Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Music from the dreary May of 1984

Posted

Slightly too young to remember May 84, I turned 6 that month. I have some memories of the summer though being very good here, well at least the school holidays, photographs of our local park with brown grass, quite rare for these wet parts.

I think May 84 brought alot of easterlies, we tend to do well under such set ups.

Back to the music the following spring to mind:

Duran Duran - The Reflex

Wham - Wake me up before you go go

Pointer Sisters - Automatic

1984 was a year with some big pop tunes, the peak of 80s pop, led by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, always feel it was the most 80s of all the years music and fashion wise - big hair, big tunes.. everything was big, in your face, unapologetic.

Posted

I have some memories of May 1984, as it was the month I turned 8. I had a slight accident around that time, due to eating too much food, and had some trouble in the Southern Hemisphere lol. White bread sandwiches, coke and sausage rolls were the order of the day.

I remember it being warm even in May,  but the stats say otherwise, also remember Madness ‘one better day’ and Red Guitar by David Sylvian getting lots of airplay. Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s Relax was massive, and the fear of impending nuclear war. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

here

charts.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

here

charts.JPG

I remember a lot of those songs in the charts!

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Don said:

I remember a lot of those songs in the charts!

Deniece William's is a catchy number, always think  had Whitney been around couple of years before she made it big then that could have been one of her songs.. has a How will I know.. edge to it.

Posted
On 04/05/2021 at 23:16, damianslaw said:

Deniece William's is a catchy number, always think  had Whitney been around couple of years before she made it big then that could have been one of her songs.. has a How will I know.. edge to it.

That’s one of the songs I actually don’t like from summer 84. Not sure why.

Dancing Girls by Nik Kershaw is one of my favourites, although I wasn’t aware of it from the time. It’s very much a song of its time. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

I can't remember one thing about may 1984.

I was living in Australia at the time and I remember a big thunderstorm hitting as I was heading home from school. The news that day was that Eric Morecambe had died

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

I can't remember one thing about may 1984.

Man thats some good gear you were on! lol

Posted
17 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Man thats some good gear you were on! lol

1983 and 1984 was a blur when it comes to the weather,it was called stress for being at school.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Don’t remember much about May 84 other it was the month I met my wife’.

i remember a summer of dry sunny evening goingS out out for drives and pub meals and long walks.

back in the days before you could spend lovely weather sat in binge watching TV.

Posted

And people were nice to each other, and left their doors open!!

My take on May 1984 would be, people in general started to become more youthful looking, and exercised more. Image was becoming more important to the general public. Duran Duran and the like, was definitely an influence. Only a few years before that, you could probably walk down the street, dressed in tatty clothing and nobody would bat an eye, but 84 was very much a time, when your peers would judge you on the clothes you were wearing. I remember being laughed at for wearing Dunlop trainers by my classmates, lol.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

My take on May 1984 would be, people in general started to become more youthful looking, and exercised more. Image was becoming more important to the general public. Duran Duran and the like, was definitely an influence. Only a few years before that, you could probably walk down the street, dressed in tatty clothing and nobody would bat an eye, but 84 was very much a time, when your peers would judge you on the clothes you were wearing. I remember being laughed at for wearing Dunlop trainers by my classmates, lol.

That wasnt a good thing, it was the start of the vanity era when how you looked mattered more than who you were. Its lead ultimately to the vile celeb culture we have now, where appearance is everything and content is nothing. So we are left with vaccuous, vapid, orange goldfish who find it hard to string a sentance together but hey...as long as their teeth are white, their skin is orange , they pout like a baboons bum and they are "buff" ... what matters?....

Gimmie a hippy, punk, rasta, grebo, hells angel, anyday over those label wearing fashionistas with no personality, not brain, fakes any day of the week.

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

That wasnt a good thing, it was the start of the vanity era when how you looked mattered more than who you were. Its lead ultimately to the vile celeb culture we have now, where appearance is everything and content is nothing. So we are left with vaccuous, vapid, orange goldfish who find it hard to string a sentance together but hey...as long as their teeth are white, their skin is orange , they pout like a baboons bum and they are "buff" ... what matters?....

Gimmie a hippy, punk, rasta, grebo, hells angel, anyday over those label wearing fashionistas with no personality, not brain, fakes any day of the week.

That why I say 1984 was the start of it, and was a different world to say 1979-80, partly due to lack of music videos and image conscious music acts. We went from Pink Floyd, and Peter Gabriel, to Duran Duran and Culture Club in a very short space of time. 

Plus, more people were heading to Spain, or other more exotic locations, so image was everything. This is probably why people in this country feel more body conscious than they used to be, when the summer arrives in the UK.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

That why I say 1984 was the start of it, and was a different world to say 1979-80, partly due to lack of music videos and image conscious music acts. We went from Pink Floyd, and Peter Gabriel, to Duran Duran and Culture Club in a very short space of time. 

Plus, more people were heading to Spain, or other more exotic locations, so image was everything. This is probably why people in this country feel more body conscious than they used to be, when the summer arrives in the UK.

You are talking to someone who lived through and participated in the great fashion/music explosions of the 70's and 80's , lol, i was there, i was part of it, it was my generation..

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

You are talking to someone who lived through and participated in the great fashion/music explosions of the 70's and 80's , lol, i was there, i was part of it, it was my generation..

For some reason, your profile name gives me the impression you were high on mushrooms during the period in question lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

By 84 the Thatcher era had taken hold. The 'loads of money' look at me selfish attidute had taken hold and unfortunately society has never been the same since and the same applies to the music.

• Like 3

Posted
53 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

For some reason, your profile name gives me the impression you were high on mushrooms during the period in question lol.

Not in that period, i actually partook in the later 90's..
I was a teen in the glam/prog rock era, 20 when punk hit, early 20s through the new romantic period... and am a bit of a hippy at heart, or was.. i dabbled in most of the scenes but new romantics was my biggest trend..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
35 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Not in that period, i actually partook in the later 90's..
I was a teen in the glam/prog rock era, 20 when punk hit, early 20s through the new romantic period... and am a bit of a hippy at heart, or was.. i dabbled in most of the scenes but new romantics was my biggest trend..

I even tried playing football in 4" platforms . . . things didn't work out too well! 

• Like 1

Posted

I missed may by a week for songs which twig the memory back but this was in june the standout song for me of the whole school period.

Sticking with the music theme and gone way off topic for the year,I do remember this original song now,my memory has been cleaned as I remember this classic was in my head forever from junior school as my top tune 1977.

Then this was much later in 1985 no wonder these songs were in my head in school its got that perfect catchy dance vibe.

That goes for two tribes aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJtyWksh3K0

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
17 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

I missed may by a week for songs which twig the memory back but this was in june the standout song for me of the whole school period.

Sticking with the music theme and gone way off topic for the year,I do remember this original song now,my memory has been cleaned as I remember this classic was in my head forever from junior school as my top tune 1977.

Then this was much later in 1985 no wonder these songs were in my head in school its got that perfect catchy dance vibe.

That goes for two tribes aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJtyWksh3K0

Frankie Goes to Hollywood owned 1984. It’s just a shame their success was overshadowed by the dreary Stevie Wonder ballad in late 1984, and Band Aid, from giving them the two best selling singles of 1984.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

johan cruyff, kevin keegan, and trevor brooking all retired in may1984.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 09/05/2021 at 04:21, Sunny76 said:

Frankie Goes to Hollywood owned 1984. It’s just a shame their success was overshadowed by the dreary Stevie Wonder ballad in late 1984, and Band Aid, from giving them the two best selling singles of 1984.

don't matter about best selling singles... if you were a teenager in 1983/4 Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood will live in long in the memory as one of those tunes from the 1980s for lots of different reasons...Stevie who???

Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

don't matter about best selling singles... if you were a teenager in 1983/4 Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood will live in long in the memory as one of those tunes from the 1980s for lots of different reasons...Stevie who???

That is true, but I quite like a few Stevie Wonder songs. His biggest hit is possibly his worst song ever.