Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted

Could I really get 4 thunderstorms this weekend alone?

After that sudden cell development yesterday evening just for me in Scunthorpe could it get even better today

It sure did

Storm 1 today did a similar thing to the one yesterday evening when it blew up just near us again to give us a storm, although not as big as yesterday evening's one

Storm 2 was probably the most drab of them all with just 2 rumbles of thunder and that was my lot but I have been spoilt already with 3 storms so far over the weekend

However storm 4 of the weekend looks like it could be the biggest of the lot

Untitled2.thumb.png.3b14dc715f32e2649ad3b9c4c3f0191a.png

This great mass of storms is heading north right now and isn't that far from me now and is still producing lightning flashes on the lightning detector

Untitled.thumb.png.efe316ab6717fc236d88dd6bac326842.png

I know a very unfair distribution of storms but if you are in Lincolnshire right now or areas due north of there like me in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire it looks like game on soon and just as I finish typing this I can now hear the first distant rumbles of thunder from that nice line of showers and see the dark skies to my south now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Had an isolated loud clap of thunder about 10 minutes ago. It came as I was turning cars around for tomorrow's commute.

Lightning maps didn't record it.

• Like 1

Posted

Paying particular attention to this circled area that has developed within the main shower band. Is this one of those lucky blow up cells that appears just before it reaches me again, I hope so

Untitled.thumb.png.7bf333b61c9b20500adc399cc5fa9801.png

Posted

Not familiar with blow up cells.... dolls.....thats something I am aware of.lol

• Like 2

Posted

Got to feel for those thunderstorm fans who are not in the Lincolnshire area right now. We seem to be the only area in the UK with any storms right now

Just about to hit here right now

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

So remember when I said that was it for Nottingham today 

One rumble and absolutely biblical rain

Posted

Looks like cooling temperatures is coming into play, was suggested that storms will occur later tonight for Yorkshire, guessing it'll be this lot

image.png

Posted

Torrential rain in Warminster but it isn’t remotely thundery. Not one single sferic ever since it began forming in Dorset/Somerset 5 hours ago.

14 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Is anyone near this development in the south. Looks like it has potential to throw up a nice thundery surprise for some

Untitled.thumb.png.db147bbbdf96992ab21750e06bd15f49.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Pass to my west

OLLOF3e.jpgs5KHRFk.jpg

Wow fantastic cloudscape for that storm WH. Could be in the planes of the USA...

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Wow fantastic cloudscape for that storm WH. Could be in the planes of the USA...

The video that appears when you click next is quite funny to. That poodle is having non of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
17 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Caught it on my timelapse for today at 3.10

Something interesting happens in the clouds at 1.37

Your timelapse videos are amazing WH. They really show the beauty and dynamics of clouds within these weather systems that you wouldn't always see in 'real time', particularly the different directions of wind flow playing out around these heavy showers/storms...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Video of the thunderstorm I had last night here around 10 pm. ? Make sure your volume is turned up!!

https://youtu.be/bEC6UNjSc8A

• Like 3

Posted

Tonight the jet stream comes into action with a Rosby wave trough over the UK. Looks like Northern France, the channel and even some parts of the southeast are in for some very gusty winds for this time of year.

nmmukgust.thumb.png.ce38603f0ee44feaaef2530686f1a2bd.png

Since this will be a developing low then there is always an opportunity for convective activity especially near the core of the low. Jetstreak exit dynamics will drive the low and we should expect heavy rain for many parts.

jetstream.thumb.png.2c3a6049a31cd119f44d6b18ed1749fa.png

Forecast SkewTs show the tropopause being pulled down so cloud tops will be limited and timing means surface based convection only starts once the system is in the South East of England in the early hours.

sound-Devon-24.thumb.png.1df1b06edc27d00571a851eb3a681251.png1620589486_ukcapelitoday.thumb.png.79e0f79b5be48f9f326c22ae0ee6e5fe.png

Although the tropopause is pulled down and the front will be back bent it is the wrong time of year for sting jets (low not deep enough either).

nmmukprate.thumb.png.5af735b405be1fa476803f174a8754a6.png

Main risk gusty winds and localized flooding.

Wednesday brings another possible day of storms with low level wind convergence likely to trigger storms. Substantial instability in some places mainly in the central and western areas. Winds are weak so no this will limit storm severity.

ukcapeli.thumb.png.458f84232028220a704ba8780a20f7df.png

nmmukwind.thumb.png.835e7b40b808896b601ab22b12f059d7.png1757741700_nmmuk3hrprecip(1).thumb.png.4022e2760fa22c55d81f1c371c10b27a.png

sound-WestMidlands-60.thumb.png.b53d4ed31346e25d66d3f89196d660e7.png

Moisture all the up so convection might be messy with multiple storms hitting some areas. Highest risk is localized flooding.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Unsure if this was posted yesterday 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, BrickFielder said:

Tonight the jet stream comes into action with a Rosby wave trough over the UK. Looks like Northern France, the channel and even some parts of the southeast are in for some very gusty winds for this time of year.

nmmukgust.thumb.png.ce38603f0ee44feaaef2530686f1a2bd.png

Since this will be a developing low then there is always an opportunity for convective activity especially near the core of the low. Jetstreak exit dynamics will drive the low and we should expect heavy rain for many parts.

jetstream.thumb.png.2c3a6049a31cd119f44d6b18ed1749fa.png

Forecast SkewTs show the tropopause being pulled down so cloud tops will be limited and timing means surface based convection only starts once the system is in the South East of England in the early hours.

sound-Devon-24.thumb.png.1df1b06edc27d00571a851eb3a681251.png1620589486_ukcapelitoday.thumb.png.79e0f79b5be48f9f326c22ae0ee6e5fe.png

Although the tropopause is pulled down and the front will be back bent it is the wrong time of year for sting jets (low not deep enough either).

nmmukprate.thumb.png.5af735b405be1fa476803f174a8754a6.png

Main risk gusty winds and localized flooding.

Wednesday brings another possible day of storms with low level wind convergence likely to trigger storms. Substantial instability in some places mainly in the central and western areas. Winds are weak so no this will limit storm severity.

ukcapeli.thumb.png.458f84232028220a704ba8780a20f7df.png

nmmukwind.thumb.png.835e7b40b808896b601ab22b12f059d7.png1757741700_nmmuk3hrprecip(1).thumb.png.4022e2760fa22c55d81f1c371c10b27a.png

sound-WestMidlands-60.thumb.png.b53d4ed31346e25d66d3f89196d660e7.png

Moisture all the up so convection might be messy with multiple storms hitting some areas. Highest risk is localized flooding.

Let's hope you're right about that sting jet thing, don't want one near me ever again, once was more than enough.

• Like 1