Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Enviroment and what the Government should be doing now as we come out of lockdown

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Giving companies tax breaks to employ people locally.

Companies hit by larger taxes for employers they employ who have to commute.

Companies also given tax incentives to encourage working from home either hybrid or full working from home.

Encourage people to walk to work where possible as this is the most environmental way of getting to work.

Discourage the use of electric bikes or scooters as this allow people to become unfit.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    Posted (edited)

One thing we could do is stop with all this nonsense about importing tariff-free lamb from Australia & New Zealand . . . can't we eat our own? I mean, apart from in major cities and suburbs, Blighty is teeming with bloody sheep!🐑

In other words, why must a dead sheep circumnavigate the globe on its way to my dinner plate!🤔

Edited by Ed Stone
    • Like 4
    Posted
    Posted (edited)
    3 hours ago, The PIT said:

Giving companies tax breaks to employ people locally.

Companies also given tax incentives to encourage working from home either hybrid or full working from home.

Encourage people to walk to work where possible as this is the most environmental way of getting to work.

Discourage the use of electric bikes or scooters as this allow people to become unfit.

I have an electric bike. It enables me to commute 12 miles to work and climb the 800 ft back home. Would I do that with a conventional bike? No, I've just never been that fit.

Does an electric bike mean I get unfit? It's the opposite - it only does some of the work you know and if I didn't use it I'd be driving a car to work. I can't see how that would make me fitter or be better for the environment?

Edited by Devonian
    • Like 2
    Posted
    3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

One thing we could do is stop with all this nonsense about importing tariff-free lamb from Australia & New Zealand . . . can't we eat our own? I mean, apart from in major cities and suburbs, Blighty is teeming with bloody sheep!🐑

In other words, why must a dead sheep circumnavigate the globe on its way to my dinner plate!🤔

In a word, dogma.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
    4 hours ago, The PIT said:

I can work from home easily and have been during covid. Have now been pulled back into the office 2 days out of 5. with a 50 mile round trip in the car each time.

For me sure have some office base activities but not full time. Save the planet and let me have a lie in 3 days a week 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
    4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

We probably don't produce enough and long term if the human population keeps growing they'll no room for anything anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
    2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

We probably don't produce enough and long term if the human population keeps growing they'll no room for anything anyway.

So what do you suppose we do with then -- they're everywhere!

• 1 month later...
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

It's '#ShowyourStripes day. The visual aid to show the overall warming trend as encouragement to bring up the Climate Change conversations again and keep the need for adaptation/climate proofing high on the agenda. 

"The UK is struggling to keep pace with Climate Change impacts" issued this month

CCC_CCRA_website_banner_1920x500_v1-scal
    WWW.THECCC.ORG.UK

The UK's independent adviser on tackling climate change

_stripes_EUROPE-UK1884-2020-MO.png

• Like 3