Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
14 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

I see plenty of you are having a good time. Enjoy! 

My forecast for Reigate was spot on (small "toot" as I blow my own trumpet). On Friday I forecasted a high pressure slope to the south and east that I thought was under-represented in the general forecasts. Sure enough it was present today (Saturday) and  dried everything out exactly as I expected.

After this morning's bit of rain, we had a mix of sun and cloud for the day. There is nothing threatening now.

As for the Met Office's seaweed-based forecast of heavy rain for this area after midnight tonight, it is already being sold off with discounted DFS sofas.

Met Office. All that cash and what can they do?        Hope tomorrow will bring me some luck.

Well looks like it's on radar, on the way, tonight's heavy rain that is. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

Looking like Wales and the sw going to have some flooding issues☔

Take care people looks intense.

Seems to be getting worse by the minute.

Organised convergence

Holt tight

Its coming . . . .

??????? ⚽

Posted

No thunder here yesterday , I dont normally go chasing storms , always feel like its a wild goose chase to me ,,,but watching all that frenzied lighting activity on the radar was obvious it was going to cross the M62 around the huddersfield halifax area ,  so a choice ,,,watch england or have a very good chance of seeing a decent storm at dusk ,    no brainer ,   off in the car and timed it perfect , quiet roads too,    The drive through one of the intense rain cores was scary on motorway,  pulled  off near Huddersfield and watched a bit of lighting and heard some deep explosive sounding thunder ,      

Edited by IanR
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

SOCIAL_LARGE.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Loose, Kent

Dramatic skies outside of Maidstone this morning.

• Like 5

Posted

I expect most of the action today will again be north Midlands up into Northern areas. I expect the south to dry up later, that's just my interpretation of what I expect to happen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Very, very poor in my part of the world....we've had so many days of this muggy air / humidity but absolutely nothing, apart from a few heavy showers, to show for it. Just 2 claps of (distant) thunder heard since April last year. 

Gone are the days of explosive thunderstorms 

• Like 3

Posted

Similar story to yesterday with low level wind convergence driving convective activity. Modelling is not that far apart today so bit more confidence in which areas might see storms. One difference is that the air looks moist all the way up which leads to messy convection and weaker instability. Cloudy showery with embedded storms kind of weather with Forecast Skewts showing temperatures and dewpoints not that relevant.

sound-Cumbria-18.thumb.png.d374cd5459dd514c708f97ef4bf2af94.png

Some keys areas today might be Dartmoor and South Devon with areas downstream in the steering flow (North eastwards). Cumbria and Lancashire look like potential storm areas with orographic conditions helping. Scotland and Northern Ireland may get in on the Action. My choice location would be Lincoln up to York late afternoon as across the Wales and Midlands I think it might be more messy. 

gfs_el_eur15.thumb.png.38e8ed79f9698be201a7ac5ef152ce07.png

sr15rain.thumb.png.10f43685743733b7033e715d2367fd5e.pngsr18rain.thumb.png.2984f4cd1f2e70e94fedd9494aead8ba.png

• Like 5

Posted

We were fortunate to have a decent storm yesterday evening here in West Yorkshire, Bingley whilst England were playing. Alot of lightening and some deep thunder. Fortunately our area looks a great spot later this afternoon/evening again. 

Good luck all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
37 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Very, very poor in my part of the world....we've had so many days of this muggy air / humidity but absolutely nothing, apart from a few heavy showers, to show for it. Just 2 claps of (distant) thunder heard since April last year. 

Gone are the days of explosive thunderstorms 

Yes we're unlucky on this coastal strip, we normally just brew them for the rest of the country to enjoy. All this steamy humid air for weeks and nothing to show for it

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all, after yesterdays bust when it came to storms today risk is pretty much zero, very cloudy again, nice fresh breeze and not feeling overly warm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
9 hours ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

Here's a video of today's thunderstorms in London:

I'll attach some of my videos of the Thunderstorms in Kent as well:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Getting some good insolation this morning for once. Hopefully things won’t avoid me today like they did yesterday.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just a reminder please folks. Posts about a lack of storms should be here 

You can post in here even if you have seen a storm already this year. Okay you may not officially be 'in the club' but it may help someone in that club to know they are not alone in there suffering. If you miss out on a storm on a convective day like yesterday or today then you can post in there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Getting steamy round as the temp slowly rises.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Saw my first bit of lightning of the year in the early hours last night though it was only one faint flash of heat lightning in the clouds.

Just goes to show how unlucky we have been this year when that is the best we can get after a day of potential like yesterday.

Edited by wimblettben
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Torrential rain here again on and off, 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. And muggy. Bizzare weather! Doesn't really feel thundery yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

There is already some beefy looking clouds around here...

DSC03430.thumb.JPG.8651e4dc8afdf980b15f806d6cd441c2.JPGDSC03431.thumb.JPG.9978bff8130e0659c8652f48cd24531e.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, mikeofmacc said:

Torrential rain here again on and off, 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. And muggy. Bizzare weather! Doesn't really feel thundery yet.

Yeah pretty much the same here.  Hoping whatever is fuelling the downpours will fuel some storms later when it’s hopefully a bit warmer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just a few light Showers here. Hope I’m not too close to the coast today.

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A very muggy feel today. Woke up to a downpour about 10am (heavy night for the football last night!) but the showers now seem to be dancing around us. Still the whole of the afternoon though, long overdue a decent storm this year.

• Like 1