with the kiddies.

Won't be able to tolerate overly warm weather into September though. Low 20s with cool/chilly nights are required by then 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
16 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Got the school holidays upon us, so it gives us more options with the kiddies.

is it just me? but this came out kind of wrong 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
15 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Oh gosh! It can’t be spider season already surely! The bloody things freak me out! ??

By far the worst thing about autumn for me.

Hello @East Lancs Rain
I'm afraid so... Well, certainly here in North East Wales the spider invasion has started! ?️?️
I was speaking to a couple of my work colleagues, and they've also commented on the annual spider invasion. ?️?️

Ahh well... Time to dig out the jam jar and the piece of paper... ?️

• Like 1

Posted

I know one place where it's autumn already... Lerwick! Permanent autumn/winter up there.

Lerwick Weather - July 2021.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I know one place where it's autumn already... Lerwick! Permanent autumn/winter up there.

Lerwick Weather - July 2021.png

Nice!

• Like 2

Posted
21 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

September is by far the best month of the year here in Alberta..its like the perfect UK Septmeber but on steriods...sunny warm days followed by cool/cold nights with the first heavy frosts and sometimes the first snow of the season..tree are awash with Colour that for me revival what is seen in New England..the unfortunate thing is  Autumn like spring  is very short.. you blink and its gone.

Couldn’t agree more - I’ve had more visitors in September than any other month. It’s a cracking month - and made even better because all the tourists leave and it’s very peaceful

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

My perfect autumn would be something like 1st half of September 2016, then 2nd half 2015 (warm days, cool nights), continuing into October in this manner.  Then a descent into something similar to  the rest of October 2000 (wet with several named storms).  A quiet early November.. with frost and fog, then ending on the same note as November 2010 (would like more snow in the south than that though ideally)..

So yes, that's how I hope autumn pans out this year

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 13/07/2021 at 09:00, AderynCoch said:

Is it? We're not even halfway through summer yet.

As much as I hate to break it to you, we are indeed halfway through summer if you go by the meterological calendar. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally don't mind talking about the upcoming autumn in the middle of July, same as I don't mind talking about the upcoming spring in the middle of January.

Anyway, here are my predictions for this year's season of mellowness.

September - An average at best month. With no sign of an Indian Summer it will be a fairly disappointing month for those who wish to hold on to summer. There will however be some pleasant sunny days with cool or cold nights, particularly later on in the month along with the first air frost of the season.

October - First week will be high pressure dominated bringing settled early autumn weather for all, accompanied by cool or cold nights and will be particularly foggy during this period. Rest of the month will be more unsettled and temps will be around average, with the first named storm arriving around the 20th.

November - The unsettled theme during October continues into November, albeit it does get colder from around the 10th. High pressure dominates around the middle of the month bringing those cold and sunny crisp autumn mornings which many of us love, along with the first ground frost of the season. The second half of the month will be wetter than average with temps being a little on the mild side.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm happy to enjoy the hot weather for now. However, come 1st September I'll purely be on the look out for the colours of Autumn. 

Anyone want to guess when we'll see the first frost? 

Posted

I think we're overdue a dry, warm autumn. After a good run, recent Septembers especially have been a bit disappointing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Early thoughts from me- November may well be the coldest since 2010. Not saying it'll be on that level but I think we'll see early winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
14 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Early thoughts from me- November may well be the coldest since 2010. Not saying it'll be on that level but I think we'll see early winter.

You say that every year

• Like 1