Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I see Liverpool Airport has hit 30ºC, according to the top 20. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Its too hot for me already, 27.8C is Barry, i need one of those walk in freezers attached to the back of my house!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It's baking here in Swansea! 27.5°C after a overnight low of 20.0°C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
9 minutes ago, DeepSnow said:

Its too hot for me already, 27.8C is Barry, i need one of those walk in freezers attached to the back of my house!

Quite agree, most unpleasant.  No good for man or beast, my neighbour has been taken to hospital this morning for heart related issues, most likely linked to these high temperatures and even my tortoise is totally fed up of it!  Struggling myself with this heat.  It certainly is horrible sweaty Betty weather at the moment……roll on winter!!

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
6 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s not ‘horrific’ if you have a simple fan, sleep naked and can part with your duvet and just use a sheet. I have absolutely no problem sleeping in hot weather and the week or two of warm nights experienced in the UK per year really isn’t an issue. Colder weather certainly does keep you awake if suffering from any kind of arthritis or tendinitis, as millions will tell you, including myself. It’s utterly miserable and that goes on for months, not days.

Not exclusively.  I suffer with one or two autoimmune conditions, Sjogrens being one of them and I will say I struggle a great deal more in this hot dry weather.   

Edited by Snowycat
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Surprisingly I actually feeo less oppressed today and I'm pretty sure last night was cooler than the previous night (had a faster gradiant drop by the time I went to bed and I woke up less).

Xcweather has Wales the top spot at 28C so far and Yorkshire a little cooler than yesterday. Currently 24C here so about 2C down on yesterday.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

I see Liverpool Airport has hit 30ºC, according to the top 20. 

The site is definitely faulty. Before this year, it hardly ever appeared at the top of the leader board. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
13 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

The met office is going for most places above 25c all week until at least next Friday. 32c  tomorrow predicted for London.. 29c up here 

7 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s not ‘horrific’ if you have a simple fan, sleep naked and can part with your duvet and just use a sheet. I have absolutely no problem sleeping in hot weather and the week or two of warm nights experienced in the UK per year really isn’t an issue. Colder weather certainly does keep you awake if suffering from any kind of arthritis or tendinitis, as millions will tell you, including myself. It’s utterly miserable and that goes on for months, not days.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but can’t you just put a thicker duvet on or crank the heating up? I will never understand this suffering in cold weather malarkey as most of us have central heating and warm clothes. In hot weather you can be naked and still too hot.

Last night I slept in just my boxers and a thin sheet, and still woke up too hot. I don’t have a fan I must admit, but I have a small bedroom don’t really have room.

4 hours ago, mistyqueen said:

Still waiting on Summer officially arriving up here. The best I can say about it is that it has been very dry. It's also been very humid especially at night. Lots of mist and sea haar. Can't remember when we last had a full day's sunshine. Maybe three weeks ago? Current temp is 15.8c, overcast, humidity 42%. No rain forecast for this coming week, so will have to double water the veggies! 

Wish it was like that down here. Sounds perfect! Envious!

4 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

International Space Station 

You saw the ISS??? Wow!

1 hour ago, Frigid said:

Had to sleep downstairs as the loft was way to hot for anyone to sleep in. Was 31c at 11pm. Anyways, this spell is turning to be quite prolonged, even longer than the August 2020 heatwave in my area. Very reminiscent to July 2018 I have to say

Yes I agree, it’s reminding me of July 2018 as well, high 20’s, sunny, still 25C indoors at night. Ugh.  The worst kind of weather for me.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Quite agree, most unpleasant.  No good for man or beast, my neighbour has been taken to hospital this morning for heart related issues, most likely linked to these high temperatures and even my tortoise is totally fed up of it!  Struggling myself with this heat.  It certainly is horrible sweaty Betty weather at the moment……roll on winter!!

I totally agree. Even my cats are seeking the shade. It’s just too darn hot! (film reference there).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
41 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

The site is definitely faulty. Before this year, it hardly ever appeared at the top of the leader board. 

Needs looking at. I check top 20s a fair bit and like you say, that site was never featuring at the top as often as it is now. By quite a margin too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Its 27℃ to 28℃ here right now but there is a bit of cirrus and a load of cumulus clouds around which is keeping temperatures lower then what they could be.

Not quite as certain it will reach 30℃ now.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

1941 236

2014 236

1970 235

1969 234

1973 234

1999 234

1997 232

1990 229

2021 229 (up to 16th July)

Interesting to note how low 1990 is in this list. Often named as one of the best summers in recent times. Skewed I think by the highest temp on record for the time happening 3 August. From memory June was quite cool and cloudy, and the summer only really got going around mid July. Mind the second half of July was consistently dry very warm and sunny and August was very decent. A rare incidence when best weather came during school holidays. 

As said expect 2021 to climb a few places in the week ahead. 2021 might end up an episodic summer with some notably lengthy spells of excellent summer weather but equally spells of poor weather..  quite interesting as we haven't had many such summers in recent times. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
17 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I thought I would point something out to you; Last year, you were making posts complaining that it was 15°C  in July, where you were, and that you had the heating on.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted

Fortunately the sea breeze has kicked in for us now and the temperature has dropped from 26.2C to 23.3C in less than 15 minutes. The dewpoint dropped from 19.1C to 16.7C with it, so it feels quite different now.

Yesterday was too much for me reaching 29.3C (the 9th warmest July day ever for here) with a dewpoint of >20C at times. It was still 26C at 8pm so cooling the house before bed was pretty much impossible as I'm up at 5am all weekend for work. 

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

This is turning into quite an intense hot spell. Even during the likes of 2013 and 2018 the heat wasn't so intense here. Rarely do we see Manchester being forecast to be hotter than London or just as hot for four days on the trot starting tomorrow. Night times looking to become very warm and humid later in the week. 

Screenshot_20210718-125900.png

Screenshot_20210718-125840.png

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but can’t you just put a thicker duvet on or crank the heating up? I will never understand this suffering in cold weather malarkey as most of us have central heating and warm clothes. In hot weather you can be naked and still too hot.

Last night I slept in just my boxers and a thin sheet, and still woke up too hot. I don’t have a fan I must admit, but I have a small bedroom don’t really have room.

You saw the ISS??? Wow!

Yes I agree, it’s reminding me of July 2018 as well, high 20’s, sunny, still 25C indoors at night. Ugh.  The worst kind of weather for me.

It’s visible most nights at various times for about 5 minutes. Like a slow moving bright star.

Posted

Back from spain 2 days ago.

37c + there for days. Not that’s what you call hot. 

Very nice to come home to decent weather, temp up to 31c forecast in Bedfordshire today and 32c in London. Lovely jubbly... making the most of it before the usual crud U.K. weather sets back in. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
39 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You saw the ISS??? Wow!

I've never known anyone have such a complete 180 in weather preferences in just a year. Most odd.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Not very often you will hear me moan, but... It's to hot

• Like 7

Yesterday another station, Killowen, not too far from Ballywhatsit (31.2c) had reached 30.8C which is equal to the Northern Ireland record in June 1976 and July 1983. It will be quality checked anyway before it is verified as a new record.

• Like 1

Back home now, beach was just too busy. Again interesting the sea breeze reaching the flatter more eastern parts of Poole & Bournemouth and holding temps back to 26C, 29.9C on my pretty well sited AWS now. Further west and I still have a north easterly if you can call it that. It’s barely a waft…

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

As said expect 2021 to climb a few places in the week ahead. 2021 might end up an episodic summer with some notably lengthy spells of excellent summer weather but equally spells of poor weather..  quite interesting as we haven't had many such summers in recent times. 

I disagree. There’s been plenty of summers like that in recent years that have swung from hot and dry to very unsettled and cool. Summers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020 were all like that, even Summer 2018 turned very cool and unsettled right at the end. Most notable was 2019, cold and wet first half of June with lots of 12c washout days, a few weeks later we get the hottest day on record.

I wish we’d just get a benign summer with plenty of usable high teens/low twenties, dry and sunny conditions but no ridiculously hot temperatures for once.

55 minutes ago, reef said:

Fortunately the sea breeze has kicked in for us now and the temperature has dropped from 26.2C to 23.3C in less than 15 minutes. The dewpoint dropped from 19.1C to 16.7C with it, so it feels quite different now.

Yesterday was too much for me reaching 29.3C (the 9th warmest July day ever for here) with a dewpoint of >20C at times. It was still 26C at 8pm so cooling the house before bed was pretty much impossible as I'm up at 5am all weekend for work. 

No sea breeze here sadly as I’m too far away from the coast so as long as the sun is out the temp will keep going up until around 5 pm! Was 22°C at 11 am, now 25°C. But a bit more cloud around today so hopefully it won’t reach the 28 I reached yesterday!

50 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

This is turning into quite an intense hot spell. Even during the likes of 2013 and 2018 the heat wasn't so intense here. Rarely do we see Manchester being forecast to be hotter than London or just as hot for four days on the trot starting tomorrow. Night times looking to become very warm and humid later in the week. 

Screenshot_20210718-125900.png

Screenshot_20210718-125840.png

Yes. What’s more unusual is the Synoptics are nothing special, just a big area of high pressure, upper air temps warm but nothing exceptional, we are just near the centre of the high pressure so light winds, heaps of sunshine, very high temperatures.

We get these ridiculously hot temperatures every summer now, we are constantly breaking new records, is it too much to ask to have a summer without any hot weather for once?

45 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

It’s visible most nights at various times for about 5 minutes. Like a slow moving bright star.

Have to admit I’ve never noticed!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

30C hit around Oxford on Xcweather.

26C here and actually picking up cloud.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of any description.

Seem to be cursed when it comes to holiday weather. Each time we go away in the UK it's guaranteed great weather the week before or after but never during our stay. So off we head to Devon next Saturday for a week