Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest monthly peaks for the Summer months

Posted

My disgust for the Hellish Season is in prime shape, so I'm wondering - on average, what were the all-round coldest average monthly temperatures for a June, July, August and September in the Midlands, if anyone knows? Say the average for June 1945 was 19 degrees, for July 1952 it was 17 degrees and so on in random Summer months.

I swear it wasn't as toasty as the devil's barbecue before 2017. The subsequent Summers have been as if a forgetful schizophrenic deity has control of a UK-wide thermostat! 

Posted

Here are the coldest months. July 1922 sounds very similar to the April just gone - dry, sunny but cold at night.

June 11.8 (1909, 1916, 1972)

"1909: a very dull month, with no sunshine at all in London from the 2-6th. A maximum of only 10C in Oxford and Bath on the 6th. More outstandingly cold, wet dull weather from the 10-12th, and 20-28th."

July 13.7 (1922)

"The early heatwave ended on the 1st. Generally a dry, sunny month, but with cooler, unsettled spells 14-15th, and from the 24th on. The temperature at Kew was 76F on the 12th but only 53F on the 14th. Only half an inch of rain fell at Shrewsbury all month."

August 12.9 (1912)

"The wettest (average 183 mm, 231%), dullest, and the coldest (12.9C CET) of the century. This is the only month which holds all three worst records, so it is without doubt the worst summer month on record. London only had one day over 21C, but Birmingham and Manchester had nothing higher than 19C."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Yes august 1912 looking at the stats looks atrocious (or paradise if you like cool, wet weather).  It makes recent poor August's like 08,10 and 14 look awesome in comparison.

June 1972 looks pretty pants as well.

July 1988, for maxima, also appears to have been terrible (I don't think London exceeded 22 all month).

Imagine a summer of June 1972, July 1988 and August 1912..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 12/06/2021 at 00:04, SummerShower said:

Yes august 1912 looking at the stats looks atrocious (or paradise if you like cool, wet weather).  It makes recent poor August's like 08,10 and 14 look awesome in comparison.

June 1972 looks pretty pants as well.

July 1988, for maxima, also appears to have been terrible (I don't think London exceeded 22 all month).

yep remember it well.. July 1988 was a stinker wettest July of the 20th century i think 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Yes July 1988 was just ruddy awful- in the run of poor summers from 1986-1988. Thank goodness 1989 was a (forgotten) classic. 

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & fairly cloudy in Summer, cold and dry in Winter
On 12/06/2021 at 07:04, SummerShower said:

Conversely, imagine a summer of June 2018, July 2018 and August 2019 ☀️