Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

May 2021 Stats


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Barton on Sea, Hampshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
  • Location: Barton on Sea, Hampshire

    May 2021 Barton on Sea, Hampshire

    Temperature

    Max Temp: 23.1°C (31st)

    Min Temp: 0.8°C (6th)

    Mean Max: 14.7°C

    Mean Min: 7.2°C

    Air Frosts: 0

    Rainfall

    Total: 81.8mm

    Wettest Day: 22.2mm (23rd)

    Max Rain Rate: 95.2mm/hr (23rd)

    Pressure

    Highest: 1027.5 hPa (30th)

    Lowest: 994.3 hPa (16th)

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
    Posted (edited)

    A very poor month. A shocker in fact, especially after all the warm dry mays we’ve had in recent years. Bet the sunshine stats are really bad as well. At least it’s ended on a good note.

    Edited by East Lancs Rain
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London

    London in 2021 vs the LTA. May was almost 2c below average, with 184% of average rainfall and 72% of average sunshine.

    2021

    Sj7ge4u.png

     

    91-20 LTA

    ZEeSA1D.png

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snow
  • Location: Tamworth, Staffordshire

    May 2021: Tamworth, Staffordshire

    Temperature

    Max Temp: 24.4c (31st)

    Min Temp: 0.7c (2nd)

    Highest Min: 13.2c (29th)

    Lowest Max: 9.5c (3rd)

    Mean Max: 15.6c

    Mean Min: 6.6c

    Mean: 10.6c

    Rainfall

    Total: 90.9mm

    Wettest Day: 19.1mm (8th)

    Rain Days: 24

    Other Stats

    Frosts: 0

    Ice Days: 0

    Snow Falling: 0

    Snow Lying: 0

    Max Snow Depth: 0

    Thunder Days: 3

    Wind Gust Max: 52mph (3rd)

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

    Sunny Sheffield

    Average temperature 10C. Average High Temperature 14.4, Average Low 5.6C Difference from average 2C. Coldest May since 1996.

    Rainfall 129.1mm 216.6% of the monthly average.

    Average Wind Speed 3.8mph, Average Gust 22.3mph Highest gust 46mph on the 3rd

    Spring as a whole

    Average temp 7.9C, Average High Temperature 12.2C, Average Low temperature 3.4C coldest since 1996

    Rainfall 198.9mm 112.8% of the Spring average

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Perth, Scotland
  • Location: Perth, Scotland

    Perth, Scotland 

     

    Overall a cold, very wet and dull month, coldest, wettest and dullest May in my records which go back 27 years. The month was generally cold and unsettled throughout with only brief settled spells and it took until the very late date of the 29th to finally exceed 20.C. By far the latest on record. The lowest maximum was also a record 

     

    Stats

    Mean maximum: 14.0.C (-1.5.C)

    Mean minimum: 5.3.C (-0.9.C)

    Mean: 9.7.C (-1.2.C)

    Rainfall: 114mm (215%)

    Sunshine: 132 hours (69%)

     

    Extremes

    Highest maximum: 22.1.C (30th)

    Highest minimum: 11.3.C (31st)

    Lowest maximum: 5.8.C (3rd)

    Lowest minimum: -1.1.C (1st)

    Wettest day: 3rd (15.2mm)

    Sunniest day: 30th (15.7 hours)

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England

    Funny how we’ve gone from one of the warmest driest and sunniest Mays on record last year to one of the coldest, wettest and dullest Mays on record this year, talk about one extreme to the other.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
    11 hours ago, B87 said:

    London in 2021 vs the LTA. May was almost 2c below average, with 184% of average rainfall and 72% of average sunshine.

    2021

    Sj7ge4u.png

     

    91-20 LTA

    ZEeSA1D.png

     

    Bar the number of rainy days, that would be considered as a pretty average May up here (in fact, still a little bit above average, as my average May high is around 15.5°C).

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    Posted (edited)
    3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

    Bar the number of rainy days, that would be considered as a pretty average May up here (in fact, still a little bit above average, as my average May high is around 15.5°C).

    I thought May was one of the better months in the NW? In the south, July and August are sunnier than May.

    Edited by B87
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
    14 hours ago, B87 said:I thought May was one of the better months in the NW? In the south, July and August are sunnier than May.

    It is! By our standards… Just checked the stats for Rochdale (just down the road from me) and average May high for me is approx 15°C and average low is approximately  7°C. Sunshine is 170 hours on average and rain 63 mm with 11 rainy days so on average my May weather (in terms of sunshine and rainfall anyway) is still a bit better than the May weather you experienced in London, though a bit cooler in terms of temperatures . May is the sunniest month on average here by a whisker, with July averaging 168 hrs. It's also the driest month too.

     

    We have experienced a lot of good Mays in recent years thoguh and May 2018 had an average high of 18.5°C here. This May will be much colder though probably only around 13/14°C.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks

    5-Weather summary for May at Cantley

    A very wet and cold month overall. Offset just a little by 3 dry and warm days at the end. Even then plagued with N Sea stratus each morning.

    Max=23.7 on the 31 st; the coldest day 10.3 on 3rd.

    Min=1.4 overnight of 6 th; the warmest night was 9 th with 11.4

    Mean=11.1 (13.1), so 2.0 C below average

    Rainfall 105.8 mm, the highest for May in 21 years of stats. Most rain fell on the 8 th with 18.8; there were 19 days with 0.2 or more and 16 with 1.0 or more; Only 7 days had no rainfall at all.

    One evening with a thunderstorm, no snow, fog or hail; no air frost but 3 ground frosts, not unusual in May.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    21 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

    It is! By our standards… Just checked the stats for Rochdale (just down the road from me) and average May high for me is approx 15°C and average low is approximately  7°C. Sunshine is 170 hours on average and rain 63 mm with 11 rainy days so on average my May weather (in terms of sunshine and rainfall anyway) is still a bit better than the May weather you experienced in London, though a bit cooler in terms of temperatures . May is the sunniest month on average here by a whisker, with July averaging 168 hrs. It's also the driest month too.

     

    We have experienced a lot of good Mays in recent years thoguh and May 2018 had an average high of 18.5°C here. This May will be much colder though probably only around 13/14°C.

    What was the warmest May up there? The 1991-2020 average for May here is 18.4c and the warmest was 1992 with 21.0/10.2c (2018 had the warmest avg max with 21.1c).

    May 2021 was Heathrow's 5th dullest May on record.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
    Posted (edited)
    1 hour ago, B87 said:

    What was the warmest May up there? The 1991-2020 average for May here is 18.4c and the warmest was 1992 with 21.0/10.2c (2018 had the warmest avg max with 21.1c).

    May 2021 was Heathrow's 5th dullest May on record.

     Looking through local stats, May 2018 is the warmest I can find in recent years with 18.5/8.9. So my warmest May is the same as your average! The mean max was 3.2°C above the 30 year average!  It was also the sunniest May on record as well with 260 hours, sunnier than any summer month in recent years here (although June 2018 was very close at 258). It was also a very dry with only 0.99 inches (approx 25 mm) of rainfall, only a third of the average. Here's  what Mr Chatham (who has now sadly passed away) had to say about May 2018:

    Quote

    "Very dry with temperatures way above normal and above average sunshine.
    The sunniest May on record, the second warmest on record and the driest since 2010."

    WWW.ROYCHETHAM.CO.UK

    Walking with Groups in NW England, The Huncoat Trail and the history and weather records of Huncoat in Lancashire.

    EDIT:  actually July 2006 was the sunniest month on record here with 294 hours. 

    Edited by East Lancs Rain
    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hobart, Tasmania
  • Location: Hobart, Tasmania

    1606261236_May2021daily.thumb.png.eea36dc960be7a45237ca1e98c578222.png

    May - Hobart, Tasmania

    Very dry. A mean temperature anomaly of +0.3c above 1991-2020 or +0.8c above 1961-90 period.

    Mean maximum:   15.7 ( +0.5 )

    Mean minimum:  7.8  ( +0.1 )

    Rainfall:   17mm ( average 47mm )

    Rain days ( +1mm ) :  4/from total 9

    A very dry end to autumn with high pressure dominating across southern Australia and pressure building quickly behind occasional fronts. The coldest days were mostly dry. There were brief windows for settled snow on the mountain behind the city but totals were low.  A dusting to near 700m into the 15th, a light covering to 700m on the 17th and a more modest fall to near 600m into the 28th. The snow stuck around the summit ( near 1200m ) until the end of the month after the last fall, with low overnight temperatures. The wettest day in the city was 4mm into the 3rd, 17th and into the 28th. The Tasmania minimum this month was -7.0c

    Extremes in daily temperature for May ( records since 1882 ) :

    High max:   23.2.....1st  ( record 25.7 in 1997 )

    Low max:   10.6.....28th  ( record 6.1 in 1921 )

    High min:   13.4.....20th  ( record 16.2 in 2005 )

    Low min:   2.4.....31st  ( record -1.6 in 1902 )

     

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
    10 hours ago, Styx said:

    1606261236_May2021daily.thumb.png.eea36dc960be7a45237ca1e98c578222.png

    May - Hobart, Tasmania

    Very dry. A mean temperature anomaly of +0.3c above 1991-2020 or +0.8c above 1961-90 period.

    Mean maximum:   15.7 ( +0.5 )

    Mean minimum:  7.8  ( +0.1 )

    Rainfall:   17mm ( average 47mm )

    Rain days ( +1mm ) :  4/from total 9

    A very dry end to autumn with high pressure dominating across southern Australia and pressure building quickly behind occasional fronts. The coldest days were mostly dry. There were brief windows for settled snow on the mountain behind the city but totals were low.  A dusting to near 700m into the 15th, a light covering to 700m on the 17th and a more modest fall to near 600m into the 28th. The snow stuck around the summit ( near 1200m ) until the end of the month after the last fall, with low overnight temperatures. The wettest day in the city was 4mm into the 3rd, 17th and into the 28th. The Tasmania minimum this month was -7.0c

    Extremes in daily temperature for May ( records since 1882 ) :

    High max:   23.2.....1st  ( record 25.7 in 1997 )

    Low max:   10.6.....28th  ( record 6.1 in 1921 )

    High min:   13.4.....20th  ( record 16.2 in 2005 )

    Low min:   2.4.....31st  ( record -1.6 in 1902 )

     

    Nice to see an Aussie on the forum! As your in Southern Hemisphere then your May is the equivalent to our November. Much warmer than our November though, your May averages are almost identical to May here!

     

    I actually like the climate of Tasmania as it's a maritime climate like ours, so you don't get the excessive heat and sunshine that you get in most places in Austraillia, you get a nice mix of cloud, wind, rain and sun, with comfortable temperatures year round.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hobart, Tasmania
  • Location: Hobart, Tasmania
    10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

    Nice to see an Aussie on the forum! As your in Southern Hemisphere then your May is the equivalent to our November. Much warmer than our November though, your May averages are almost identical to May here!

     

    I actually like the climate of Tasmania as it's a maritime climate like ours, so you don't get the excessive heat and sunshine that you get in most places in Austraillia, you get a nice mix of cloud, wind, rain and sun, with comfortable temperatures year round.

    Thank you, spent several years living over there, regretfully never made it that far north. Tasmania's west would be quite comparable to your location temperature wise I suspect, except the winter season. Hobart ( in the south east ) is one of the warmer spots on the island. It's a shame we don't get 'proper' winters down here but Tasmania is quite mountainous; a few elevated settlements with the most basic services get winters with all day frost and occasional snow. My future dream is to move upward...

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • LIne convection and suspected Tornado damage for eastern England

      Quite a start to the working week with torrential rain, squally winds and possible tornado damage near Hull and near Grimsby. Tiles off, fences and walls damaged and a motorhome on its roof! Read more here

      Jo Farrow
      Jo Farrow
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Autumn arrives. A soggy start to the week with blustery downpours to follow

      Quite some rain for Monday morning. Vigorous line convection as a cold front heads east. Behind that, cooler air, blustery showers with some hefty downpours but brighter. Unsettled this week. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 1

      UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

      UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2021-09-27 07:07:33 Valid: 27/09/2021 0600 - 28/09/2021 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - MON 27 SEPT 2021 Click here for the full forecast

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 1
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...