Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds

    31c forecast for Leeds this afternoon

    spacer.png

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

    Vale of York and South West as things stand. 27C in Newquay.

    Edited by summer blizzard
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Shoreham-by-sea, West Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
  • Location: Shoreham-by-sea, West Sussex
    13 minutes ago, cheese said:

    31c forecast for Leeds this afternoon

    spacer.png

    20c for Brighton? It's already 24c here.

    Could be the sea breeze then

    Edited by Freeze
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Leeds
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
  • Location: Leeds
    5 minutes ago, Freeze said:

    20c for Brighton? It's already 24c here.

    Could be the sea breeze then

    Yeah, the Met shows 24C for Brighton at 12pm, falling to 20C later due to the sea breeze. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: London City ,Cobham Surrey or Manchester
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
  • Location: London City ,Cobham Surrey or Manchester

    a great spell of weather in August 95 for many me included the gold standard of a hot spell - but it still went cool and unsettled at the end ! 

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Bournemouth
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Very Warm, Warm! Sunshine & TS
  • Location: Bournemouth
    13 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

    a great spell of weather in August 95 for many me included the gold standard of a hot spell - but it still went cool and unsettled at the end ! 

    August 95 is the best month in Bournemouth’s history, averaged 27C down here and managed a higher average than Heathrow and Cambridge. 
     

    Aug 95 had

    6days above 30C

    the first 21days were all above 25C - which is possibly the most impressive stat in the records at Hurn. 
     

    Every day of the month was above 22C.

    Every day from July 2nd to September 6th was above 21C

    would love a repeat.

    Edited by Alderc
    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: manchester
  • Weather Preferences: Summer & Winter
  • Location: manchester

    Ahhh yes August 1995, the daddy of all Augusts, part of the good ole days when you could actually sit in the grass and not get a wet bum. 

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

    The durinal range was apparently very impressive in Aug 95. Places recording 30C to zero. Likely very low humidity.

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

    Vale Of York now tearing ahead at 28C. Wonder if Reef is getting his rare heat.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    Liverpool Airport 30C at 13:00

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: sheffield
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
  • Location: sheffield

    Just seen a couple go by on my road running. The lady i get, proper running gear for this temp, actual track gear, the man, full body suit on including hood and gloves...guess which one looked like a cooked lobster about to fall over? Also folk have been walking past, coats on and woolly hats! I'll never feel odd again in my shorts in snow!

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Basingstoke
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
  • Location: Basingstoke
    20 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

    Liverpool Airport 30C at 13:00

    I'll happily stand corrected but I have been suspicious about the temperature readings from this station this summer so far, always seems 1-2C too high.  Is it a very sheltered site?

    Interesting temperature distribution today (and yesterday) with the highest temperatures for Central and Western areas, and Eastern Scotland 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
    5 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

    I'll happily stand corrected but I have been suspicious about the temperature readings from this station this summer so far, always seems 1-2C too high.  Is it a very sheltered site?

    Interesting temperature distribution today (and yesterday) with the highest temperatures for Central and Western areas, and Eastern Scotland 

    That station definitely seems a bit dodgy. Always a fair bit higher than the surrounding ones? Every other forecast or current max around there looks like 25/26c??

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
    3 hours ago, cheese said:

    31c forecast for Leeds this afternoon

    spacer.png

    Ooooooooof! 🥵

    4 hours ago, Alderc said:

    I’d describe the forum as primarily pro winter, pro lockdown! 

    I'm definetely anti-heat and anti-lockdown! But this forum seems to be very pro-heat this summer.

    4 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

    I'd say most weather enthusiasts look out for unusual / interesting weather. In winter that tends to mean cold and snowy weather and in summer heat and thunderstorms.

    When reading peoples weather preferences, you don't often see 'Atlantic' or 'mild winter, cool summer'!

    That's my preference I'd say. The good old atlantic keeps us nice and cool in summer and warmer in winter. Yes, I'm boring, I know. I do love a good snowfall though.

    54 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

    Liverpool Airport 30C at 13:00

    Ooooooooof! 🥵

    45 minutes ago, markyo said:

    Just seen a couple go by on my road running. The lady i get, proper running gear for this temp, actual track gear, the man, full body suit on including hood and gloves...guess which one looked like a cooked lobster about to fall over? Also folk have been walking past, coats on and woolly hats! I'll never feel odd again in my shorts in snow!

    You have to be kidding me! 😮 😮 😮 Not seen anyone in a wolly hat and thick coat for ages!

    Edited by East Lancs Rain
    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England

    Not enjoying this heat one bit. Everytime I look at my weather station the temp has gone up!! Now currently 26.7C, 54 % humidity, 25C with 67% humidity indoors. So hot and clammy, ugh. 🥵

     

    Even my cats are lying in the shade! 

     

    Mananged to get a good nights sleep and was actually quite comfortable but I had my window open until about 1 am, sleeping in just boxers and no t-shirt on, and just a sheet on top. Closed the curtains in rooms when the sun shining in, and kept windows closed when the outdoor temp is higher than the indoor temp. Have even shaved my chest as well! 😮 

     

    Looking at the local forecast, while today is the hottest day at 27C, no proper relief until Friday now! ☹️

     

    I'm surprised there isn't more people moaning about the hot sticky nights and high indoor temperatures. It's horrible! 😣

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England

    A few tips for beating the heat:

     

    • Keep curtains/blinds closed when the sun is shining in.
    • Keep your windows closed when the outside temp is hotter than the inside temp, otherwise you will just let the heat in.
    • Wear light, loose cotton clothing (polyester is not as breathable and makes you sweat more). Same goes for bedding as well.
    • Book time off work if you can - or phone in sick!!! 😁😉
    • A cold, damp, wet cloth over your body or a tepid/cold shower is a quick way to cool down.
    • Drink plenty of water, chilled/ice cubes is preferable.
    • Avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm.
    • Avoid using the oven or grill.
    Edited by East Lancs Rain
    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

    The problem here is the indoor temperature is abnormally warm all over the house (though I have a fan) because there's just no wind and even going to bed last night around midnight the room temperature was about 24C. 

    Hopefully a clearer evening tonight will allow a faster temperature drop.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Manchester
  • Location: Manchester
    16 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

     

    I'm surprised there isn't more people moaning about the hot sticky nights and high indoor temperatures. It's horrible! 😣

    I myself don't enjoy this weather but it's only a week out of the whole year we get heatwave conditions. Soon enough the weather will become autumnal and chilly which is what we've been through since October. 

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: West Midlands
  • Weather Preferences: A variety, but nothing too extreme
  • Location: West Midlands

    I personally don't really mind hot weather that much (particularly if it leads to thunderstorms), because hot spells in the UK don't usually last for that long and it keeps the summer season more interesting from a meterological point of the view. On the other hand, from a personal point of view I would be more than happy with a calm sunny day at 22 Celsius. Those conditions are very useable and comfortable.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: sheffield
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
  • Location: sheffield
    18 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

    Not enjoying this heat one bit. Everytime I look at my weather station the temp has gone up!! Now currently 26.7C, 54 % humidity, 25C with 67% humidity indoors. So hot and clammy, ugh. 🥵

     

    Even my cats are lying in the shade! 

     

    Mananged to get a good nights sleep and was actually quite comfortable but I had my window open until about 1 am, sleeping in just boxers and no t-shirt on, and just a sheet on top. Closed the curtains in rooms when the sun shining in, and kept windows closed when the outdoor temp is higher than the indoor temp. Have even shaved my chest as well! 😮 

     

    Looking at the local forecast, while today is the hottest day at 27C, no proper relief until Friday now! ☹️

     

    I'm surprised there isn't more people moaning about the hot sticky nights and high indoor temperatures. It's horrible! 😣

    Sorry to say the next couple of nights at least look horrific for sleeping if you haven't aircon. I suspect most will agree that it's at night the issue of heat really is felt. The colder weather doesn't keep you awake at night no matter how much you hate it, folk who love this weather seem to forget this.

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
    8 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

    A few tips for beating the heat:

     

    • Keep curtains/blinds closed when the sun is shining in.
    • Keep your windows closed when the outside temp is hotter than the inside temp, otherwise you will just let the heat in.
    • Wear light, loose cotton clothing (polyester is not as breathable and makes you sweat more). Same goes for bedding as well.
    • Book time off work if you can - or phone in sick!!! 😁😉
    • A cold, damp, wet cloth over your body or a tepid/cold shower is a quick way to cool down.
    • Drink plenty of water, chilled/ice cubes is preferable.
    • Avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm.
    • Avoid using the oven or grill.

    Or, if you prefer, wear a tank-top and shorts, and drink plenty of vodka! Easier I'll admit, when your windows incorporate (I won't be typing that in two-hours' time!) IR-shielding, like mine do?:drunk-emoji:😁

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

    According to Xcweather it's still the Vale Of York, Humberside and Wellesbourne at 29C. Suspect the later may get the highest of the day being a little further south with a higher gradient through the afternoon.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire

    Getting pretty uncomfortable out there now. Currently 29.0C with a dewpoint of 19.6C. 

    It'd be nice if it wasn't quite so humid. It'd also be nice if the other half hadn't opened all of the windows this afternoon to 'keep the house cool', meaning we've got to somehow get it down from 29C this evening. 🙄

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Manchester
  • Location: Manchester

    45% humidity here which is about as low it gets during a hot summers day. I can't imagine how it would feel to be 28c and humidity in the high 80s though 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: manchester
  • Weather Preferences: Summer & Winter
  • Location: manchester

    I think the first 30c of the year is still acheivable somewhere in the Yorkshire area. Still about one hours left of heating to go things often get very warm around the 16:00 to 18:00 period 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Mixed bag this weekend, some sun and some rain

      Dry with sunny spells for many on Saturday, though a band of showery rain for parts of the north and west. Heavy rain moving into eastern areas on Sunday, turning brighter in the west. Fine first half of next week, unsettled second half. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Hints of autumn. Warm sunshine for the weekend but also rain from the west

      Hints of autumn are making themselves known, fog and a coolness in the morning. Leaves beginning, slowly, to turn. But there is still warm sunshine for the weekend but also rain from the west. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      What is CoP26?

      CoP26 is the UN Climate Change Conference, this is the 26th Conference of Parties, in Glasgow. The Parties are issuing important NDCs, Nationally Determined Contributions, their climate plans. Read more here

      Jo Farrow
      Jo Farrow
      Latest weather updates from Netweather
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...