Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Monday is looking like a belter too!

viewimage.thumb.png.1f3c820877099ef663ec0a360270a40f.png 1395435029_viewimage(1).thumb.png.7f536a07c2b6b4a84660f36eb7610c21.png

Looking forward to spinning for some bass down at Kimmeridge.

???

1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

Crystal clear, beautiful half moon, bright pass by the space station, still nearly 24c! 

Space station??

31 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Still a pleasant 21.8C right on the coast. Absolutely gorgeous evening. 

Might be pleasant outdoors now but indoors it's sweltering! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It got up to around 29C here in Lincoln today.  The heat outdoors was OK for me, rather on the warm side of comfortable but not bad, and it was nice to get plenty of sunshine.  Indoor temperatures of 27 to 29C are proving rather trickier though!  I don't mind the daytime heat but I could do with lower humidity and cooler temperatures overnight to help cool the house down a bit.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 minute ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

It got up to around 29C here in Lincoln today.  The heat outdoors was OK for me, rather on the warm side of comfortable but not bad, and it was nice to get plenty of sunshine.  Indoor temperatures of 27 to 29C are proving rather trickier though!

High temperatures certainly do feel very oppressive and clammy indoors. Probably due to higher humidity and lack of wind/ventilation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

High temperatures certainly do feel very oppressive and clammy indoors. Probably due to higher humidity and lack of wind/ventilation.

Yes, the dew point at nearby RAF Waddington has been around 15C which isn't too bad, but inside my house it's probably around 19C, given a temperature of 28.9C and relative humidity of 55%.  That's really pushing it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry to say the next couple of nights at least look horrific for sleeping if you haven't aircon. I suspect most will agree that it's at night the issue of heat really is felt. The colder weather doesn't keep you awake at night no matter how much you hate it, folk who love this weather seem to forget this.

It’s not ‘horrific’ if you have a simple fan, sleep naked and can part with your duvet and just use a sheet. I have absolutely no problem sleeping in hot weather and the week or two of warm nights experienced in the UK per year really isn’t an issue. Colder weather certainly does keep you awake if suffering from any kind of arthritis or tendinitis, as millions will tell you, including myself. It’s utterly miserable and that goes on for months, not days.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Minor edit
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s not ‘horrific’ if you have a simple fan, sleep naked and can part with your teddy bears and duvet and just use a sheet. I have absolutely no problem sleeping in hot weather and the week or two of warm nights experienced in the UK per year really isn’t an issue. Colder weather certainly does keep you awake if suffering from any kind of arthritis or tendinitis, as millions will tell you, including myself. It’s utterly miserable and that goes on for months, not days.

Well thats very strange then. All these folk i speak to on travelling the country on a daily basis are all liars then!! When they say how bad a nights sleep they had, how awful it was in the heat at 3am,how fans are useless in a already hot room...they are fibbing!! Very strange

Oh by the way i had rheumatic fever as a kid,left me with chronic arthritis, my sympathies but the cold doesn't effect it, a change of weather does, either cold to hot or hot to cold, its not a simple one fits all condition if you really look into it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 minutes ago, markyo said:

Well thats very strange then. All these folk i speak to on travelling the country on a daily basis are all liars then!! When they say how bad a nights sleep they had, how awful it was in the heat at 3am,how fans are useless in a already hot room...they are fibbing!! Very strange

Oh by the way i had rheumatic fever as a kid,left me with chronic arthritis, my sympathies but the cold doesn't effect it, a change of weather does, either cold to hot or hot to cold, its not a simple one fits all condition if you really look into it.

Which all happens about 5 times per year in most British summers outside of SE England (here, it’s about 10 nights out of 365) and is easily manageable. 
I suffer with shoulder tendinitis and the winter months are unpleasant. 5-6 months is a long time when your sleep is often disrupted by persistent aching. A few warm nights in summer are really nothing in comparison.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yes, you're correct when you say this weather is terrible to sleep in, Very uncomfortable. At least we know it won't last forever, thank god. Your arthritis must be hell to live with.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Still waiting on Summer officially arriving up here. The best I can say about it is that it has been very dry. It's also been very humid especially at night. Lots of mist and sea haar. Can't remember when we last had a full day's sunshine. Maybe three weeks ago? Current temp is 15.8c, overcast, humidity 42%. No rain forecast for this coming week, so will have to double water the veggies! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

???

Space station??

Might be pleasant outdoors now but indoors it's sweltering! 

International Space Station 

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

1941 236

2014 236

1970 235

1969 234

1973 234

1999 234

1997 232

1990 229

2021 229 (up to 16th July)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
15 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Still waiting on Summer officially arriving up here. The best I can say about it is that it has been very dry. It's also been very humid especially at night. Lots of mist and sea haar. Can't remember when we last had a full day's sunshine. Maybe three weeks ago? Current temp is 15.8c, overcast, humidity 42%. No rain forecast for this coming week, so will have to double water the veggies! 

I visited Skye in July 2019 and it's a stunning place! 

The first day is was clear and sunny with a cool, dry Northerly wind but then came the SW'lys and it was a wet, humid low cloud fest! 19c with dew points hovering between 17c and 19c. 

It was fantastic and we came up for the scenery, hiking and wildlife. Being Kentish however we felt that we'd struggle with the climate living there especially as we're heat lovers. Maybe we're too soft haha!

pic collage.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Working outside will make next week disgusting. It’s weeks like this I wish I hadn’t arsed around at school/college and had a nice job in an office with air conditioning . 

• Like 3

Down the beach currently, absolutely gorgeous currently reading 25.1C with a few point of 20.1C on the trusty handheld kestrel! 

Posted

Warm one this morning! Looks like it’s going to be a struggle in the office this week - absolutely not complaining though.

last night wasn’t too bad (and my bedroom is a loft conversion so it’s the hottest and coldest room all year round).

just sleep naked under a thin sheet with a fan on. Easy. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

RE sleeping in hot weather.  If we have a couple of hot days it's no problem, it's when you get prolonged heatwaves and it builds up over time that can be an issue.  Not that it bothers me personally being a heat/sun worshipper, but that's what I've noticed 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Warm one this morning! Looks like it’s going to be a struggle in the office this week - absolutely not complaining though.

last night wasn’t too bad (and my bedroom is a loft conversion so it’s the hottest and coldest room all year round).

just sleep naked under a thin sheet with a fan on. Easy. 

Sod the 'thin sheet'! And, I'll be in the polytunnel, first thing tomorrow morning . . . Aaaaarghhh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

It's turning out to be a beautiful day, especially for a Sunday with no work or other commitments. 

I do think though for those who are looking to exceed 30c, it could be disappointing as there's cloud trying to form already. The dew point is high, the 850s are fairly cool and there's a bit of convergence going on, so I can see further formation happening, wouldn't be surprised if a shower popped up. 

The record is nowhere near to being broken anyway, otherwise I'd be more preoccupied with the cloud, but today, I don't really care!

Let's just enjoy this week before it cools down again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
12 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

I do think though for those who are looking to exceed 30c, it could be disappointing

30°C looks to be odds on in many places.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

30°C looks to be odds on in many places.

It was 22℃ when i got up this morning and its 25℃ right now so i will be surprised if it doesn't break the 30℃ mark today.

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Sod the 'thin sheet'! And, I'll be in the polytunnel, first thing tomorrow morning . . . Aaaaarghhh!

Naked in the polytunnel too?!

• Like 1

Posted

Had to sleep downstairs as the loft was way to hot for anyone to sleep in. Was 31c at 11pm. Anyways, this spell is turning to be quite prolonged, even longer than the August 2020 heatwave in my area. Very reminiscent to July 2018 I have to say

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Bradley in Kent said:

It's turning out to be a beautiful day, especially for a Sunday with no work or other commitments. 

I do think though for those who are looking to exceed 30c, it could be disappointing as there's cloud trying to form already. The dew point is high, the 850s are fairly cool and there's a bit of convergence going on, so I can see further formation happening, wouldn't be surprised if a shower popped up. 

The record is nowhere near to being broken anyway, otherwise I'd be more preoccupied with the cloud, but today, I don't really care!

Let's just enjoy this week before it cools down again!

30C will be surpassed widely today. Already exceeding 28C in some places before midday.

I’d say today’s max will be in the 32-33 range somewhere.