Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 11th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I wouldn't like to be living on the East Coast this week at least here in Cumbria the sun comes out every now and then. Surely its unusual to have such cloudy conditions in a strong powerful summer anticyclone at least away from the east coast.

I am racking my brain thinking of a similar set up in the past?

Feel for those in SE England as this spell of winterlike anticyclonic gloom has finished off a dreadful summer, at least up north the summer was much better then average.

Andy

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
55 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

I think we all need to learn the lesson here. OK some of us expected some cloud, but not as much as this. My earliest memory that i can date in April 1974, that was around 4 weeks of this grey muck. We should all learn the lesson that high to our near Northwest feeding us a Northeasterly off that blessed sea will always have the potential to be a dirty high thatll plague not only the most prone eastern counties, but most of the Country.

Yes, I agree with this. I think some posters in the midlands and north of England have got this period of weather spot on, whereas the likes of me down in Oxfordshire have not.  I’ve been quite surprised at the amount of cloud cover here, and the relentlessness of it, it may be due to the exact position of the high, but usually at this time of year, it is rare to get relentless anticyclonic gloom here.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, I agree with this. I think some posters in the midlands and north of England have got this period of weather spot on, whereas the likes of me down in Oxfordshire have not.  I’ve been quite surprised at the amount of cloud cover here, and the relentlessness of it, it may be due to the exact position of the high, but usually at this time of year, it is rare to get relentless anticyclonic gloom here.

The thing for me, is the way it failed to burn off. Normally many central areas brighten up in the afternoons. So this has been a lot worse than what i expected in its persistance and the way it thickens up making it really dull.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

The thing for me, is the way it failed to burn off. Normally many central areas brighten up in the afternoons. So this has been a lot worse than what i expected in its persistance and the way it thickens up making it really dull.

It has not been, on most days low ST but a sheet of Sc and at times Cu in the few brighter spells. So a different cloud set up to the usual N Sea low ST/mist/fog.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Agreed, it did burn off a bit here at the start of the settled spell here, but lately not at all.  I can only think it was coming on the back of a really prolonged cool spell, and with the sun now 2 months beyond the solstice, doesn’t have enough in it.  Weird.  

Anyway, to the 12z suite, and the question still remains will the incoming low be deep enough to prevent ridging back over the top?  

So far, UKMO says probably yes, ICON says probably no at T144:

1554457A-936C-4DAD-AE65-A28C7B8FC034.thumb.gif.339ffef00d3f7ed54abc1d2fdaf9e02a.gifEBE6501D-F774-4CC2-AAD9-BAC39E15EA1A.thumb.png.e898f8e0126a31183072be80ffc7b8a2.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

First of all, congratulations to Tyndrum in Scotland ??????? for recording the highest august temperature for the first time since 1931…27.2c 81f…I cannae believe it, time for a wee dram  86F538D5-7A65-487F-BEF5-C945E401A345.thumb.png.fe68d103d9614e86aa282f25a178a1d6.png

And…looking at the GEFS mean so far today, I think when it does become more unsettled / Atlantic influenced, it could be something of a N / S split with the south / southeast perhaps not doing too badly compared to northern / northwestern areas of the u k? 

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

It has not been, on most days low ST but a sheet of Sc and at times Cu in the few brighter spells. So a different cloud set up to the usual N Sea low ST/mist/fog.

but is that not due to time of year? a lot worse than March to May mist/fog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Another GFS 12Z shocker for the bin! all change on 00Z, low centered over us, rain and 10 degrees less

image.thumb.png.2dad27434d28227dab99e1d033115963.png

• Like 1

Posted

Anyway, GEM sees a warmer pattern develop after the low, shallower on this run than UKMO, and could lead to some pleasant then interesting weather:

animwsc0.gif

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Another GFS 12Z shocker for the bin! all change on 00Z, low centered over us, rain and 10 degrees less

image.thumb.png.2dad27434d28227dab99e1d033115963.png

The GFS 12Z is a ridiculous run that goes from one extreme to the other, extremely warm in just 144hrs to maxes of just 12/13C the following weekend under some horrific Synoptics. GEM extremely unsettled at the same time as the GFS burst of warmth with ICON somewhere in between. As usual given the hugely varying Synoptics I’ll go with my logic of in times of doubt back the unsettled pattern (it nearly always wins out) 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Alderc said:

The GFS 12Z is a ridiculous run that goes from one extreme to the other, extremely warm in just 144hrs to maxes of just 12/13C the following weekend under some horrific Synoptics. GEM extremely unsettled at the same time as the GFS burst of warmth with ICON somewhere in between. As usual given the hugely varying Synoptics I’ll go with my logic of in times of doubt back the unsettled pattern (it nearly always wins out) 

I thought you might   Think it all depends on whether the ridge goes over the top of the low T144ish and stops it becoming a procession of lows.  I think it will, but UKMO run was poor tonight from that perspective.  GEM and GFS and ICON better, but different in their own ways, so plenty of uncertainty.  

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

......... which makes it all the more rather strange, and probably why it caught so many of us out. tbh i dont understand how this happened (i understand how low stratus rolls in ) , pressure has been high, and without the sun warming and creating convection, im dont understand how Cu and Sc formed under high pressure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Of course we are in hurricane season now which can throw big spanners into the works especially if they unexpectedly meander northwards and jump on the jetstream.

September 2014 comes to mind after a ropey August, where an ex-tropucal system went north of us and pulled up warm air setting a pattern well into the Autumn. This is the time of year I look towards the Mid-atlantic, although I personally never wish for big storms to form and hit land. It would be extremely ignorant and selfish to wish that for 'a bit of early Autumn warmth!

Posted

Where on earth has that gfs and ecm come from!!im surprised no one else commenting on this!!its a HUUUUGE change from this mornings runs!!!have they picked up a new signal?!!madness!

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Massive changes on gfs and ecm at a short time frame this evening!!heatwave alert?!!!!

Yes, the low that the UKMO made so much of, is weaker and further out west, and just becomes a heat pump for the UK.  The gloom spell is over, but what comes next is very uncertain!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For sure there’s some warmth on the ECM 12z operational…for sure! 

EE72EC91-43D9-4E0B-AC3D-08DCA86FF67E.thumb.png.3428293a93202876ee10f58b06dbd1a5.pngA80C9E2F-DE93-440F-9C8D-167DCCA9BE35.thumb.png.9634dc73e9763bd673e9af7f11e231af.png3CBD3F5A-E95B-428D-8775-E04A8DDADE56.thumb.png.84d7800f61b880954195c317e496ec04.pngAAE5AB73-0A09-4BF5-90E2-9273A4967622.thumb.png.828019cc964fdab09dad911e9cad40dd.png9D06D882-0683-4AF1-825F-91EB9569DBF8.thumb.png.d2ad39dad112e07280bb0a2d3789a7ab.png80CDFFDD-9868-45BD-A3FA-7984F0848F37.thumb.png.40112abb2a8ed7bba5c1853d0bfc1688.png9B471077-C034-496F-AB77-40476DE214F2.thumb.png.31c66f8b56a6b606f1665547044dd9ea.png

D7B325BD-62B1-4CFA-A410-8B641FF91F91.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Come on Matt .. awaiting your "it aint over til the fat lady sings" quote ... ECM 12z Op is a stunner from all aspects,  Phil Avery on the Beeb weekly update was hinting at something along the lines of ECM 12z Op 2-3 hrs ago ,  got to love PA .. one of the best.

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, StingJet said:

Phil Avery on the Beeb weekly update was hinting at something along the lines of ECM 12z Op 2-3 hrs ago ,  got to love PA .. one of the best.

If he said a plume..could be ours…he could be right!…judging by the Gfs 12z op and ECM 12z.. 

• Like 5