Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
3 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

In the early hours of 1st June 1983, there were notable thunderstorms imported from France in the south of England, with particularly active cells at 1am and 3am. I was camping in Hampshire at the time and recall an interesting if sleepless night! These storms were described recently on another thread.  

I was on night duty observing at Hertsmonceux on 31st May/1st June 1983. It was one of the two most thundery night shifts in my career in the Met Office- certainly dramatic. The other very thundery night shift was 24th/25th July 1984 also at Herstmonceux.

Posted
17 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

{redacted}

There was 90 mm of rain in two hours at Wooton Bassett (Wilts) on the 2nd. 92 mm of rain at Cheshunt (Herts.) and 61mm at Enfield on the 4th. Cheshunt then had a further 35mm of rain on the 5th (that meant twice the normal monthly rainfall in two days). 

I remember '82 well enough, I lived in Cheshunt at the time. It quite literally got as dark as night. I was terrified.

It's a funny thing but my Nan lived in a caravan park in Wootton Bassett back then too :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I wasn’t alive to witness the 80’s. I just remember as a kid in the 90’s, at primary school there used to be very regular and at times bad afternoon storms usually coming up from the S-SW or W as we exited school and went home, in most Mays and June’s certainly between 1996-2001! Not to mention being woken by those night time beasts we used to get, and even the first thing at times the teacher mentioned was ‘put your hand up if you was woken up last night then’!! Great times! 

There definitely isn’t as many nowadays, even the unstable SW to NW maritime instability has waned greatly compared to what we used to get. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I wasn’t alive to witness the 80’s. I just remember as a kid in the 90’s, at primary school there used to be very regular and at times bad afternoon storms usually coming up from the S-SW or W as we exited school and went home, in most Mays and June’s certainly between 1996-2001! Not to mention being woken by those night time beasts we used to get, and even the first thing at times the teacher mentioned was ‘put your hand up if you was woken up last night then’!! Great times! 

There definitely isn’t as many nowadays, even the unstable SW to NW maritime instability has waned greatly compared to what we used to get. 

Do you remember the one that came from the east, that confused me at the time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Do you remember the one that came from the east, that confused me at the time. 

I remember we had a couple from the East here! It was unusual! Can’t remember the exact dates or years. The most recent notable one was in 2003 if I recall. Had none like that one since from the East. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I remember we had a couple from the East here! It was unusual! Can’t remember the exact dates or years. The most recent notable one was in 2003 if I recall. Had none like that one since from the East. 

It was before that, late nineties I think, but what a night that was, it confused me, as there was a gust front with lightning and light rain in, once that first bit of storm went through, I though, what I could see to my east was the storm we just had, left to go shop, and could not work out why lightning was getting closer and louder again. Was home before it really kicked off though, and we watched the lightning hitting the crystal palace broadcasting towers for hours.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

I think it was summer 1994, starting around late July time, there was a two week period up in County Durham where we had quite severe thunderstorms nearly everyday; it was tropical weather of warm humid days and an afternoon thunderstorm. I vividly remember clear blue skies and I heard thunder, the storm was still quite a few miles away (I am guessing the thunder came from a positive flash).

Never seen anything like that setup since. I think 1996 was another year when I experience one of the longest thunderstorms, it started around 4pm and continued on right through the night and was still going in the early hours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine

Hi there.   Granted, my knowledge of weather limits me to hunches, but I fancy Sunday evening.

The new savoir, the GFS is giving the -2s and the jet stream will be back. Discuss

IMG_20210622_211536.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Lovely colours and a rainbow this evening.

IMG_20210622_210337.thumb.jpg.860cf3c8d6bf6e8b41e065d26b85aacf.jpgIMG_20210622_210436.thumb.jpg.3969b10c31222d93491cf8b4c0d4ac49.jpgIMG_20210622_210453.thumb.jpg.4b0c1c39ed074d79b8ad4c7a2223b367.jpg

Not convective though, is it?

Edited by Lance M

Posted

It's forecast thunderstorms over the weekend for the south but I'm not expecting much as it's not going to get anywhere near warm or humid enough to create anything significant. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
7 hours ago, Lance M said:

Not convective though, is it?

Looked quite connective in the distance, there was something growing quite tall and rain must have been falling. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

Looked quite connective in the distance, there was something growing quite tall and rain must have been falling. 

If it was to the south, just the tail end of yesterday's rain moving south.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
On 21/06/2021 at 17:05, alexisj9 said:

It was before that, late nineties I think, but what a night that was, it confused me, as there was a gust front with lightning and light rain in, once that first bit of storm went through, I though, what I could see to my east was the storm we just had, left to go shop, and could not work out why lightning was getting closer and louder again. Was home before it really kicked off though, and we watched the lightning hitting the crystal palace broadcasting towers for hours.

I do remember one, not actually originating in the east but it was an Area 51 job which suddenly turned SW and came in across Norfolk during the day (would be late 90s/early 2000s as the pic I have is at the farm). I remember Bren Jones giving me an explanation as to why but I can't remember what that was! it was pretty intense. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 21/06/2021 at 19:27, Dom W said:

I think it was summer 1994, starting around late July time, there was a two week period up in County Durham where we had quite severe thunderstorms nearly everyday; it was tropical weather of warm humid days and an afternoon thunderstorm. I vividly remember clear blue skies and I heard thunder, the storm was still quite a few miles away (I am guessing the thunder came from a positive flash).

Never seen anything like that setup since. I think 1996 was another year when I experience one of the longest thunderstorms, it started around 4pm and continued on right through the night and was still going in the early hours.

Heyyy Dom, I remember that storm very well in '96 - i was staying in Stanley for a family get together and what an experience...we all thought my Late Grannie was having the last laugh while we were celebrating her life by partying!!  Also, whenever we visited family in Co Durham, years before, my dad always said as we left the off the A1, stormclouds would be waiting - he was more often than not, spot on with his predictions.

• Like 1

Posted

Something's kicked off in the North-east of England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I can remember the storms in the 80's. As I lived on the coast we had right humdingers. One that sticks out was one evening it pretty much thundered all night and was still at it when we were packing our car to go on Holiday  to Devon at 5am.

We stopped at a services a few hours later and the sky was amazing. Full of Ac Cas. I never seem a sky like it and i wish i could taken a picture.  Perfect white turrets. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

I see a few folks recounting storms in the 1980s. I recall the monster of 1981 - think it was this 5 August event:

I worked in Nutfield, along the A25 at that time, and my friend and I had arrived at work in an absolute torrential downpour around 08:00am. The sky cleared and we thought we were in for a nice hot day. Were we wrong!

Around 11:00am the sky started to cloud over and it grew dark and darker. We could hear thunder off to the west. A colleague called me to go and look out the west windows where she said the Jehova's Witnesses would be gathering on the hill tops. The sight will remain with me. A wall of pitch black with a multitude of cloud-ground strikes. The whole thing stretched south to north. And a helicopter flew really low in a hurry over our place as it headed for Redhill aerodrome to land as quickly as possible.  It continued to get dark until it was virtually night, with only a glimmer of light on the southern horizon.

The storm front struck and the skies emptied onto us. What a downpour, with loads of lightning. It lasted an hour, maybe hour and a half. Naturally the power went off. And then it was pretty much gone.

Now, in those days I knew nothing about storms. I was still wet about the ears, so to speak. But I remember this system was in the evening news over flooding and damage in London.  Some of you will probably remember it more accurately. But to my mind it remains one of the most apocryphal storms I've ever seen, and I've see a good few big storms since then.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
3 hours ago, NUT said:

Something's kicked off in the North-east of England

Now below Birmingham  something moving down from the N

Posted
2 hours ago, StormLoser said:

I see a few folks recounting storms in the 1980s. I recall the monster of 1981 - think it was this 5 August event:

I worked in Nutfield, along the A25 at that time, and my friend and I had arrived at work in an absolute torrential downpour around 08:00am. The sky cleared and we thought we were in for a nice hot day. Were we wrong!

Around 11:00am the sky started to cloud over and it grew dark and darker. We could hear thunder off to the west. A colleague called me to go and look out the west windows where she said the Jehova's Witnesses would be gathering on the hill tops. The sight will remain with me. A wall of pitch black with a multitude of cloud-ground strikes. The whole thing stretched south to north. And a helicopter flew really low in a hurry over our place as it headed for Redhill aerodrome to land as quickly as possible.  It continued to get dark until it was virtually night, with only a glimmer of light on the southern horizon.

The storm front struck and the skies emptied onto us. What a downpour, with loads of lightning. It lasted an hour, maybe hour and a half. Naturally the power went off. And then it was pretty much gone.

Now, in those days I knew nothing about storms. I was still wet about the ears, so to speak. But I remember this system was in the evening news over flooding and damage in London.  Some of you will probably remember it more accurately. But to my mind it remains one of the most apocryphal storms I've ever seen, and I've see a good few big storms since then.

Recall this one  well although i was very young. Went totally dark and the thunder was continuous. Non stop lighting in groups of 4-5 flashes. Immense and i remember walking home without shoes in a couple of inches of surface water. Never seen anything since which comes close to this. Wonder if it was a unique set of circumstances? By the way i gre up in London and i think this hit around 9:30 in the morning. I had heard there was another storm system which passed through a few hours later but dont recall that one. 

Edited by tempesta
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Have a look at the Euro storm thread

..east Czech

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Part of the Czech city of Hodonin has been levelled by a strong tornado a short while ago

Wow. That must have been an F3 at least to that sort of damage. It looks like it has picked up cars?

• Like 1