Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Looks as if more robust destabilisation is beginning to occur over portions of France, with a noticeable uptick in lightning activity over the past 15 minutes or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
38 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Finally, the skies have transformed from the Cirrus we've had all day, to something a tad more convective. A nice skyscape starting to take hold.

Yes, I can also confirm that the skies are looking far better than earlier, as they had that bust look about them, now I'm feeling more confident.

The question is where to go, I'm thinking west Dorset is looking best at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 hours ago, VillagePlank said:

"Results show that elevated convection cases produced more rainfall, total CG lightning flashes, and positive CG lightning flashes than surface based thunderstorms."

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2705/5a77074615d97ac474ff77694f174f7d3adb.pdf

That may well be the case. I was going by things I read from Estofex and on UKWW.

That storm a couple of years back over the far SW was a good example of how an elevated storm can have very few CGs - it was almost exclusively intracloud in almost if the videos I’ve seen from the night (can’t remember the date but it was in May a few years ago I think).

I watched some footage on a severe weather show on TV from it where someone was videoing from their loft window, suddenly a bolt struck a house very nearby. Shows how it can ‘feel’ safe and lull you into a false sense of security but will always find a way to remind you it’s a powerful natural force you don’t want to mess about with

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

That may well be the case. I was going by things I read from Estofex and on UKWW.

That storm a couple of years back over the far SW was a good example of how an elevated storm can have very few CGs - it was almost exclusively intracloud in almost if the videos I’ve seen from the night (can’t remember the date but it was in May a few years ago I think).

I watched some footage on a severe weather show on TV from it where someone was videoing from their loft window, suddenly a bolt struck a house very nearby. Shows how it can ‘feel’ safe and lull you into a false sense of security but will always find a way to remind you it’s a powerful natural force you don’t want to mess about with

Absolutely spot on, as I was directly underneath one and wasn't really that nervous about getting struck, I know the chances of getting struck by lightning are staggeringly small, but that's for normal people, you know,  the ones  that don't actively go and search for storms  

We must have more chance, but that being said, if we do get something, I'm sure we'll get some decent CGs

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 2

Posted

Some of the south coast webcams may be worth a watch later. Be nice to get a lightning fix, we won't be getting the real thing here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It’s completely stratiform cloud in NW Kent at the moment, with it has to be said a cool but refreshing breeze. Are we saying it’s clearer down on the coast? Heading to Kent coast shortly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder
2 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Some of the south coast webcams may be worth a watch later. Be nice to get a lightning fix, we won't be getting the real thing here. 

Bournemouth peir webcam has a perfect veiw to wacth the storm come in

4bafd3e6cde1f29326026409fbfe27c3.png
MAGICSEAWEED.COM

Get the latest Bournemouth surf report including local surf height, swell period, wind and tide charts. Score access to long-range surf forecasts, and ad-free web cams with Magicseaweed Pro

WWW.SORTEDSURFSHOP.CO.UK

Sorted Surf Shop provides a live Bournemouth Surf Cam so you can veiw the live surf conditions without havig to travel to the beach. Bournemouth surf cam is a great way to check live surf as it changes.

2 webcams

• Thanks 1

Posted

This is the current view looking directly south (Christchurch) the higher cloud in the distance is probably related to the storms near the channel islands, 

We had full cloud cover only an hour or so ago

16270613284968217223851241438993.jpg

Edited by Southern Storm
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sam jackson88 said:

Bournemouth peir webcam has a perfect veiw to wacth the storm come in

4bafd3e6cde1f29326026409fbfe27c3.png
MAGICSEAWEED.COM

Get the latest Bournemouth surf report including local surf height, swell period, wind and tide charts. Score access to long-range surf forecasts, and ad-free web cams with Magicseaweed Pro

WWW.SORTEDSURFSHOP.CO.UK

Sorted Surf Shop provides a live Bournemouth Surf Cam so you can veiw the live surf conditions without havig to travel to the beach. Bournemouth surf cam is a great way to check live surf as it changes.

2 webcams

I'm about 20 minutes from there, I'll give you all a wave later

• Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Well I was going to Dobwalls v Tavistock in a PSF tonight, but it's off thanks to Covid. 

So it'll be an early night and hopefully I'll get something around midnight. ???

Off topic! Tavistock are an excellent club! Dobwalls are coming up to play Westbury next week!

Posted

Rarely am I pulled out of my aestivation to come on here in the summer but I have to say it looks quite ripe down here for some decent cracks later on

The sky has cleared very nicely indeed and has a pretty convective look and feel about it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder
4 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Rarely am I pulled out of my aestivation to come on here in the summer but I have to say it looks quite ripe down here for some decent cracks later on

The sky has cleared very nicely indeed and has a pretty convective look and feel about it.

yeah 40 minutes ago was quite cloudy and had a nice breeze now its cleard up and become humid and oppresive, feels charged

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

99% Yes

1 recent one I remember that did make it over from La France was the Camber Sands Supercell / Ex-Supercell that hit a good few years back

One big thunderstorm i remember was back at the beginning of july 2001 i think it was a massive storm pushed up from the southwest and lasted several hours but the lightning was constant and thunder like something from a movie but remember that night as a house few streets away got struck. Dont know if there's any charts on here from that one.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, pinball wizard said:

Like a new thread will make any difference!

Of course not, but if we do get something decent, it's always nice to be able to look back at a specific event with a fresh clean thread, but that's probably just me!

So no worries if not, just an idea

Posted
1 minute ago, Southern Storm said:

Of course not, but if we do get something decent, it's always nice to be able to look back at a specific event with a fresh clean thread, but that's probably just me!

So no worries if not, just an idea

It's ok Southern, truth be told I'm just jealous of what you're in for tonight

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, pinball wizard said:

It's ok Southern, truth be told I'm just jealous of what you're in for tonight

I knew it!

Well, I will be out with my camera gear, so hopefully myself and many others will be able to capture some of it.

I know it's not the same, as we have been storm starved here in central southern areas for I while now, just got to keep our fingers crossed, as the last event turned into a nothing burger, so you never know!

• Like 1

Posted

Great view of whatever is coming from the Cherbourg area. Some menacing clouds are already showing on the web camera

iowcomexclusivewebcamneedles.svg
WWW.ISLEOFWIGHT.COM

The Needles is arguably the most iconic landmark on the Isle of Wight and known the world over when mentioning the Isle of Wight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 minute ago, OddSpot said:

Great view of whatever is coming from the Cherbourg area. Some menacing clouds are already showing on the web camera

iowcomexclusivewebcamneedles.svg
WWW.ISLEOFWIGHT.COM

The Needles is arguably the most iconic landmark on the Isle of Wight and known the world over when mentioning the Isle of Wight.

I'll be hopping in the car soon and heading to near there I'd imagine!

• Like 1

Posted

Currently fishing in yateley, so very much going to be out in the open for this event if it comes through. The rods are already starting to beep, so maybe the fish know more than me at the moment. Fish and storms, now there's an old combo that everyone loves. Hope some people get a cracker over the next 24 hours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

I've heard that the thunderstorms are going to die out before they get to me tonight, but fingers crossed for tomorrow as it's looking promising.

Home for a quick shower and to charge the phone the heading of to the Cumberland hotel on cliff top at Bournemouth to have a few beers and watch these storms roll in! If they don’t I’ll be on the Rum….