Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
38 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

In other news

What is going on with that forecast and that forecast below it which was issued an hour ago seems to say that the Storms will be quite strong whereas I don't feel confident until later on today. 

Screenshot_20210618_064520_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.1a1a86063ad513ebf505eb4205a098ea.jpgScreenshot_20210618_064528_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.bd25862257ecabf119dd51cb7b38a92e.jpgScreenshot_20210618_064631.thumb.jpg.e7d81d5ce3ff69aa389ec3aa18d0c74d.jpg

"Lightening"? 

Good old BBC lol

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Morning all. Looks like there’s a storm that’s headed up through Past Paris, Picardy, into Nord Pas De Calais. It may just clip Kent and head up past East Anglia. Hoping some more get building. Luckily some energy may have been reserved, as storms were not as widespread on the continent as first thought. 

Either way, some huge rainfall totals are going to fall today in some areas. Take care. 

Yep spotted it, the one time I would prefer it not to hit, do it probably will. I'm going to be walking my son to school in an hour, not ideal, I don't go out in thunderstorms, and he's scared of them. When I'm out doors without shelter on top of a down, so  am I.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Seem to have time travelled back to either early spring or forward into November; dull, damp and drizzly with the standard NE'ly.  Storms? You're having a laugh....

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Seem to have time travelled back to either early spring or forward into November; dull, damp and drizzly with the standard NE'ly.  Storms? You're having a laugh....

Totally. And it's not much better here in Kent South East 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
Just now, Norfolk Sheep said:

6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep spotted it, the one time I would prefer it not to hit, do it probably will. I'm going to be walking my son to school in an hour, not ideal, I don't go out in thunderstorms, and he's scared of them. When I'm out doors without shelter on top of a down, so  am I.

Think it may be heading more Northerly now Alexis, so it may just be heavy rain. Could be more opportunities today.

Yep, got that crud Northeasterly here too Norfolk. Always seems to ruin any kind of fun weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

There is one about to hit Calais, just hoping it does not hop over.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
Just now, PiscesStar said:

Best free radar for lightning and storms please guys? 

380radar2.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Live weather radar for the UK including weather type to track whether rain, sleet or snow is falling. Updated every 5 minutes.
WWW.LIGHTNINGMAPS.ORG

See lightning strikes in real time across the planet. Free access to maps of former thunderstorms. By Blitzortung.org and contributors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

@staplehurst forecast of yesterday evening seems bang on the money today. WRF-NMM highlighting a slither of CAPE running up E Kent and far E Essex today.

Outside of this I’m seeing no CAPE for the rest of this week. I think the Met Office is considerably overhyping the thunder risk and other outlets are following suit.

Even tomorrow which I have some hopes for (if and only if the modelled CAPE shifts further north) is unlikely to produce any thunder - even though we may get rainy remnants from storms over France.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PiscesStar said:

Totally. And it's not much better here in Kent South East 

Same in Bournemouth, it’s just a rank morning.

Posted

Yh this is a grim day. The heat and humidity is about 100 miles to our east now and we are on the cold side of the warm front (eg any Storms will be elevated) some day in store for NW Germany Holland and parts of Belgium though with a set up more akin to the Plains. Any storm there that rides the warm front could produce a strong Tornado today. 

Tomorrow night looking meh atm as well hoping that might change for the better though not holding out much hope 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh this is a grim day. The heat and humidity is about 100 miles to our east now and we are on the cold side of the warm front (eg any Storms will be elevated) some day in store for NW Germany Holland and parts of Belgium though with a set up more akin to the Plains. Any storm there that rides the warm front could produce a strong Tornado today. 

Tomorrow night looking meh atm as well hoping that might change for the better though not holding out much hope 

Models all over the shop too for tomorrow night in terms of timing and areas affected. After Wednesday I'm finding it hard to know which of them to trust.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Has it even stopped raining since yesterday? Can’t believe it’s still going now (and looks like it’ll rain all day). Feel there’s zero hope of any convective fun for me today 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
33 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Normally I'd be on a plane to Holland this morning. 

Typical.

Posted
2 hours ago, Dorset_Weather said:

Here's something I thought you might enjoy whilst not a lot is going on.

FB.WATCH

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

Now that IS impressive!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Purplepixii said:

Has it even stopped raining since yesterday? Can’t believe it’s still going now (and looks like it’ll rain all day). Feel there’s zero hope of any convective fun for me today 

No it didn't if you turn back the radar. It's been raining for 18 hours straight now ...!

• Like 3

Posted

Home now, Calais north sea storm can do what it wants. Soaked now though.

• Like 2

Posted

Lightning over NE Kent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Morning all,

Heavy rain in W.Sussex this morning, although it has temporarily stopped. 

Really looking forward to the lack of thunder today!  

• Like 1

Posted

The situation with this band of rain seems to be changing some what now, the bulk of the crud is pushing on north  with the a lot of intense showers being left behind and building quickly.  Direction appears to be north and north west, will be interesting if the yellow warning for thunderstorms where justified or not.

Do not have much hope for it all but again we watch.

To add, I have witnessed days like this in years gone by where most of the early day was plagued by relentless rain and then for their to be brief clear spell in afternoon and I mean very brief for then to be followed by thunderstorms in the latter part of day.

Edited by Petorious
To add
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

I gotta ask, would it not be more responsible for the Met Office to replace the thunderstorm warnings with rainfall warnings? The rate this stuff is falling, and the time it’s taking too, must be causing more issues than the (low) possibility of a thunderstorm?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, PiscesStar said:

Best free radar for lightning and storms please guys? 

Blitzortung for me. Shows rates, hits per 10km for example, colours to help identify which way it is heading etc. Free app, no ads, covers all of Europe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
36 minutes ago, Petorious said:

The situation with this band of rain seems to be changing some what now, the bulk of the crud is pushing on north  with the a lot of intense showers being left behind and building quickly.  Direction appears to be north and north west, will be interesting if the yellow warning for thunderstorms where justified or not.

Do not have much hope for it all but again we watch.

To add, I have witnessed days like this in years gone by where most of the early day was plagued by relentless rain and then for their to be brief clear spell in afternoon and I mean very brief for then to be followed by thunderstorms in the latter part of day.

This is a very common occurrence for the UK, suppressed morning temperatures because of imported cloud from continental storms, then finally a respite mid afternoon leading to surface-based heavy showers and storms. Unfortunately the cloud in the morning nearly always cuts off any chance of things becoming particularly severe in more southern areas.

its all about being perfectly in the wrong place, at nearly all times, lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1