Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

They where seagulls mate

With trails coming out behind??? Its the persoids meteor shower, another user has already uploaded a different video with further meteors 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

They where seagulls mate

Those are some funny looking seagulls.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Azuremoon2 said:

With trails coming out behind??? Its the persoids meteor shower, another user has already uploaded a different video with further meteors 

The trails were dew to the poor cam quality,...i see it all the time,besides meteors straitline not curve like that,...sorry but they where seagulls 

anyway lets not derail the thread as there is a thread for that ☺️

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
9 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Yeah I feel like there's not gonna be any storms here today. Maybe the odd heavy shower but nothing like the MetOffice was predicting. 

Edit: Not sure what MetOffice forecast you're looking at, but for me it has 3 hours of potential thunder for you.

image.thumb.png.285ae9605cb7fb534cbed3dfeb126084.png

I'm not very technological at the best  of times lol but it wasn't that one.  I'll tryand screenshot the forecast I have.

You are right , do you know, at 6a,m there was one thunder symbol , then at 10 am a little shower and no thunder symbol and I've just checked now and wow it's a.l change again lol . I think they arenow casting to be honest.  Hey ho . I'm not upset either way it's just very amusing lol . 

Thanks for pointing it out . I had to do a double take ! 

Edited by Ciderwithrosie
Typo.

Posted
10 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I’ve always found that the Holbeach area seems to get the direct hits from storms every single time up our way historically. King’s Lynn is doing good for me so far, in what has been quite a mediocre year. 

Being in spalding, we tend to find storms seem to go round us, but last night in Chichester all i can say is wow, last night was amazing, what a light show mother nature gave us.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Ciderwithrosie said:

I'm not very technological at the best  of times lol but it wasn't that one.  I'll tryand screenshot the forecast I have.

You are right , do you now, at 6a,m there was one thunder symbol , then at 10 am a little shower and no thunder symbol and I've just checked now and wow it's a.l change again lol . I think they arenow casting to be honest.  Hey ho . I'm not upset either way it's just very amusing lol . 

Thanks for pointing it out . I had to do a double take ! 

I believe the convergence line has shifted a bit South (I could be wrong though) as looking at the latest MetOffice models all the thunderstorms seem to be further South than me. I hope you get something though!

Posted
26 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

I believe the convergence line has shifted a bit South (I could be wrong though) as looking at the latest MetOffice models all the thunderstorms seem to be further South than me. I hope you get something though!

Not sure if its going to happen here either not sure where the cz is going to be

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

The trails were dew to the poor cam quality,...i see it all the time,besides meteors straitline not curve like that,...sorry but they where seagulls 

anyway lets not derail the thread as there is a thread for that ☺️

The cam quality is 1080mp, pretty much the best you can get for a webcam.... And not only that the meteors had a flickering firey trail and actually go behind a cloud before reemerging, that's one hell of a seagull if that's the case, check out the video below... 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .
11 minutes ago, camturbo said:

Not sure if its going to happen here either not sure where the cz is going to be

I'm not sure the weather knows either lol .  

Ah well  as usual time will tell won't it . 

You may be pleasantly  surprised Liam you just never know . Mind you after your neighbours ' lightning strike earlier this month you won't want anything too dramatic I imagine . 

Edited by Ciderwithrosie
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ciderwithrosie said:

I'm not sure the weather knows either lol .  

Ah well  as usual time will tell won't it . 

You never know Liam you might be pleasantly surprised later on . 

Yiu may be pleasantly  surprised Liam yiu just never know . Mind you after your neighbours ' lightning strike earlier this month 

Yeah that was crazy. That was like a constant storm for hours due to the convergence line. I hope I do get surprised but I'm not holding out hope.

Posted

I’m becoming more pessimistic for later today after reading both Convective Weather UK and ESTOFEX’s forecasts. 

ESTOFEX have put the SE at a level 1 with heavy-consistent rain being the primary reason. Although, they have put the SE in a 50% lightening zone. Their forecast really isn’t that exciting.

Dan at Convective Weather Weather forecasts a slight chance, with the condition that breaks in the clouds are needed to trigger any decent convection. However, mid-level flow will weaken as the afternoon progresses reducing speed shear which will lower the chance of cells popping up in the evening. It’s not ruled out though. 

This afternoon is going to be reliant on now casting and radar watching, as in my opinion the conditions aren’t present to confidently predict where storms will hit.

Edited by Superstormuk
Grammar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive
1 hour ago, Azuremoon2 said:

Another vid captured of the meteor shower on the Southampton webcam last night. Thunderstorm and meteors on same cam? I'd take that any day lol

You can join me in my Ball Lightning blooper video! I put the same sort of thing up here last night.  I was told these are seagulls!  And I think I can even see the wings flapping.

They do look like meteors (or ball lightning  ) don't they?

• Like 1

Posted

The cloudy murk over Reigate has intensified. I see no chance of any storm coming out of this stuff. More likely to be drizzling before long.

Anyone for a Yellow Warning for severe drizzle?  

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

You can join me in my Ball Lightning blooper video! I put the same sort of thing up here last night.  I was told these are seagulls!  And I think I can even see the wings flapping.

They do look like meteors (or ball lightning  ) don't they?

They are not seagulls, how can they have firey trails coming out their weeble lol? Seagulls dont fly in formation too. It's not ball lightning either, pretty sure it's the persoids meteor shower, another video I posted here clearly shows one going behind a cloud and reappearing from behind it the other side before burning out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

It was a supersonic seagull. Like @Allseasons-si said we see them all the time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

On the seagull debate from the channel owner 25ED94C7-5B08-4643-BF47-958D5178F76E.thumb.jpeg.7ee131a15a8103e94cfb12e4fdfd3990.jpeg

As for last night that was by far the best storm here since 2018, ok so that’s not difficult considering what I’ve had since is more or less nothing. Great to finally have something at last and it turned out better than I thought it would at one stage. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Morning. Where''s the coffee - uggg!

Not get much sleep? I saw the storm reached you about 4am not long after it had left here so I guess it was light by the time that cleared

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

What a night! Surprise uptick when storms began feeding in from the east, but I had scarpered before then so watched the clouds light up from a high point back near home.

With hindsight Petworth would have been a good spot as the morning progressed but either way managed to get a feel of the storms, which is kind of the essence of the chase.

Only just woken up

AC255178-3858-4050-AD71-AB9A7C4D4951.jpeg

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

AROME, Euro4 and NMM all indicating the potential for storms in the Channel tonight but a little frustratingly all dying as they approach the coast. Might be lucky enough to get some lightning displays before they decay. 

• Like 1

Posted

Gah... the "Severe Drizzle" at Reigate has turned to steady rain. So much for gardening. So much for thunderstorms. Eyup, wet day in t'garden again.

The seagull business makes me chuckle. The channel owner says they're seagulls, so that's that.

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Not get much sleep? I saw the storm reached you about 4am not long after it had left here so I guess it was light by the time that cleared

I got 130-230 then 530-830 when kids got up. I went into Jessicas bed for peace around 9 and slept til 11 - got up and made kids more food then back to bed for another hour! So a very broken night! I'm someone that needs 10 hours sleep so this hurts lol

• Like 4