Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Is this the sort of weather that is likely to increase ozone levels if rush hour traffic increases this coming week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Met Office confirming today's max was 31.6c at Heathrow.....so what we already knew, there is something badly wrong with the station at Liverpool AP.

It's also a METAR only station, which only gives rounded values, and can't be included in records for this reason (thanks to Dan Holley for this info).

• Like 2

Posted

Stunning summers day in Torquay. Sunny with 26C so not uncomfortable like the inland areas. Looking glorious up until Thursday! Hopefully this is a turning point and August and September are good too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
57 minutes ago, Azazel said:

What a wonderful day.

im hoping we can squeeze one more hot day out on Friday so I can have a bbq and some booze after work.

Friday a big ask for south, should be okay here but with strong E'ly cooling wind

Saturday does turn much cooler from the south

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

The models now pumping out 33C mon-wed and 32C Thursday. Meto going for 32C everyday. 

GEM also going for that kinda level as well fwiw, both those two models tend to be the best with dealing with max temps I tend to fine. UKV broadly going for 30-31c though.

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

This up coming week is looking appalling for working in, by a long way the worst working weather for a few years...its going to be tough and very unpleasant. 

I lot of people will suddenly have to islolate this week no doubt.... hmmmm

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely weather. A return to what we had in the first half of June.

Very long overdue, and a change from the dull cloudy damp rubbish which dominated the last 4 weeks.

The sunshine just makes me feel better and more optimistic.

Posted
3 hours ago, Frigid said:

I’m not the type to moan but my oh my it’s scorching out there. Imo anything above 25c is straight out uncomfortable accompanied with this humidity. And by the looks of it the heat only intensifies next week. Lots of sleepless nights ahead!

If only 20c and blue skies were more common in the summer, think that would satisfy the majority of people. 

But it doesn’t last that long, and this summer so far hasn’t been that hot.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Heathrow 31.6C. Seems odds on we’ll probably see a 33C in the next few days. Looks like a really gorgeous week coming up! 

A really horrible week more like! 

2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Unlikely, this is going to be the warmest day of the spell. Might scrape a couple more 30s though.

Hope so!

2 hours ago, Freeze said:

That day wasn't as hot here on the coast, around 30c, last August had 33c 4 days on the bounce, unheard of for this location.

Last August wasn’t too bad here, had maybe one or two days that reached 30°C but that was it. The heat was much more intense in the south though. This week though, the heat is much more widespread like it was in 2018.

17 minutes ago, IanR said:

I lot of people will suddenly have to islolate this week no doubt.... hmmmm

Yep, a new illness has come out, Heat Aversion Syndrome!

Symptoms include:

• Persistent moaning about heat
  • Getting angry when others say they enjoy the heat
  • Feeling extremely uncomfortable
  • Sweating profusely
  • Lack of sleep

Treatment includes:

• Self isolate and stay at home until the heat is over.
  • Drink plenty of water
  • Get a fan and aircon
  • Stay out of the sun!
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Regarding the hot vs cold debate I find it equally hard to warm up as I do to cool down - probably because I’m quite small.

I also have what I think is probably undiagnosed trigeminal myalgia and when it’s cold/blustery my face becomes a world of pain. I also get achey joints etc in the cold.

I will concede however working in my tin box office with no air con is pretty horrendous for the afternoon stretch. I then have to get in my black car with a busted air con which is much like getting inside an oven to drive home where the house is roasting hot too.

Thats when a cold shower feels amazing and then I just sit in the garden until bedtime and it’s magic.

Yeah I can understand that. Until mid May, my hands were still cold during the day, especially when day temps struggled to hit 13-15c. 

That being said, I always appreciate the change of seasons, but do look forward to some hot sunny weather. We spend at least 7-8 months of the year in a damp, cool, or even cold weather pattern, and the winter and spring just gone was a cooler one.

Now the heat is here, people just need to make the most of it. The only downside for me, is having to wear a suit at work, which I absolutely loathe to the max. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Despite reaching a max of 29.4C earlier today, nearby Waddington is already down at 20C (it was 26C this time yesterday), so the house should cool down more tonight.

Posted
8 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

This is turning into quite an intense hot spell. Even during the likes of 2013 and 2018 the heat wasn't so intense here. Rarely do we see Manchester being forecast to be hotter than London or just as hot for four days on the trot starting tomorrow. Night times looking to become very warm and humid later in the week. 

Screenshot_20210718-125900.png

Screenshot_20210718-125840.png

I don't have the stats but 2018 from memory did produce a run iof very high maxima in the NW, in July. July 2013 perhaps not quite as hot but many days in the high 20s I remember. It's not as hot as July 2006, that was a real scorcher mid month, we hit 32 degrees, very rare indeed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Still 25C here, trying to cool the house down as much as possible before I crank up the A/C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I get the impression there are not many people around at Liverpool AP. Locate beacon is out of service and ground movement control is closed; increased bird activity within the aerodrome Boundry according to ATIS and it has been like that for months.

maybe in incorrectly fitted or absent radiation Shield.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

29.1°C was the max here, now 21.8°C. AC on max.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I get the impression there are not many people around at Liverpool AP. Locate beacon is out of service and ground movement control is closed; increased bird activity within the aerodrome Boundry according to ATIS and it has been like that for months.

maybe in incorrectly fitted or absent radiation Shield.

It's been very suspect for months, if not years. Even back in the day it used to record higher readings in certain setups than the other stations nearby. I see nothing favourable about the location of the station geographically when compared to other stations nearby such as Hawarden, Crosby or Woodvale. There's no way it should be recording higher temps than inland stations such as Rostherne or Manchester Airport in a NW wind.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Folk change....don't you ever stop?

I used to get excited over up and coming hot sunny spells. especially when the tstorms were forecast as the spell went on , 

I dread hot spells now , really disrupts my sleep , going to work on no or little sleep in heat is torture .     Dont get me wrong I haven't turned into a proper cold fan , I hate prolonged icy spells in winter for different reasons ,  but I can cope with it better ,  Still like the storms heat can bring though ,  but even them are pot luck these days  .  I like 20c to 23 c in summer and 7c to 12c for winter ,   I suppose that makes me a mildy .   This heat is not 'mild' weather

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

25c here today plenty hot for me not one person in long trousers or long sleeves. Tomorrow could be even hotter at 26c good thing it's my day off! 

What a fantastic climate the northwest is, proper heat in summer with storms and proper cold and snow in winter. 

Edited by Freeze

Posted

It’s just a touch too warm for me. I think if you knocked off 3-4 degrees it would be perfect. Looking forward to the cool down!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Too warm for me, if I'm honest. I like sunny and warm, but that means somewhere in the 23-25 °C range. Today was 29.9 °C here (hottest of the year for me) and it was really too hot. Met Office text forecast gives 30 °C as tomorrow's max for the W Mids, so conceivable it'll make it. Now I think about it though, I suspect a high 20s is more likely.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, IanR said:

I used to get excited over up and coming hot sunny spells. especially when the tstorms were forecast as the spell went on , 

I dread hot spells now , really disrupts my sleep , going to work on no or little sleep in heat is torture .     Dont get me wrong I haven't turned into a proper cold fan , I hate prolonged icy spells in winter for different reasons ,  but I can cope with it better ,  Still like the storms heat can bring though ,  but even them are pot luck these days  .  I like 20c to 23 c in summer and 7c to 12c for winter ,   I suppose that makes me a mildy .   This heat is not 'mild' weather

Your preferences are very similar to mine. Still love a good snowfall or a one day plume but hate prolonged heat and cold, always waiting for the Atlantic to break through when that happens be it summer or winter.

1 hour ago, Freeze said:

25c here today plenty hot for me not one person in long trousers or long sleeves. Tomorrow could be even hotter at 26c good thing it's my day off! 

What a fantastic climate the northwest is, proper heat in summer with storms and proper cold and snow in winter. 

The northwest of England? Probably one of the most boring climates in the country to be honest, loads of cloud and rain, not much heat and not much snow.

Probably just as well!

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Hot week coming up but to be honest it could be worse, nothing higher than 26/27 forecast here, at the moment... It was still 25°C in London at 10:20 pm! Only 19°C here though at the same time. 

In other news my neighbours tomcat decided to make himself at home today!

007BC9D6-F1B0-496D-959D-F6B442F66CAB.jpeg

25E76275-EA34-451A-A414-3FE2937A4FA9.jpeg

02D00E70-4DE8-4345-B469-149C637E94FE.jpeg

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The northwest of England? Probably one of the most boring climates in the country to be honest, not much heat and not much snow.

Tbf the NW has had quite a good summer up to this point. And Winter 2020/21 did see quite a lot of snowfalls in my area especially, can’t forget the freak event on 20th Jan, 12c in the morning plummeting to 0 in the evening with the heaviest snowfall I’ve seen in years. 

In general I feel like the SE has the best weather in the country as their summers are warm and in winter they can benefit from channel lows delivering lots of snow and easterlies (though they are much rarer than heatwaves)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
5 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Tbf the NW has had quite a good summer up to this point. And Winter 2020/21 did see quite a lot of snowfalls in my area especially, can’t forget the freak event on 20th Jan, 12c in the morning plummeting to 0 in the evening with the heaviest snowfall I’ve seen in years. 

In general I feel like the SE has the best weather in the country as their summers are warm and in winter they can benefit from channel lows delivering lots of snow and easterlies (though they are much rarer than heatwaves)

I agree with most, channel lows don't really happen much, last time in 2013. Easterlies in winter also seem to only deliver to the extreme east coast. Plumes also to the far east of Kent, heat also 20 odd miles inland, same with convective storms. It's very boring here compared to elsewhere in the country for a weather enthusiast.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Yes, it was quite a cold winter just gone, and a very warm summer so far, not quite as hot, dry and sunny as 2018 but not that far off. Sandwiched in between a chilly spring as well.

Last year was the complete opposite, a very mild and very wet winter, an exceptionally warm, dry and sunny spring, an unseasonably cool first half of June and all of July (apart from the last day).

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1