Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

No storms club 2021.

Dami

Posted

Only one distant rumble of thunder since August 2020 where I am despite having 22 thunderstorm warnings this summer. What tends to happen is they start as light rain showers over us, move away to Lincolnshire and then become big storms. Or they fizzle out before they reach us or divert around us up towards Manchester. Had 3 seperate days this summer where at one point we had storms 20 miles to the north, east, south and west and still managed to avoid them all. 

Really frustrating when last summer we had a storm every night for a week including a massive supercell overnight on the 12th August. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 28/07/2021 at 21:54, Freeze said:

What a boring place the no storms club is, technically I had a storm overnight on the 23/24th but I was asleep and missed it does that count? Its annoying that the only storms in the area that I live happen at silly hours in the middle of the night and are 99% elevated. 

If you slept through it, it kind of counts. That happened to me only once back in July 2009, when I was sleeping around this American girls flat, just literally down the road from where I was living with my uncle and grandmother.

It was during that damp thundery July, and London had a few thunderstorms, but I don’t remember any overnight ones. According to my folks, they said there was a bad one around 4am, but I slept right through it, and that’s a rare thing for me. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

If you slept through it, it kind of counts. That happened to me only once back in July 2009, when I was sleeping around this American girls flat, just literally down the road from where I was living with my uncle and grandmother.

It was during that damp thundery July, and London had a few thunderstorms, but I don’t remember any overnight ones. According to my folks, they said there was a bad one around 4am, but I slept right through it, and that’s a rare thing for me. 

I suppose it counts but Im still yet to actually witness a storm, or even here thunder.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

Anyone else still in the No Storms club? I've had no overhead storm or have seen a single lightning this year... I have spent time in north west Wales and south east Wales. I'm not really sure if I'll see any this week either!

Posted

Yes, I'm still with you in S Cheshire (also part time in N Yorkshire). I'm rather hoping I won't have to resign tomorrow as Mrs FLT and I are travelling south to Winchester and then on to Southampton for a short cruise, and the last time we did that, it was Sept 2016, and following a v hot day, the heavens opened and we were kept awake most of the night with thunder and lightning. Hopefully no similar problems this time! 

Edited by A Face like Thunder

Posted

23 seperate thunderstorm warnings for my town this year........and only ONE distant rumble of thunder has actually happened. I never get excited when there are weather warnings out, they are complete rubbish and always wrong. Ive cancelled plans before because of severe weather warnings and its turned out to be a beautiful day with wall to wall hot sun. Doubt we will see anything again tonight or tomorrow, the south will as they always do

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

High Wycombe update = still no rumbles of thunder even and now in October. This is very likely to be the first year without even a rumble let alone a storm. No torrential downpours either - usually dissipate whenever they appear close.  I really dont know why we just dont seem to get storms here any year. In the past I have viewed supercells in the distance - the famous chorleywood storms of 1992 and 1997 which almost destroyed the town and bracknell in 2000. We didnt get a single drop in either. In fact i cant really say i have even witnessed a severe storm in my life. Best so far was July 2005 when we had 27ml fall in 75 minutes in a prolonged storm which thunder and lightening every 2 minutes or so. Worked in town and several pubs and shops got flooded but in the grand scheme of things it is still tinpot compared to many other places. Maybe 2022 will finally deliver the goods. Never give up no matter how much you may want to. 

• 2 months later...
Posted

Leaving aside Arwen and Barra (no fireworks), I retained my membership of the 'No Storms Club 2021' to the end. Looking at the forecast, I'm not sure that my membership of the 'No Storms Club 2022' is going to last more than a couple of days, but we shall see!

image.thumb.png.e895a45ed7b2e76c34a1cfc407e3b10b.png

Summary of thunder days for 2021, courtesy of Convective Weather. Some just need to keep their ears open a bit more I think, or at the very least count distant thunder as a storm hear rather than wishing for overhead action which is far more rare That being said, if you're up in North Scotland I feel for ya! (hopefully the snow makes up for it  ) 

WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

Posted

Thanks for this interesting info Steel City Skies. I think I may just be in a yellow zone here in Cheshire rather than the darker zones further north towards Manchester and Lancashire, which is perhaps understandable. However I can honestly say that I did not hear even a distant rumble of thunder here in 2021, nor in N Yorkshire where we spent a pleasant few weeks during the summer and autumn. Indeed, the last storm of any note that I can remember was a classic on the N Yorkshire coast on 2nd April 2018. I may just have been unlucky and I do like seeing storms when they occur, and maybe 2022 will produce something for me to enjoy, only don't let me be out on the N Yorkshire Moors when it happens!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Lincoln the hotspot, not a surprise as its on average one of the thunderiest places in the UK I think.

• Like 1