Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Great to see that the radar doesn't always paint a true reflection.

Just looks like a decaying mass of moderate rain as it nears London with hardly any strikes detected? I guess you are seeing CC lightning?

Just seen you have CG

Vast vast majority of the lightning was CC/IC but as the main core came through about 30 mins ago we had several CGs and a few awesome positive bolts (I think the positives were CC/IC) - ground and wall shaking peels.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

The south has had a pretty good night/morning, looking forward to videos and pics!

Seems this July period is getting a reputation for storms, these are from 24th and 25th July in 2019. 

Storm3a.jpg

S4.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Long loud distant rumbles but looks like it's dying off as it makes its way inland. Not sure if it will make it here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Was just outside videoing the backside of the storms after 2 hours now the rains stopped, and another cell is now developing behind it! 

A lot developing near these storms. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Vast vast majority of the lightning was CC/IC but as the main core came through about 30 mins ago we had several CGs and a few awesome positive bolts (I think the positives were CC/IC) - ground and wall shaking peels.

Yeah, saw lots of those cg's but was pointing my camera in the wrong direction 

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

image.thumb.png.63d28431238ca13b6ef64d6dfaf8e0f9.png

Might be around round for Kent coming up if it can survive the tiny space from around Calais to Dover.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold
32 minutes ago, Typhoon John said:

Absolutely nothing of note here. It's that calm I'm going to take the dog out.

To be fair I could hear some distant rumbles, either that or some planes heading to Heathrow.

What does everyone think about the chances for later today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Looking at the rain radars from last night and it seems like most of the heavy rain was to my east and went up towards wales, I only got a dribble of rain. Far from what most models predicted would happen.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Looking at the rain radars from last night and it seems like most of the heavy rain was to my east and went up towards wales, I only got a dribble of rain. Far from what most models predicted would happen.

It depends which Model, as they were fairly consistent until Wednesday, then it was a case of "take yer pick". All of us would have naturally graduated to our favourite and ignored words and phrases like "a chance", "some of it thundery" and "hit and miss". 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
9 hours ago, Kasim Awan said:

If this isn't a bust I don't know what a bust is.

This aged well

• Like 8

Posted
7 hours ago, StormLoser said:

I'm not sure how the rest of the night will turn out, but I think the South East will miss most of the forecast bad weather. I can't quite get my head around why the MO forecast heavy rain for 5-6am, here. There's nothing out there to head this way! There's not even a squall line to deliver it.

Even their pressure charts don't forecast it. Mighty puzzled.

Well, we did get some nice storms here around 6 so maybe the MO were onto something. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
24 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Well what a busy night. Started filming distant lightning in the Channel at about 11pm, watched it pass over about 2 hours later and then finished up filming as a storm passed over me just Southeast of Andover. This storm had some particularly loud thunder and I have captured multiple IC's, CG's and bright CC flashes. Definitely worth the trip despite me having to now face the journey home. Already made it to Oxford, but still a way to go yet. Lots of footage to edit though

Speaking of footage, for those not subscribed to my channel with alerts set (who want to watch my storm videos) this is my video from Tuesday with the severe storm between Stamford and Corby. It's quite a longish video. 

Great vid Supacell. Have great memories of cycling around Essendine, Ryhall and Stamford areas! Even chased a few storms out that way too. Very quiet and loads of backroads to stop and get some good pictures without any ambient traffic noise. 

Hopefully some more daytime events around the corner for this weekend and into next week now. Charts aren’t looking that bad for it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Thunder woke me up a couple of times. Was too tired to get up and watch it sadly! Was nice to hear the old girl though, even in my groggy, half dead state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

So it seems a storm hit here around 4 in the morning when I was fast asleep. Typical! Why do all storms happen in the middle of the night here? Late afternoon into the evening would be perfect. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just had about an hour's worth of rumbles, althoughgh it went around Dover, staying off shore mostly. Cleared now. Suns coming out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

After all the warnings yesterday had absolutely nothing here not even any rain, living between two moors seems to split any storm activity to either side, like a microclimate here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Got a few distant rumbles in Cowbridge where I am for work. Looked at the radar and theres nothing near here, the storms way out in the channel. Not sure if its from that or something else developing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

Moan alert:

Looks like my area is gonna miss out again, whilst all the usual places get their 100th storm day of the year.

I have half a mind to write to my MP!

Who's bitter? I'm not bitter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I was in Westbury until 02:00am last night working and from about 22:00 onwards there were sporadic elevated flashes visible over the night sky from the Portland area.  These became a little more frequent after midnight.  Noticeable was the fact there was no wind at all, it felt very eerie.

Back home in Keynsham, I was awoken by thunder at around 05:00 this morning, along with a short, sharp burst of hail.  Didn't notice too much lightning though.

The standard power cut occured at around 07:00, which seems to happen every time I get a electrical storm (which is rarely)!

I wish I could have stayed at Westbury, and gone up to the White Horse.  No doubt some incredible views there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any description.

As expected, a total bust for 99.9%. Now we are left with the cloud and mizzle. 

Posted

Had one cracking storm between 4am and 5:30 just outside of Frome. Didn't get any pics or videos as don't have a decent enough camera but the rain was quite heavy, the lightning really bright and proper booming thunder. First storm I've had since moving to Frome so happy I've finally seen something here.

Had one decent fork that went down somewhere in the vicinity of Warminster/Longleat area from what I could see.

• Like 1