Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Distant, very dim flash. Possibly obscured by a thin layer of seamist? 

Edit: faint rumble

Edited by LightningLover
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Looking like the western edge is starting to pep up again but gonna hold fire for the next 15 minutes before deciding if it's worth heading out.

Did capture some footage of some passing storms earlier, but need to go through the videos, hopefully some of the lightning got picked up, and if not I still have some thunder to listen too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Distant, very dim flash. Possibly obscured by a thin layer of seamist? 

Edit: faint rumble

Trust me, nothing thin about this fog, had it for three days now. Even when it rains above, the lower fog stays.

• Like 1

Posted

Cell seems to flashing every 15 seconds or so! Didn't think there was that much fuel this evening?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
16 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Cell seems to flashing every 15 seconds or so! Didn't think there was that much fuel this evening?

What am I missing?

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Model sounding for 11pm BST in roughly that area from the 12z ECMWF - highlights 300 J/kg CAPE with parcels likely lifted from the 900mb level (notice no surface-based CAPE due to cooler temperatures down at sea level relative to aloft). CAPE is quite skinny but would give you cloud tops colder than -40C, and some decent cloud-layer shear, albeit unidirectional. Water vapour imagery also suggests this is forming on the leading edge of some very dry air associated with a PV anomaly, providing extra 'lift'.

Several models have been toying with the idea with a period of uptick in activity over the Channel tonight, probably eventually merging with the mass of rain currently over the IoW and environs, but as to how long lightning lasts for is uncertain...

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 23.09.03.png

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, staplehurst said:

Model sounding for 11pm BST in roughly that area from the 12z ECMWF - highlights 300 J/kg CAPE with parcels likely lifted from the 800mb level (notice no surface-based CAPE due to cooler temperatures down at sea level relative to aloft). CAPE is quite skinny but would give you cloud tops colder than -40C, and some decent cloud-layer shear, albeit unidirectional. Water vapour imagery also suggests this is forming on the leading edge of some very dry air associated with a PV anomaly, providing extra 'lift'.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 23.09.03.png

Thank you! Said it before but I always appreciate your convective forecasts and insightful analysis.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Electricmumma said:

What am I missing?

Occasional flashing in the Eastern Channel courtesy of a lone elevated cell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

Occasional flashing in the Eastern Channel courtesy of a lone elevated cell

Too late to go out now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
Just now, Captain Thunderpants said:

Typical . 10 miles away, near Sturminster Newton where my workshop is, flash flooding, lightning, thunder, apparently really extreme conditions. I received a phone call to say my unit is flooded so not sure what I'm going to find in the morning.... Here at home, near Sherborne, not even so much as spit of rain.... 

The one time that you could have experienced some interesting weather, you were away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Is anyone in here that is near that intense rain between Portsmouth and the IOW?

I'm surprised that nothing electrical is coming from it.

Still feel the night is young

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

Is anyone in here that is near that intense rain between Portsmouth and the IOW?

I'm surprised that nothing electrical is coming from it.

Still feel the night is young

Would appear there’s still nothing electrical but it’s reached here now with torrential rain that just woke me up 

• Like 1

27mm of convective rainfall in the 12hrs to 7am. St Catherines points picked up 53mm. Places north of here probably 50-80mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
On 28/06/2021 at 17:41, Robbie Garrett said:

So after many hours sitting on my backside waiting for this weather to clear up, it finally went above the minima for our departure and eventually return.  We have no official instrument approaches at Stapleford.

So we departed above the layer and no real issues, was in and out of Cu/St. Completed the Instrument Approach into Lydd, and this thing was shooting up right at the hold for the missed approach.  So did a weather avoiding turn and tracked around it.  Awe inspiring the power of them as I was getting lift behind its path. Definitely wouldn't have enjoyed flying through it...

20210628_155428.thumb.jpg.fa5815583868d2363f50aecc8eea48d0.jpg

20210628_155424.thumb.jpg.0db3ed3e281257b1c84c42d1cf240dd6.jpg

Well the day after I flew the same routing, and whilst not massively convective on radar. I am sure there was some stuff embedded that was packing a punch,  but the scariest thing of all. It was so smooth inside the heaviest of the rainfall.   First time I've had zero visibility outside the canopy, normally it's the wings. But the rainfall was so intense in places, we couldn't see.

image.thumb.png.ab80fb173e55e536be82056f9321a061.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
13 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

line of torrential downpours SE Wales and the borders. ~ nothing thundery, though the sky has looked thundery for hours

Yep, can see those out of my window.

Posted
1 minute ago, dr weather said:

Yep, can see those out of my window.

Does it look like high top clouds from where you are ? pretty intense, room dark for a good while now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
2 hours ago, ancientsolar said:

Does it look like high top clouds from where you are ? pretty intense, room dark for a good while now.

Yes, high tops. Looks like it's all easing back now, though still some high tops towards Gloucester and Hereford, at a guess from what I can see. (I have a fairly straight view up the Severn Estuary from where I am).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

App has been teasingly showing thunder icon for Sunday. Let’s see.

But I can’t remember a more dismal run of weather in late June early July (for the SE at least - I appreciate other parts of the UK have suffered persistent rain and awful floods during summer time). 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder

This looks like a monster in the making the base to the top must be 30000 ft at least, more of to my sw aswell 

IMG_20210701_121244.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam jackson88 said:

This looks like a monster in the making the base to the top must be 30000 ft at least, more of to my sw aswell 

IMG_20210701_121244.jpg

More like 10k at most. 30k top would have a big presence on radar and there’s only a couple of modest showers.

Still it does look fairly convective outside here too, like we’re you are. Was a convective forecast issued for today? I’ve not really been paying attention.