Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Environment and what the Government should be doing now as we come out of lockdown

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Giving companies tax breaks to employ people locally.

Companies hit by larger taxes for employers they employ who have to commute.

Companies also given tax incentives to encourage working from home either hybrid or full working from home.

Encourage people to walk to work where possible as this is the most environmental way of getting to work.

Discourage the use of electric bikes or scooters as this allow people to become unfit.

Edited by Jo Farrow
tags

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

One thing we could do is stop with all this nonsense about importing tariff-free lamb from Australia & New Zealand . . . can't we eat our own? I mean, apart from in major cities and suburbs, Blighty is teeming with bloody sheep!

In other words, why must a dead sheep circumnavigate the globe on its way to my dinner plate!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, The PIT said:

Giving companies tax breaks to employ people locally.

Companies also given tax incentives to encourage working from home either hybrid or full working from home.

Encourage people to walk to work where possible as this is the most environmental way of getting to work.

Discourage the use of electric bikes or scooters as this allow people to become unfit.

I have an electric bike. It enables me to commute 12 miles to work and climb the 800 ft back home. Would I do that with a conventional bike? No, I've just never been that fit.

Does an electric bike mean I get unfit? It's the opposite - it only does some of the work you know and if I didn't use it I'd be driving a car to work. I can't see how that would make me fitter or be better for the environment?

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

One thing we could do is stop with all this nonsense about importing tariff-free lamb from Australia & New Zealand . . . can't we eat our own? I mean, apart from in major cities and suburbs, Blighty is teeming with bloody sheep!

In other words, why must a dead sheep circumnavigate the globe on its way to my dinner plate!

In a word, dogma.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
4 hours ago, The PIT said:

I can work from home easily and have been during covid. Have now been pulled back into the office 2 days out of 5. with a 50 mile round trip in the car each time.

For me sure have some office base activities but not full time. Save the planet and let me have a lie in 3 days a week 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

We probably don't produce enough and long term if the human population keeps growing they'll no room for anything anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

We probably don't produce enough and long term if the human population keeps growing they'll no room for anything anyway.

So what do you suppose we do with then -- they're everywhere!

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

It's '#ShowyourStripes day. The visual aid to show the overall warming trend as encouragement to bring up the Climate Change conversations again and keep the need for adaptation/climate proofing high on the agenda. 

"The UK is struggling to keep pace with Climate Change impacts" issued this month

CCC_CCRA_website_banner_1920x500_v1-scal
WWW.THECCC.ORG.UK

The UK's independent adviser on tackling climate change

_stripes_EUROPE-UK1884-2020-MO.png

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Today is #WorldCleanAirDay. 

Trying to find detailed forecast information is tricky. DEFRA inconjunction with the Met Office offer a broadbrush forecast each day

07/09/21 Today : Moderate levels of air pollution are expected across various parts of England and Wales, due to the warm and sunny conditions. Where winds are light, the built-up of locally emitted pollution may even lead to pockets of High pollution. Largely Low elsewhere.

Tomorrow : Air quality is expected to improve in the southwest of the UK on Wednesday, thanks to increasing winds there. Elsewhere however, the warm and sunny weather will continue to generate areas of Moderate air pollution, locally accompanied by pockets of High pollution.

No mention of what pollutant. Currently South Wales has a High Pollution alert for Particulates. 

We have been including these forecasts in the Netweather daily forecast article when levels increase, but it has not been part of the mainstream weather forecasts. Last year there were more discussions , would the main broadcasters start to include this, as they do for Flood warning info, pollen count, UV levels. Air pollution must be deemed more serious than the Pollen count.

Yesterday ITV weather did include an Air Quality index graphic. The quality of our air and the health concerns are beginning to be highlighted. 

0907airqual.png

0906airqualITV.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I mentioned the other day, in my regional thread, about the air quality. The PM 2.5 and PM 10 levels have been their highest since owning an air quality sensor.

temp.thumb.png.c0c62973961f34a61633e5de6bb7b9cd.png

It has improved in the last 24 hours, though.

e4f096a9afc2ac94925a02428a33c2f3.png
WAREHAMWX.CO.UK

Live weather conditions in Wareham, Dorset. WXSIM forecasts. Weather information includes: temperature, wind, rain, solar, pressure, air quality, updated every 4 seconds.

• Like 1