Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Worthing, West Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
  • Location: Worthing, West Sussex

    There are two very simple answers to today/tomorrow's thunderstorms.

     

    Are we going to get any thunder and lightning today or tomorrow:

    The first, and shortest answer is No.

    The second, rather more long winded answer, is nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 

     

    You're very welcome, you don't have to thank me. 

     

    Edited by tomp456
    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Shoreham-by-sea, West Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
  • Location: Shoreham-by-sea, West Sussex
    14 minutes ago, Lance M said:

    The massive 'gurt CG in my profile pic was from an elevated storm 😄

    Are not all storms that approach from the channel elevated? Can't recall a surface based one.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: nr Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
  • Location: nr Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
    4 minutes ago, Freeze said:

    Are not all storms that approach from the channel elevated? Can't recall a surface based one.

    Pretty much, although I think some massive SB ones made it over from France back in the 90s etc. 

    Autumn and winter can produce surface based storms in the channel though when the water is warmer.

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
    6 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

    There are two very simple answers to today/tomorrow's thunderstorms.

     

    Are we going to get any thunder and lightning today or tomorrow:

    The first, and shortest answer is No.

    The second, rather more long winded answer, is nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 

     

    You're very welcome, you don't have to thank me. 

     

    If I was a thunderstorm, I definitely would avoid Worthing ....

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Leigh On Sea - Essex & Tornado Alley
  • Location: Leigh On Sea - Essex & Tornado Alley
    7 minutes ago, Freeze said:

    Are not all storms that approach from the channel elevated? Can't recall a surface based one.

    99% Yes

    1 recent one I remember that did make it over from La France was the Camber Sands Supercell / Ex-Supercell that hit a good few years back

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
    6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

    99% Yes

    1 recent one I remember that did make it over from La France was the Camber Sands Supercell / Ex-Supercell that hit a good few years back

    Was that the one that made it up to Medway, and we named it the 'Medway Sausage' ?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Belper, Derbyshire
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
  • Location: Belper, Derbyshire

    I am seriously considering a long journey to the south coast for tonight. If there is a night time lightning show then I want to see it.

    • Like 9
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Leigh On Sea - Essex & Tornado Alley
  • Location: Leigh On Sea - Essex & Tornado Alley
    1 minute ago, VillagePlank said:

    Was that the one that made it up to Medway, and we named it the 'Medway Sausage' ?

    The Very Same VP - It even showed its ugly head in the Estuary lol

    Think it was around the 17th July some years back

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
    Just now, Paul Sherman said:

    The Very Same VP - It even showed its ugly head in the Estuary lol

    Think it was around the 17th July some years back

    I took my kids out in the car up to Bluebell Hill that night. Completely and utterly overwhelming - the kids still talk about it from time to time, even now.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Worthing, West Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
  • Location: Worthing, West Sussex
    18 minutes ago, VillagePlank said:

    If I was a thunderstorm, I definitely would avoid Worthing ....

    They've been doing a grand job at that in the last few years. Two claps of thunder observed in the last 18 months! 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
    Just now, tomp456 said:

    They've been doing a grand job at that in the last few years. Two claps of thunder observed in the last 18 months! 

    It wasn't thunder. It was me, a microphone, a loud amp, and two hands 😉

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Work: Wallingford Home: Keynsham, Bristol
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
  • Location: Work: Wallingford Home: Keynsham, Bristol

    UKV 12z is more impressive than previous runs. Though it decays the line of storms very quickly, however it done the same with the storms earlier off the NW coast of France and they've still been going on.

    ukv1.thumb.png.4e673b56374b7175faba08a58af42bd4.png

    Edited by Ben Sainsbury
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Belper, Derbyshire
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
  • Location: Belper, Derbyshire
    13 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

    The Very Same VP - It even showed its ugly head in the Estuary lol

    Think it was around the 17th July some years back

    2014 I think. The one that produced the spectacular shelf cloud.

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Efford, Plymouth
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
  • Location: Efford, Plymouth

    Looking NE, there's some great instability around in the atmosphere! 

     

    I think we'll cope it tonight.

    20210723_164016.jpg

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Worthing, West Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
  • Location: Worthing, West Sussex

    It feels warm here, but not thundery. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: nr Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
  • Location: nr Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
    23 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

    UKV 12z is more impressive than previous runs. Though it decays the line of storms very quickly, however it done the same with the storms earlier off the NW coast of France and they've still been going on.

    ukv1.thumb.png.4e673b56374b7175faba08a58af42bd4.png

    Nice to be on the eastern side of the main precip. on the models. As is usually the case in these scenarios - east is best.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
  • Location: Rochester, Kent
    11 minutes ago, Lance M said:

    Nice to be on the eastern side of the main precip. on the models. As is usually the case in these scenarios - east is best.

    Normally, quite true. However, I think today is the West's turn, with risk gradually eeking out East as the hours dribble into tomorrow. Not sure it's even worth waiting up for us here in the East, expecting the main event very late in the night, perhaps even dawn, tomorrow, here. The crucial thing for us on this side of the country is the the theta-w plume making it before or during the cold front passage - a timed event that has so much that could possibly go wrong .....

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Ashford Kent
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter. Storms in Summer
  • Location: Ashford Kent
    44 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

    I photographed that one from  Harlow, Essex, it went East of me. Amazing structure.
     

    Approx 2115 - 3.jpg

    Yep 18th July 2014  .. I was at Camber and vidoed this. Fantastic storm 

     

    • Like 7
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Stoke Gifford, Bristol
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.
  • Location: Stoke Gifford, Bristol

    I'm in South Devon for the week and the sky has been looking rather interesting to say the least!

     

    20210723_161734.jpg

    20210723_161820.jpg

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: nr Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
  • Location: nr Yarmouth, Isle of Wight

    Finally, the skies have transformed from the Cirrus we've had all day, to something a tad more convective. A nice skyscape starting to take hold.

    • Like 6
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Efford, Plymouth
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
  • Location: Efford, Plymouth

    Well I was going to Dobwalls v Tavistock in a PSF tonight, but it's off thanks to Covid. 

    So it'll be an early night and hopefully I'll get something around midnight. 🌩🌩🌩

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Portsmouth
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
  • Location: Portsmouth
    26 minutes ago, Lance M said:

    Finally, the skies have transformed from the Cirrus we've had all day, to something a tad more convective. A nice skyscape starting to take hold.

    & a real nice breeze along the coast finally!

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    • Mixed bag this weekend, some sun and some rain

      Dry with sunny spells for many on Saturday, though a band of showery rain for parts of the north and west. Heavy rain moving into eastern areas on Sunday, turning brighter in the west. Fine first half of next week, unsettled second half. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Hints of autumn. Warm sunshine for the weekend but also rain from the west

      Hints of autumn are making themselves known, fog and a coolness in the morning. Leaves beginning, slowly, to turn. But there is still warm sunshine for the weekend but also rain from the west. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      What is CoP26?

      CoP26 is the UN Climate Change Conference, this is the 26th Conference of Parties, in Glasgow. The Parties are issuing important NDCs, Nationally Determined Contributions, their climate plans. Read more here

      Jo Farrow
      Jo Farrow
      Latest weather updates from Netweather
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...