Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted

Some activity popped up over northern France, potentially heading towards Kent?

Also, lots of teeny little echoes emerged out of nowhere over Kent and Essex in the last half hour.

A5FD214E-26F8-4834-A2D6-61C202D25842.thumb.png.11317a157a015ba39a706eb0253d1544.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Currently watching led zepp from 1971 with side hatches wide open to see the skies light up in a 50 year tribute. If not, the boat moored opposite will be jaffa cakesed off with the noise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Explosion of elevated convection over the south east in the last 20 mins but looks very shallow at present

Looks very fast moving too. A small pocket has got going in W Norfolk too. Can hear the large raindrops pounding my integrated roof windows! 

• Like 2

Posted

Am I right in saying this is the direction this area seems to be moving up towards? Also some lightning starting to increase again 

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Just heard a very distant rumble too

• Like 2

Posted

Anybody living in coastal regions between Brighton and Canterbury should see some action in the next couple of hours. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just heard a distant rumble, in Dover.

That one was slightly louder, as I type.

Strangely no lighting yet.

May be covered by the cloud coming from the east?

• Like 1

Posted

Well after 3 or 4 days of excitement, hype and models it turned out all that happened was one or two Kent clippers. Which pretty much happens everytime something comes over the Channel.... Oh well on to the next one whenever that will be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Three fine days and a thunderstorm

Well we were only discussing this the other day, plumes don't cut it anymore.

All the MUCAPE stays over France into the North Sea and across to Netherlands/Denmark because of wonky trajectory and steering winds keeping destabilising just out of reach. 

Only lucky grazes for areas mentioned (we had a small very average storm on Suffolk coast as the most northern extent) with decent storms in Kent and South Essex early hours Thursday morning only.

Matches last year for here at least although that doesn't take much beating, will we ever see the likes of more Northerly trajectories that engulf much more of the country or were we just extremely unlucky?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, Bolt From Blue said:

Well we were only discussing this the other day, plumes don't cut it anymore.

All the MUCAPE stays over France into the North Sea and across to Netherlands/Denmark because of wonky trajectory and steering winds keeping destabilising just out of reach. 

Only lucky grazes for areas mentioned (we had a small very average storm on Suffolk coast as the most northern extent) with decent storms in Kent and South Essex early hours Thursday morning only.

Matches last year for here at least although that doesn't take much beating, will we ever see the likes of more Northerly trajectories that engulf much more of the country or were we just extremely unlucky?

It's certainly a worrying trend. The last plume I remember that wasn't just a Kent Clipper was the July '19 one, which initially looked like a south west event, but plenty of us saw storms. Surely we can't go two summers without seeing that style of plume?

• Like 2

Posted

This country is a joke. Europe always gets the cream and we get the dregs 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Has anyone been able to narrow it down yet?

• Why in the 90s/00s we got massive imported MCSs
  • Why in the 10s/20s we get forecast massive imported MCSs and get a damp squib?

Is it the high pressure systems, the average wind components, the temperature differential or the AO/NAO?  Surely someone's looked through the data and found a common denominator?

• Like 1

Posted

Could be interested if those 3 weather systems near Brest, angers and nantes collide. Could throw up a supercell.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

• Why in the 10s/20s we get forecast massive imported MCSs and get a damp squib?

Is it the high pressure systems, the average wind components, the temperature differential or the AO/NAO?  Surely someone's looked through the data and found a common denominator?

I genuinely believe it could be capping issues and possible higher geopotential heights at 500hpa. Cooler air aloft back then due to a less warmed planet perhaps? Plus a reduction in local moisture output from industries/cooling towers etc. Just a theory of course. I wouldn’t mind seeing a detailed case study at some point though, as something over the years has definitely radically changed. 

• Like 3

Posted

Well, that’s that plume done with now. However, it is only June, and there should be more opportunities yet this summer I’m confident of it. July and August have always been the stellar months. We will get our turn. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
1 hour ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I think plumes tend to come in batches.  13-17 were great years, 07-12 very poor, 05/06 were good, 02/03 not so good.  I think were just in a rut at the moment.  We might not get lucky this year, or even next year, but sooner or later it will pick up.  Even the 90s were hit and miss.  (I don't remember a decent storm from a plume in the glorious summer of 95 for example)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I’m not sure how the phasing of AO/NAO works but it seems to be two-fold. 

1 - The cut off lows are forming closer to the Uk opposed to centred in the Bay of Biscay, that BoB centring means we’d draw a more southerly or south easterly plume pushing them further west? Currently all the plumes seems to have more of a SW-NE element? 

2 - Seems like lots of hot spells are more regularly broken down by whimpering troughs from the north west slowly modifying the atmosphere completely removing the plume scenarios. 

Posted

I'm very interested in hearing about the 1990's and 2000's thanks for this fantastic post. Great reading

• Like 4

Posted

In the early hours of 1st June 1983, there were notable thunderstorms imported from France in the south of England, with particularly active cells at 1am and 3am. I was camping in Hampshire at the time and recall an interesting if sleepless night! These storms were described recently on another thread.  

• Like 3

Posted
17 hours ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I think somebody posted about this last year and in fact there has been very little change in the incidence of MCS's in the UK - I'll see if I can find it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
52 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

In the early hours of 1st June 1983, there were notable thunderstorms imported from France in the south of England, with particularly active cells at 1am and 3am. I was camping in Hampshire at the time and recall an interesting if sleepless night! These storms were described recently on another thread.  

Yes I remember that, was on a school trip camping in ashdown forest, what a night.

• Like 2