Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, Azuremoon2 said:

a bit of realism maybe. This storm event got sooo much hype this week it was incredible. I was expecting the Apocalypse. Instead we have had a few distant flashes over the sea and not a single strike on the mainland. As i initially predicted this would be the case. Oh well, lets roll onto the next 'event' which will ultimately let us down again lol

What hype? 

All I remember was people telling its going to be a big bust, with just thundery rain with not much in it, maybe a couple poster's hyped it up but I wasnt expecting much at all from what people were posting. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
13 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Why do some have to be so Bitter and negative, so what if it isn't a storm of the century event, let people enjoy tonight for what it is, surely a distant light show is better than nothing??

I’d rather a distant light show I can watch without my eyeballs being burnt out

• Like 3

Posted

All the bust/negative comments lol. I can safely say it's no bust in this part of Dorset. Lightning very close and loud thunder almost overhead. This has been going on for hours now. And there's been much more lightning than all the detectors are showing. So certainly not a bust in my neck of the woods

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
Just now, Azuremoon2 said:

a bit of realism maybe. This storm event got sooo much hype this week it was incredible. I was expecting the Apocalypse. Instead we have had a few distant flashes over the sea and not a single strike on the mainland. As i initially predicted this would be the case. Oh well, lets roll onto the next 'event' which will ultimately let us down again lol

Maybe you should evaluate your expectations and be prepared for disappointment

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm watching Exeter's weather with interest as I was there prior to April this year and it looks like a prime setup for getting a big storm there, but so far it's looking like it would've been quite frustrating had I still been there. 

Unusually, I'm not looking to complain about my old location getting storms and me missing them, as I'm on 10 thunder-days so far in Lincoln, and I get the impression that Exeter is currently on just 1 or 2.  I'd actually be pleased for the storm lovers in Exeter if they were to get a good one tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Electricmumma said:

Haha I’m not sure I know what hour of the morning that is

I do, been up since 4am yesterday, how am I still awake, I don't know? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
9 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Looking at the wrong forecasts then mate

forecast.thumb.jpg.5b57520fa39630c6e4ca32bd7c0bffa2.jpg

Funny that, when I suggested this scenario yesterday, I was mocked, and your forecast was the opposite.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder

just heard a faint ruble and its become so humid here in southampton, i think it is gonna kick off once it makes landfull

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, skyblusam said:

All the bust/negative comments lol. I can safely say it's no bust in this part of Dorset. Lightning very close and loud thunder almost overhead. This has been going on for hours now. And there's been much more lightning than all the detectors are showing. So certainly not a bust in my neck of the woods

Yeah, definitly more Lightning than the detectors are detecting here as well, lots of nice, lightning here and some rumbling thunder. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Keep the videos and pictures coming! I can't fall asleep right now it's still so humid here, praying for some thunder later today to clear this air as it's really needed. Hope everyone enjoys the lightning/

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

Maybe you should evaluate your expectations and be prepared for disappointment

mate I'm used to it living in Cheshire, no rain for 6 weeks now and no thunder since August last year despite us having 13 storm warnings already this summer. I was just expecting so much more tonight based on the amount of attention this event got...oh well

• Like 1

Posted

Humidity:76% 

Humidex:16.2°C

Dew Point:10.5°C 

Wet Bulb:12.5°C

yep its getting more humid and dew point has climbed 1.5c in last half hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

From my six and a half years of living in Exeter I remember that for whatever reasons the ATD system was less good at picking up lightning strikes over the south-west in this kind of setup.  In almost every other setup it's very reliable, but I remember quite a few big storms down there which had only a scattering of strikes showing up, and yet I was observing strikes every 5-10 seconds reasonably close to or over Exeter.  Good examples of this were on 19 July 2017 and 23/24 July 2019.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Azuremoon2 said:

mate I'm used to it living in Cheshire, no rain for 6 weeks now and no thunder since August last year despite us having 13 storm warnings already this summer. I was just expecting so much more tonight based on the amount of attention this event got...oh well

I'm sorry you are disappointed. The day is still young though, and there is meant to be more thunderstorms later today (M4 corridor could see a convergence line). I believe these thunderstorms will be more feisty than the current ones. 

But please don't dampen other peoples moods just because it's not how you expected it to be. Let people be happy, and stop saying it's a bust.

Edited by Liam Burge
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
3 minutes ago, Sam jackson88 said:

just heard a faint ruble and its become so humid here in southampton, i think it is gonna kick off once it makes landfull

I'm sure Putin won't be impressed!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, James1979 said:

I'm sure Putin won't be impressed!

forgot the letter M in rumble lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sam jackson88 said:

Must be the Russians attacking through the Channel again! /S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I am enjoying tonight although i am hundreds of miles from the sweet spot ha ha

there is some negativity in this thread,...the night isn't done yet me thinks.

chill guys.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Liam Burge said:

I'm sorry you are disappointed. The day is still young though, and there is meant to be more thunderstorms later today (M4 corridor could see a convergence line). I believe these thunderstorms will be more feisty than the current ones. 

But please don't dampen other peoples moods just because it's not how you expected it to be. Let people be happy, and stop saying it's a bust.

fair enough, Im glad Dorset and Hampshire have managed to have some action at least

• Like 2

Posted

One  of the best storms i remember hitting the southwest was the mother of all thunderstorms back in early july 2001 that went on all night never heard thunder like that since.

• Like 2