Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Vale of York and South West as things stand. 27C in Newquay.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
13 minutes ago, cheese said:

31c forecast for Leeds this afternoon

spacer.png

20c for Brighton? It's already 24c here.

Could be the sea breeze then

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Freeze said:

20c for Brighton? It's already 24c here.

Could be the sea breeze then

Yeah, the Met shows 24C for Brighton at 12pm, falling to 20C later due to the sea breeze. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

a great spell of weather in August 95 for many me included the gold standard of a hot spell - but it still went cool and unsettled at the end ! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

a great spell of weather in August 95 for many me included the gold standard of a hot spell - but it still went cool and unsettled at the end ! 

August 95 is the best month in Bournemouth’s history, averaged 27C down here and managed a higher average than Heathrow and Cambridge. 

Aug 95 had

6days above 30C

the first 21days were all above 25C - which is possibly the most impressive stat in the records at Hurn. 

Every day of the month was above 22C.

Every day from July 2nd to September 6th was above 21C

would love a repeat.

Edited by Alderc

Posted

The durinal range was apparently very impressive in Aug 95. Places recording 30C to zero. Likely very low humidity.

• Like 2

Posted

Vale Of York now tearing ahead at 28C. Wonder if Reef is getting his rare heat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Just seen a couple go by on my road running. The lady i get, proper running gear for this temp, actual track gear, the man, full body suit on including hood and gloves...guess which one looked like a cooked lobster about to fall over? Also folk have been walking past, coats on and woolly hats! I'll never feel odd again in my shorts in snow!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
20 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Liverpool Airport 30C at 13:00

I'll happily stand corrected but I have been suspicious about the temperature readings from this station this summer so far, always seems 1-2C too high.  Is it a very sheltered site?

Interesting temperature distribution today (and yesterday) with the highest temperatures for Central and Western areas, and Eastern Scotland 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
5 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

I'll happily stand corrected but I have been suspicious about the temperature readings from this station this summer so far, always seems 1-2C too high.  Is it a very sheltered site?

Interesting temperature distribution today (and yesterday) with the highest temperatures for Central and Western areas, and Eastern Scotland 

That station definitely seems a bit dodgy. Always a fair bit higher than the surrounding ones? Every other forecast or current max around there looks like 25/26c??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, cheese said:

31c forecast for Leeds this afternoon

spacer.png

Ooooooooof! 

4 hours ago, Alderc said:

I’d describe the forum as primarily pro winter, pro lockdown! 

I'm definetely anti-heat and anti-lockdown! But this forum seems to be very pro-heat this summer.

4 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

I'd say most weather enthusiasts look out for unusual / interesting weather. In winter that tends to mean cold and snowy weather and in summer heat and thunderstorms.

When reading peoples weather preferences, you don't often see 'Atlantic' or 'mild winter, cool summer'!

That's my preference I'd say. The good old atlantic keeps us nice and cool in summer and warmer in winter. Yes, I'm boring, I know. I do love a good snowfall though.

54 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Liverpool Airport 30C at 13:00

Ooooooooof! 

45 minutes ago, markyo said:

Just seen a couple go by on my road running. The lady i get, proper running gear for this temp, actual track gear, the man, full body suit on including hood and gloves...guess which one looked like a cooked lobster about to fall over? Also folk have been walking past, coats on and woolly hats! I'll never feel odd again in my shorts in snow!

You have to be kidding me!    Not seen anyone in a wolly hat and thick coat for ages!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

Not enjoying this heat one bit. Everytime I look at my weather station the temp has gone up!! Now currently 26.7C, 54 % humidity, 25C with 67% humidity indoors. So hot and clammy, ugh. 

Even my cats are lying in the shade! 

Mananged to get a good nights sleep and was actually quite comfortable but I had my window open until about 1 am, sleeping in just boxers and no t-shirt on, and just a sheet on top. Closed the curtains in rooms when the sun shining in, and kept windows closed when the outdoor temp is higher than the indoor temp. Have even shaved my chest as well!  

Looking at the local forecast, while today is the hottest day at 27C, no proper relief until Friday now! ☹️

I'm surprised there isn't more people moaning about the hot sticky nights and high indoor temperatures. It's horrible! 

• Like 2

Posted

A few tips for beating the heat:

• Keep curtains/blinds closed when the sun is shining in.
  • Keep your windows closed when the outside temp is hotter than the inside temp, otherwise you will just let the heat in.
  • Wear light, loose cotton clothing (polyester is not as breathable and makes you sweat more). Same goes for bedding as well.
  • Book time off work if you can - or phone in sick!!! 
  • A cold, damp, wet cloth over your body or a tepid/cold shower is a quick way to cool down.
  • Drink plenty of water, chilled/ice cubes is preferable.
  • Avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm.
  • Avoid using the oven or grill.
Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 4

Posted

The problem here is the indoor temperature is abnormally warm all over the house (though I have a fan) because there's just no wind and even going to bed last night around midnight the room temperature was about 24C. 

Hopefully a clearer evening tonight will allow a faster temperature drop.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I'm surprised there isn't more people moaning about the hot sticky nights and high indoor temperatures. It's horrible! 

I myself don't enjoy this weather but it's only a week out of the whole year we get heatwave conditions. Soon enough the weather will become autumnal and chilly which is what we've been through since October. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally don't really mind hot weather that much (particularly if it leads to thunderstorms), because hot spells in the UK don't usually last for that long and it keeps the summer season more interesting from a meterological point of the view. On the other hand, from a personal point of view I would be more than happy with a calm sunny day at 22 Celsius. Those conditions are very useable and comfortable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
18 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not enjoying this heat one bit. Everytime I look at my weather station the temp has gone up!! Now currently 26.7C, 54 % humidity, 25C with 67% humidity indoors. So hot and clammy, ugh. 

Even my cats are lying in the shade! 

Mananged to get a good nights sleep and was actually quite comfortable but I had my window open until about 1 am, sleeping in just boxers and no t-shirt on, and just a sheet on top. Closed the curtains in rooms when the sun shining in, and kept windows closed when the outdoor temp is higher than the indoor temp. Have even shaved my chest as well!  

Looking at the local forecast, while today is the hottest day at 27C, no proper relief until Friday now! ☹️

Sorry to say the next couple of nights at least look horrific for sleeping if you haven't aircon. I suspect most will agree that it's at night the issue of heat really is felt. The colder weather doesn't keep you awake at night no matter how much you hate it, folk who love this weather seem to forget this.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

A few tips for beating the heat:

• Keep curtains/blinds closed when the sun is shining in.
  • Keep your windows closed when the outside temp is hotter than the inside temp, otherwise you will just let the heat in.
  • Wear light, loose cotton clothing (polyester is not as breathable and makes you sweat more). Same goes for bedding as well.
  • Book time off work if you can - or phone in sick!!! 
  • A cold, damp, wet cloth over your body or a tepid/cold shower is a quick way to cool down.
  • Drink plenty of water, chilled/ice cubes is preferable.
  • Avoid the sun between 11am and 3pm.
  • Avoid using the oven or grill.

Or, if you prefer, wear a tank-top and shorts, and drink plenty of vodka! Easier I'll admit, when your windows incorporate (I won't be typing that in two-hours' time!) IR-shielding, like mine do?:drunk-emoji:

Posted

According to Xcweather it's still the Vale Of York, Humberside and Wellesbourne at 29C. Suspect the later may get the highest of the day being a little further south with a higher gradient through the afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

Getting pretty uncomfortable out there now. Currently 29.0C with a dewpoint of 19.6C. 

It'd be nice if it wasn't quite so humid. It'd also be nice if the other half hadn't opened all of the windows this afternoon to 'keep the house cool', meaning we've got to somehow get it down from 29C this evening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

45% humidity here which is about as low it gets during a hot summers day. I can't imagine how it would feel to be 28c and humidity in the high 80s though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I think the first 30c of the year is still acheivable somewhere in the Yorkshire area. Still about one hours left of heating to go things often get very warm around the 16:00 to 18:00 period