Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I spent all night in Kent last night. On the way home the tiredness took over and so rather than risk the long drive home I got myself a hotel room for the day near to the M11/M25 junction. Thus I was in position for if anything fired this afternoon. It was a big "if" though and I think the cloud cover prevented the cap breaking. Despite the fact its like a sauna with all the humidity.

My next chase opportunity will be the weekend and so have my eyes on Saturday night/Sunday 

Love the dedication from you mate. I was feeling so bad and tense as soon as you said you had missed the Kent storms as you arrived in Gravesend. I’ve chased before and was dealt a bust too, down Essex way, so I know how frustrating it feels! Glad something secondary at least fired up for you. Good luck over the next few days. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mitch the motorbike storm said:

Anything happening tonight in South east? Nothing seems to be forming yet ;-;, sky is darkening though 

if anything it will be around the same time as last night

Posted

Convergence seems to be activating

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some heavy precipitation starting to develop quite quickly around here - and it’s turned increasingly dark all of a sudden. The area of showery rain is moving north yet low level clouds overhead are moving south - CZ setting maybe? 

Posted

We got rain in Birmingham last night, so I was happy. Tomorrow I have a tooth extraction at 5pm, so if I get a clap of thunder as the bugger comes out, I'll be well impressed  Otherwise I'm just rolling with whatever happens over the next few days, and see if I get lucky.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Love the dedication from you mate. I was feeling so bad and tense as soon as you said you had missed the Kent storms as you arrived in Gravesend. I’ve chased before and was dealt a bust too, down Essex way, so I know how frustrating it feels! Glad something secondary at least fired up for you. Good luck over the next few days. 

Thanks mate. I do plough some money into this hobby and sometimes it pays off, others it doesn't. The downside of last night was how fast the storms were moving and the amount of rain. It made getting ahead of them and filming outside the car very difficult. I prefer it when I can be outside for a bit of it. However, the storms were quite the beasts so I expect I still got some decent footage. 

Good luck to you too.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Harry said:

Some heavy precipitation starting to develop quite quickly around here - and it’s turned increasingly dark all of a sudden. The area of showery rain is moving north yet low level clouds overhead are moving south - CZ setting maybe? 

Last night was a good stork except I was riding my motorbike all through it chasing it something in the rain made my eyes sting, what's a cz and I reckon today could be severe if this heat keeps increasing out of nowhere 

Posted
Just now, Mitch the motorbike storm said:

Last night was a good stork except I was riding my motorbike all through it chasing it something in the rain made my eyes sting, what's a cz and I reckon today could be severe if this heat keeps increasing out of nowhere 

CZ is a convergence zone - where air moving in different directions near the surface collides and is forced upwards to generate clouds/rain.

Posted
Just now, Harry said:

CZ is a convergence zone - where air moving in different directions near the surface collides and is forced upwards to generate clouds/rain.

Do you reckon I'm in a good spot if so I'll get my motorbike out again 

Posted

12z Herstmonceux sounding highlights just how saturated the lowest ~1.5km is, with some modest surface heating this is aiding lots of 'tropical downpours' that are capped around 850mb. Ideally need surface temperatures nearer 25C to be able to punch through this cap and therefore utilise substantial CAPE. However, fairly extensive cloud is limiting the degree of heating so far to nearer 20C. Profile also highlights some medium-level instability, so it is an interesting combination of both shallow surface-based showers (Kent/Surrey) and bits of showery rain emanating from medium-level cloud (e.g. Hampshire).

The 06z AROME suggests the chance of some heavier/deeper showers in the next few hours from Hampshire through Surrey to London and Essex, seemingly tied to a shortwave currently moving into central southern England. I think overall though the risk of anything substantial developing is rather low, but non-zero. Otherwise, towards the end of the night parts of east Kent could see some continental exports drifting up from the south/southeast, but questionable as to how much lightning activity may reach this far.

3882_1_2106171106.png

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Posted
40 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Tomorrrow afternoon/evening looks deadly in terms of how heavy and torrential the rain looks for the midlands on ukv 12z!!!

Got any charts for this by any chance? 

• Thanks 1

Posted

What are the chances for fri if any? Get the impression that all the hype didn't go exactly to plan. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Here you go buddy

just go to the drop down and pick PPN rate and scroll through the timeline.

Screenshot%202021-06-10%2009_26_51.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Edit:i see Paul has put the link up^

Edited by Allseasons-si
Typo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

After a rather overcast day, the sun is now breaking through and it looks dark to the West, which would tally up with the CZ mentioned in previous posts

Posted
10 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Was gona send you the link but i see my buddys below have sent you the link already!!!it really is looking terrible tomorrow if your located in the midlands!!but we know how poor ukv has performed!!so dont believe it yet!!!!

• Like 3

Posted

Based on the UKV i'm tempted to head out in the car to 'base' somewhere around Newark-on-Trent which is only 2hr away, but as seen last night what the model-runs are predicting and what happens in reality can be two different things entirely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Very Intense echo has just developed close to my west, unfortunately it is incredibly cloudy so no visual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
7 minutes ago, Mitch the motorbike storm said:

Something forming dover way 

16239450664907483002928138968146.jpg

I'll take your word for it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder

Just came out of the gym and into some heavy rain that's extremely warm and it is so muggy even with this rain. Feels nasty with a headache forming. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Raining here now, the only difference between this pathetic drab in Autumn and today, is the temperature and humidity!