Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 16th June 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Brest peninsula has kicked things off. Not a bad place to start. Pretty far west. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, lightning and erm thunder
31 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Yep, this one sprung to my mind quite quickly! Not sure it’ll be as amazing as that one was, but one can dream! 

Alternatively, a June 22nd-23rd 2016 redux would be even better! 

Anything would be nice!

• Like 2

I just wonder whether we might see a few early thundery showers kick off from this year. Satellite does show cooling cloud tops in this area. 

910755330_Screenshot2021-06-16133708.thumb.png.f1d7ede94914d335e1fcca4771fdd4de.png

Posted
12 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Brest peninsula has kicked things off. Not a bad place to start. Pretty far west. 

Yup noticed this 30 mins ago on sat24!!lovely little cumulonimbus cloud popped out of no where like a popcorn!!!!and as you say pretty far west!!

• Like 1

Posted

a little storm has started in Brest peninsula which seems to be heading NNE. Very early to tell yet but this seems a lot further west than anticipated. Not sure if this is the start of the main activity or if this is just a isolated storm and the main stuff will break out further east later. Interesting to see what will happen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Azuremoon2 said:

a little storm has started in Brest peninsula which seems to be heading NNE. Very early to tell yet but this seems a lot further west than anticipated. Not sure if this is the start of the main activity or if this is just a isolated storm and the main stuff will break out further east later. Interesting to see what will happen.

South west might still have a chance then

Posted
Just now, Liam Burge said:

maybe thats a bit too far west...thinking more CS England and Midlands maybe..although looking at the radar looks to be moving more east as it goes...so yes everything ok defintely looks like its veering to the east. We will see where it breaks out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
4 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Not confident for the SW.

Upper air flow is generally expected to be NNE at best, perhaps more NE or ENE even.  This would suggest any storm activity that initiates over Brittany etc would head up towards east Dorset and/or Hampshire area.

Previous experiences of how these things unfold tend to leave me rather underwhelmed for my/our location personally, especially as work commitments prevent me from travelling anywhere.

I'm in Ipswich next week.  Now that would have been an ideal location if the activity could wait until then. 

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Here we go! The sky is filling with Floccus and mid-level towers already! Just what I like to see

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
25 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

The problem is that new cells will develop on the eastern flank of the previous cell. 

This makes the sferics creep east ahead of the perceived flow, unless some discreet cells erupt locally...

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Here we go! The sky is filling with Floccus and mid-level towers already! Just what I like to see

Really decent cumulus field here in Essex this afternoon must admit was not expecting that at all

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, Sprites said:

The problem is that new cells will develop on the eastern flank of the previous cell. 

This makes the sferics creep east ahead of the perceived flow, unless some discreet cells erupt locally...

Yep that is usually the problem. Although I was thinking I would be seeing cells erupting initially around the Channel Islands/Cherbourg area, so it is a bonus that there is instability backed even further west than that. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Here goes Cherbourg, just worried this is too early and storms will be surface based and mix out things a bit! 

I share your concerns. On the flip side, UKV has been developing those early storms and they're well out of the way/have little effect on further initiation later in the evening if it's to be believed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Here goes Cherbourg, just worried this is too early and storms will be surface based and mix out things a bit! 

It's fairly optimal timing. With the current timing, the maturing development phases will be 6-8pm over the southern Channel with 1000-2000 of elevated CAPE. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Really decent cumulus field here in Essex this afternoon must admit was not expecting that at all

Same here, Paul.

Just off 29C here and humidity continuing to climb here too.

635A9DEE-9CA4-447B-9828-8C10CE49FE0B.jpeg

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Annoying I have a dinner reservations with the misses at 7.30  

Skip the starters/desserts. Out by 20.45

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
27 minutes ago, AWD said:

Not confident for the SW.

Upper air flow is generally expected to be NNE at best, perhaps more NE or ENE even.  This would suggest any storm activity that initiates over Brittany etc would head up towards east Dorset and/or Hampshire area.

Previous experiences of how these things unfold tend to leave me rather underwhelmed for my/our location personally, especially as work commitments prevent me from travelling anywhere.

I'm in Ipswich next week.  Now that would have been an ideal location if the activity could wait until then. 

Aww that's sad. Was really hoping for something.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

A mixture of cirrus and spotty cumulus here, humidity is tangibly increasing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I suspect my lightning detector will pick up sferics when they get into the channel. It seems to enhance the distance that I am able to detect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Annoying I have a dinner reservations with the misses at 7.30  

Don't you have a real, proper date with mother nature this evening? Priorities, n all.  

• Like 4