Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

My personal opinion would be that it counts as a Plume, BUT only just. The actual LP isn't coming from Spain; it's more from the Atlantic. However it does look like it's sucking up a plume, albeit a small one, of unstable mid-level air sourced from the Spanish plateau. 

Of course I'd much prefer the chart Mapantz showed for July '19, and there's zero arguement whether that one counted as a plume! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

31.1°C here now. Haven’t noticed any close lightning strikes Everything still 50–60 km to the east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

My tuppence worth is I do consider it a plume but far from traditional. If you run the CAPE chart from this evening through to tomorrow night on Meteociel, you can see how the instability wafts north from the Spanish plateau/Pyrenees region. Although as Mapantz is getting at its far from classic and the air mass is moderated somewhat on its route north.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 minutes ago, Lance M said:

My personal opinion would be that it counts as a Plume, BUT only just. The actual LP isn't coming from Spain; it's more from the Atlantic. However it does look like it's sucking up a plume, albeit a small one, of unstable mid-level air sourced from the Spanish plateau. 

Of course I'd much prefer the chart Mapantz showed for July '19, and there's zero arguement whether that one counted as a plume! 

This is how half of our plumes occur - a low in the Atlantic helping hot air waft up the eastern side, often from the SE.

One could think of this one as a sort of ‘returning plume’.

Then again it could be an upside down plume like the one from Scandinavia in May 2004... that was just bizarre.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 hour ago, ChezWeather said:

Literally constant thunder

IMG_20210722_152612.jpg

IMG_20210722_152615.jpg

Looks brilliant. Very much alike to storms and conditions I have seen over Majorca, Spain, and parts of Greece/Turkey, I.E a well defined sheet of biblical rain in a confined area. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looks like the top of the Anvil from the Derbyshire storm has come into view

3425.thumb.JPG.db1ca2fc6d53dcf508a00d7b3f2cd68f.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just got a lightning alarm on weather station at 33 km

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

This is a beauty, the cell NE of Leek, quite active at the moment, unfortunately too far to hear anything. 

20210722_163747.jpg

Was watching this cell develop pretty much over my house where it moved eastwards, been hearing constant low rumblings of thunder the last 15 mins! 

• Like 1

Posted

That's our chances gone for the day. Everything was building perfectly but it's all heading South, blue skies now at the back, great cumulus clouds though, precipitation showing on radar but not quite there to go pop 

colum.jpg

Edited by TJS1998Tom
  • Like 1

Posted

Did the cell over the Peak Disrtict just die off? That was short lived, but intense, with me seeing it only from a distance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
45 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Unfortunately not every Spanish Plume is a 'typical' Spanish Plume (like the one you have highlighted). The variation of the "Modified Spanish Plume" as I referred to before (with credits to Sue Gray & Lewis) looks a bit more like this:

482484776_modifiedspanishplume.thumb.png.9d5ca6ac79d90baa30d10fcdf042cce9.pngsp.thumb.gif.5725b8453ee4baaad07580a6f6ffdf31.gif

As quoted by Suzanne Gray & Lewis "Unlike the classical Spanish plume the upper-level trough has stretched and thinned equator-ward and is forward (northwest–southeast) tilted. This can lead to a cut-off upper-level feature which is typically centred to the northwest of the Bay of Biscay." Taken from their paper (Categorisation of synoptic environments associated with mesoscale convective systems over the UK). However, we can agree to disagree of course, but yeah I do admit its not your classic spanish plume

There's no way you can compare that FAX to the image of the modified plume. The jet axis isn't heading towards the UK, from the South. It's skirting around the South and in to the low countries. If we're calling that a plume, then we've already had multiple plume events this Summer, but I don't remember them?!

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ruck Bodgers said:

Was watching this cell develop pretty much over my house where it moved eastwards, been hearing constant low rumblings of thunder the last 15 mins! 

It's  anviled  out lovely now.

20210722_170309.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ruck Bodgers said:

Did the cell over the Peak Disrtict just die off? That was short lived, but intense, with me seeing it only from a distance.

Nevermind, the cell developed more over Blythe Bridge and Caverswall area. Seems like Stoke-on-Trent is setting off some storms for the east of it!

Posted

Just watched that new cell fire up to my SE, it's now out reach though with the rush hour traffic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Always miss here! and stays hot and windless, can see the storms to my north! suppose unlucky again though

Posted

This is nuts, I'm sitting RIGHT on the periphery of this storm, still basking in sunshine with the angle of the sun, while I look south and East the sky is black as night, and I hear consistent constant rumblings!! 

Edited by Ruck Bodgers
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
10 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

There's no way you can compare that FAX to the image of the modified plume. The jet axis isn't heading towards the UK, from the South. It's skirting around the South and in to the low countries. If we're calling that a plume, then we've already had multiple plume events this Summer, but I don't remember them?!

Obviously the FAX and the modified plume image aren't going to be identical. I mean the jet axis in this situation imo sort of "ingests" the low from the south across Iberia. I mean it's quite an awkward non-clean cut setup anyway but I can understand where you're coming from