Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

The very hot upper air temperatures of Sep. 1988


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: near Edenbridge - 178ft
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters and cool, wet springs and summers.
  • Location: near Edenbridge - 178ft

    Knew about this one for quite a while, but upper air temperatures during the 7th/8th of September, 1988 were exceptionally hot across Spain, France & the southern tip of the U.K. Here's a run through this very brief plume.

     

    High pressure begins to ridge in on the 5th

    image.thumb.png.dfe7e293aa27412f53fed05d39bf989f.png

    Becomes dominant into the 6th. Very summery chart after a very autumnal
    summer.

    image.thumb.png.9f7fcb106f219b84c194f8765afdff83.png

    The 7th/8th is the peak date when we bring 20/21 uppers on the south coast. 25-27 uppers across Spain & Portugal.

    image.thumb.png.2b461f25a80d0037730d71f95d3ffca6.pngimage.thumb.png.9c414aa098fe18b6c6e1001e18ec293a.pngimage.thumb.png.4290ec9a77d4bb582d0ef46d99bc6303.png

    All change soon after, chilly northerlies by the 12th. Overall, a run through the charts nakes it seem like quite a changeable month, but HP often close by in the first half. Colder later. Not bad.

    image.thumb.png.c2899e8f0b70d0203607a611d55e1d8a.png

     

    Interesting synoptic pattern. Does anyone remember this spell? Research shows no remarkably hot temperatures. Reminds me of Jun. 2019 when we had ridiculously hot uppers but only managed 34C. I remember talks of why that was but can't remember what it was 😄 Would be interesting to see temperature records across France, Spain & Portugal at the time as well. Unusual synoptics after such a bad summer, and even then, not had to their full potential. Share thoughts & memories below if you have any 😉 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
    On 13/05/2021 at 09:29, cheeky_monkey said:

    there was something about those summers that has never been seen again..they kicked off the rave scene..ecstacy became common place and the whole thing leaked into the mainstream for a cpl of years..even for me i went on a 10 day bender in September 1988 of which i remember very little ..to coin a phrase from the mid 90s..everybody was mad for it!

    i don't remember any hot weather in Sept 1988..then again my quote from another thread from the lounge explains why 😎

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam
    On 20/05/2021 at 20:50, LetItSnow! said:

    Knew about this one for quite a while, but upper air temperatures during the 7th/8th of September, 1988 were exceptionally hot across Spain, France & the southern tip of the U.K. Here's a run through this very brief plume.

     

    High pressure begins to ridge in on the 5th

    image.thumb.png.dfe7e293aa27412f53fed05d39bf989f.png

    Becomes dominant into the 6th. Very summery chart after a very autumnal
    summer.

    image.thumb.png.9f7fcb106f219b84c194f8765afdff83.png

    The 7th/8th is the peak date when we bring 20/21 uppers on the south coast. 25-27 uppers across Spain & Portugal.

    image.thumb.png.2b461f25a80d0037730d71f95d3ffca6.pngimage.thumb.png.9c414aa098fe18b6c6e1001e18ec293a.pngimage.thumb.png.4290ec9a77d4bb582d0ef46d99bc6303.png

    All change soon after, chilly northerlies by the 12th. Overall, a run through the charts nakes it seem like quite a changeable month, but HP often close by in the first half. Colder later. Not bad.

    image.thumb.png.c2899e8f0b70d0203607a611d55e1d8a.png

     

    Interesting synoptic pattern. Does anyone remember this spell? Research shows no remarkably hot temperatures. Reminds me of Jun. 2019 when we had ridiculously hot uppers but only managed 34C. I remember talks of why that was but can't remember what it was 😄 Would be interesting to see temperature records across France, Spain & Portugal at the time as well. Unusual synoptics after such a bad summer, and even then, not had to their full potential. Share thoughts & memories below if you have any 😉 

    I remember staying up quite late (I was at school next morning) watching the lightning flashing away to my west-northwest somewhere over the Irish Sea gradually getting closer. That was around the 7th/8th September 1988.

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Whitefield, Manchester @ 100m
  • Location: Whitefield, Manchester @ 100m
    On 20/05/2021 at 20:50, LetItSnow! said:

    Knew about this one for quite a while, but upper air temperatures during the 7th/8th of September, 1988 were exceptionally hot across Spain, France & the southern tip of the U.K. Here's a run through this very brief plume.

     

    High pressure begins to ridge in on the 5th

    image.thumb.png.dfe7e293aa27412f53fed05d39bf989f.png

    Becomes dominant into the 6th. Very summery chart after a very autumnal
    summer.

    image.thumb.png.9f7fcb106f219b84c194f8765afdff83.png

    The 7th/8th is the peak date when we bring 20/21 uppers on the south coast. 25-27 uppers across Spain & Portugal.

    image.thumb.png.2b461f25a80d0037730d71f95d3ffca6.pngimage.thumb.png.9c414aa098fe18b6c6e1001e18ec293a.pngimage.thumb.png.4290ec9a77d4bb582d0ef46d99bc6303.png

    All change soon after, chilly northerlies by the 12th. Overall, a run through the charts nakes it seem like quite a changeable month, but HP often close by in the first half. Colder later. Not bad.

    image.thumb.png.c2899e8f0b70d0203607a611d55e1d8a.png

     

    Interesting synoptic pattern. Does anyone remember this spell? Research shows no remarkably hot temperatures. Reminds me of Jun. 2019 when we had ridiculously hot uppers but only managed 34C. I remember talks of why that was but can't remember what it was 😄 Would be interesting to see temperature records across France, Spain & Portugal at the time as well. Unusual synoptics after such a bad summer, and even then, not had to their full potential. Share thoughts & memories below if you have any 😉 

    I think there was a layer of cool air below 850 metres that was imported along with the plume.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: near Edenbridge - 178ft
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters and cool, wet springs and summers.
  • Location: near Edenbridge - 178ft
    11 hours ago, Alexis said:

    I think there was a layer of cool air below 850 metres that was imported along with the plume.

    Sounds about right.

     

    A quick search for temperatures during this spell across Spain/Portugal indeed suggest temperatures were into the upper-thirties, even low-forties. I imagine that must be close to a record at least for September.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rossland BC Canada
  • Location: Rossland BC Canada

    The summer of 1988 was very hot in eastern North America, often near if not setting daily records. I recall that July 1988 was quite a chilly month in England (visited that summer). We got on the plane in mid-90s heat in Toronto and got off at Gatwick around 60 F, bit of a shock to the system. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: near Edenbridge - 178ft
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters and cool, wet springs and summers.
  • Location: near Edenbridge - 178ft
    10 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

    The summer of 1988 was very hot in eastern North America, often near if not setting daily records. I recall that July 1988 was quite a chilly month in England (visited that summer). We got on the plane in mid-90s heat in Toronto and got off at Gatwick around 60 F, bit of a shock to the system. 

    Indeed. Many parts of the country failed to exceed 70F in Jul. 1988.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rossland BC Canada
  • Location: Rossland BC Canada

    Very high thicknesses and upper temps sometimes have a less than spectacular effect near the surface because the cap remains in place. A certain amount of inversion remains in place, at least in terms of potential temperature, the air mass remains stable, and another consequence is limiting the outbreak of thunderstorms. All this leads to a lack of full mixing down of the potentially warm air (which would heat up to near record values) so while it may get quite warm the results don't quite match the potential. 

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...