Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 11th July onwards

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, I only ever look at individual model runs with the Met Office's monthly forecast in mind -- they do, after all, know far more than I ever will. But, anyway, here are the GEFS 06Z temperature ensembles for Cambridgeshire:

t850Cambridgeshire.png    t2mCambridgeshire.png

You are joking I hope. I wouldn't trust the Met Office to get the date for Christmas right!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, masheeuk said:

You are joking I hope. I wouldn't trust the Met Office to get the date for Christmas right!

So, who would you suggest one puts one's faith in, then? 

Bill (goodness me, my hedgehogs are playing up!) Fogget, BFTP, Piers (holds his graphs upside-down) Corbyn or Big (brutal cold) Joe Bastardi?

Sometimes I do wonder!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

12z gfs another theme on the 6z and its a good theme. Some very subtle areas of high pressure delevoping esp from the Arctic threw svalbard. Nothing dramatic on the ground but keep the low heights going into Europe and no slug high and not a bad footing heading into the next month

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
On 26/10/2021 at 18:00, Ed Stone said:

Bill (goodness me, my hedgehogs are playing up!) Fogget, BFTP, Piers (holds his graphs upside-down) Corbyn or Big (brutal cold) Joe Bastardi?

Sometimes I do wonder!

You could always include me in there, I'm obviously the most reliable with what little reading into fluid dynamics I've done :drunk-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Sometimes I do wonder!

Do the met use seaweed ed. I think the output is on the change and its reflected in there forecast. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

You could always include me in there, I'm obviously the most reliable with what little reading into fluid dynamics I've done :drunk-emoji:

But do you understand hedgehog behaviour? You must get your priorities right, EE. And, don't forget to read up on your berries!:drunk-emoji:

Edited by Ed Stone
Found a marble!
  • Like 7

Posted
On 26/10/2021 at 18:09, Ed Stone said:

But do you understand hedgehog behaviour? You must get you priorities right, EE. And, don't forget to read up on your berries!

Don't forget the person who used asparagus 

• Like 4

Posted

Is that snow flakes falling south of the Scottish border before the great freeze of December the 25th engulfs the whole of Britian 

prectypeuktopo.thumb.png.6f7e3d4850fcd814edb6ae19702393c2.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 12z mean suggests a colder shot from the NW / N in very early November, polar / arctic maritime?…duration and potency are up ⬆️ in the air at the moment but at least there’s potential for something wintery in the not too distant future, for some of us!!!  

BD2BFEA7-9779-48DB-B329-51733A00B4DF.thumb.png.f981a0e633caac565281f219deb546f8.png1D6FD3CD-72D4-4D19-918F-BF42B7D46B3D.thumb.png.8bb4f526c1ad14f495fd42096118b752.png

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

In the more immediate, getting on for 200mm of rain in Cumbria over the next 2 days, and this is the UKMO, for once outdoing the ECM by a slither (splash).

UKMO / ECM accumulated total precipitation 

8BC514F2-DD37-4FC1-9157-0CB6C021B201.thumb.png.d6f3e981311a9f89b5ce315aed29c06a.png B71CD1C5-8D12-446B-A78C-D3E286C7891C.thumb.png.a415ddac7ec077d231d8504d3a4fae8f.png

This includes over 150mm over the highest ground in just 24 hours through to the end of tomorrow according to the ECM, but there’s in excess of 100mm over quite a wide area. That could get a bit serious.

1204E3D3-E047-417E-A0CC-34EE35AF26C5.thumb.png.7f06fb50392cf9009a900a1e7b54ca3c.png

• Like 7

Posted

Evening all

I can imagine the end to the GFS 12Z OP will have got quite a few salivating - the classic stand off between the Scandinavian HP and the undercutting Atlantic trough - happy days.

In the shorter term, it does look as though as the trough finally digs south to the east, we'll lose the balmy (or barmy) SW'lies and revert to a much cooler NW'ly flow for a few days.

T+192 for the 12Z suite from GFS Control, OP, GEM and ECM

image.thumb.png.52f45631c7d9b4efb5a3ba210e19367d.pngimage.thumb.png.b3ff59c703b1b3aa27cd7d048a0f6b43.pngimage.thumb.png.4751de5c7055e8315e942cdde4be7c34.pngimage.thumb.png.914c9474a2fe2ba26cfa3d75abb885de.png

The interplay between the Atlantic HP and the sub-tropical LP looks key to how this will play out. GEM creates a significant LP to the west of the Azores which means more of an Atlantic ridge and a more defined N'ly. Others keep the trough much closer in the North Sea - either way, it's much cooler and more unsettled than what we are currently enjoying.

ECM ends with a lovely chilly November NE'ly - yes, I'm not convinced either.

• Like 7

Posted

And here they are, with much ado: the GEFS 12Z temperature ensembles for Cheshire! And, aren't they exciting? No? Och well. Beggars can't be choosers?:drunk-emoji:

t850Cheshire.png    t2mCheshire.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
20 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

ec about to introduce a cold anti cyclone  at day 10..

image.thumb.png.ec4b5621261d071e7bd7d33b68916031.png

Yer the day 10 chart is good . That would be setting up a cold bonfire weekend. Be nice to have a crisp bonfire night for once . Plenty of cold air to the north and north east as well  

7D795285-07AF-4064-8FFB-1E9DC1611923.png

DE1C5258-B641-4521-8638-A1F18F42CCC3.png

283DD530-67CE-419A-A057-6E54E133EBF8.png

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Have to say the models are honing in on the La Nina HP position but with the   LP s moving SSE over the UK to bring in  relatively cold conditions.  Quite early interest showing.  Last year wasn’t a typical La Nina pattern, will this winter be?

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted

Looking good in the near future hopefully this can block out the high for long enough until the undercut can happen which it looks like it will

image.thumb.png.d9d170997b4fbca6a22e3a8370fb69bb.pngimage.thumb.png.effad8bb9034e294cb0e7f9def526e01.png

image.thumb.png.4a02b8f53ce5d1a1877dd421390faf7a.pngimage.thumb.png.729572bead8ffab078b2a364e5eb4b87.png

image.thumb.png.a1d514f3d862d870aa75bd47de97f6f3.png

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 5