Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
Just now, Harry said:

Looks as though the new cells S of London have electrified. C/N London storms have lost their electricity sadly.

I wonder if they'll reignite over London.

SIGMET has TOPS at FL350.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Two Anvils now!

image.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
2 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Honestly this is the most bonkers thing I've ever seen. Sorry I'm about 5 miles NNE of Braintree.

I'm not far away from your location. There were large hailstones dropped a few miles down the road from here. We had no rain to speak of, but I think the rain free base came right over. The amount of cloud movement was crazy - not seen anything like it.

41 minutes ago, matty40s said:

With the change in the wind, I am directly in line of the Market Harborough beast.

20210720_182226.jpg

I'm In northampton  and I am monitoring the Market Harborough storm north of us. It has got cloudy here with a rumble or two of thunder.

It is hard to tell if we will get a direct hit or if the storms north of us will travel to the south east of us.

There could also be some more storms popping up from the Market Harborough storms.

I'm just watching out for them flying cows.

storms.png

Edited by DragonFire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Chunky boy over Leicester teasingly just out of view

3098.thumb.JPG.2ed96c85be95dbedbc8a2bbf9771f0a6.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Lincoln storm

Leicester storm

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Got a couple of weak cells heading into my area. Just north of Reigate. I heard some thunder but they don't look very electrified. In fact, they could be Redhill clippers! They might just miss me.  Just waiting on their arrival now.

Argh - missed me and collapsed, too. Pulse storms.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 1

Posted

Are looking at possible MCS in the midlands, it’s birthing daughter cells and I maybe in the firing line, if it holds up, light show for Home Counties possible ! Still so hot and sticky, and really 2 hours of diurnal left. Fingers crossed, this looking N and Nw

8292DA0F-94A8-4F6E-ABFD-D2A91F327166.jpeg

1449FE41-8546-4580-A333-7290E56F37C2.jpeg

Edited by Justin1705
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks much better in person, can't remember the last time I saw something quite like this, not much showing on the radar but very heavy rain nearby, only a matter of time before it pops

storm-4.jpg

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

just started raining here. could smell though the windows. no thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Just now, Justin1705 said:

Are looking at possible MCS in the midlands, it’s birthing daughter cells and I maybe in the firing line, if it holds up, light show for Home Counties possible ! Still so hot and sticky, and really 2 hours of diurnal left. Fingers crossed, this looking N and Nw

That's what I'm hoping for @Justin1705 - once these dregs clear we should have a decent view of flashes from the cells up North. 

The big storms earlier today have done a sufficient job at mixing the air, whereas further North the air is ripe and untainted. 

Really impressed by the lightning rates on those storms in the Leicester area - very impressive.

Would love to know also whether @Ben Sainsbury did in fact spot a large tornado (by UK standards). I suspect he's either chasing the Midlands storms or en route home. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Constant thunder for last 1/2 hour now between Wellingborough and Earl's Barton

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Harry said:

That's what I'm hoping for @Justin1705 - once these dregs clear we should have a decent view of flashes from the cells up North. 

The big storms earlier today have done a sufficient job at mixing the air, whereas further North the air is ripe and untainted. 

Really impressed by the lightning rates on those storms in the Leicester area - very impressive.

Would love to know also whether @Ben Sainsbury did in fact spot a large tornado (by UK standards). I suspect he's either chasing the Midlands storms or en route home. 

Yeahhh! I think that now that’s going, and building sideways it’s sustaining energy’, if it survives we should be in the firing line at dusk so some nice shots. Our home grown storms can be potent!!

• Like 2

Posted

There is still the potential for a very brief plume late Friday/early hours of Saturday.

The bulk of the action will be over France, with C France modelled by WRF NMM to have CAPE widely in excess of 3,000 J/Kg, but in some points in excess of 5,000 J/Kg with LIs of -9 to -12!!!! That is madness.

We MAY get swiped by some of this instability (max 500 - 1,000 MLCAPE), anywhere from Cornwall to Kent and maybe points north. But as it will be associated with an attendant front moving north, it could absorbed into a frontal mess rather than storms. But, something to still keep an eye on - especially if you're holidaying in France on Friday!!

• Like 3

Posted

The storm over Milton Keynes is a little beast!

• Like 3