Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Not the kind of weather I enjoy but it is what it is. You heat lovers are right. We warm-blooded folk will just have to suck it up. Just like those that hate cold have to suck it up in the autumn and winter. It will be autumn in a couple of months anyway.

over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Funny how we are all different. 23c here and i've just taken off my tights (ooh la la!) and my jumped and long sleeved top. Swapped them for trousers and a tshirt lol

My mum is from the north east, Geordies are well-known for thier good tolerance to cold and thier poor tolerance to heat. Maybe that's where I get it from! Was up there in May 2018, was about 15C and sunny with a very cold breeze coming off the north sea, yet most people dressed for a day at the beach lol.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

Just thought I’d let everyone know to expect a terrible spell of weather 31st July - 3rd August. This is absolutely 100% nailed on as I’ve planned a few days in Torquay. 

Could I additionally caution against week beginning 25th July. I always get bad weather, I even managed the 1 bad week we had in 2018, in the middle of June. Sorry.

Posted

From 34C and dry yesterday to 30C and humid today, which definitely feels hotter!. I'm finally getting some thunderstorms now as well (got woken up early this morning by an almighty bang).

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

How is the summer index calculated? Is it hours of sunshine times mean temperature divided by the rainfall in mm?

The Summer index is 10 x [(mean max of summer) +(total sunshine)/67 - (rain days/8)]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

At last some summer weather - a very typical July day down here, 24C with plenty of sunshine and fair weather cumulus floating around. A stonker of a week to come too. 

I however need fine weather from next Thursday onwards given lots of outdoor plans over the week beyond. Let’s see how long it last.

• Like 1

Posted

My weather observations for June 2021 if anyone's interested and would like to compare it to thier own.

Note - Don't have my own equipment, stats collected from local weather stations.

RVLrbAODORFlWZz0HfolN3TSHUTroudJM1ie-zEo
DOCS.GOOGLE.COM

Sheet1 Date,High,Low,Mean,Humidity (High),Humidity (Low),Humidity (Avg),Pressure (High),Pressure (Low),Pressure (Avg),Mean Wind Direction,Rain (mm),Sun (Hours),Weather,Breeze Strength,Indoor...

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

My weather observations for June 2021 if anyone's interested and would like to compare it to thier own.

Note - Don't have my own equipment, stats collected from local weather stations.

DOCS.GOOGLE.COM

Sheet1 Date,High,Low,Mean,Humidity (High),Humidity (Low),Humidity (Avg),Pressure (High),Pressure (Low),Pressure (Avg),Mean Wind Direction,Rain (mm),Sun (Hours),Weather,Breeze Strength,Indoor...

Some notably low minima there! Do you live in or near a frost hollow?

Posted
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I don't think so. I think there were just some unusally cold nights in that month, esspecially during the 2nd half.

Posted
19 minutes ago, MP-R said:

There's a Frost Hollow who lives not far away in Oldham, though that's probably not what you meant. 

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

There's a Frost Hollow who lives not far away in Oldham, though that's probably not what you meant. 

Lol! Well that’s a frost hollow with one very wide sphere of influence...

• Like 1

Forgot to add the rain stats to the dullness stats earlier….

In the 24days to the 12th July we had approx 170mm of rain, the average from the entire 3months of summer is just 150mm here in Bmth.

Shocking weather. I'm so sorry for everyone. More summers like this and there will be a mass migration away from these islands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

25c here at 5pm with beautiful clear blue sky's, still 20c now at 8pm, lovely to sit in the garden with a cold beer

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Gorgeous evening. Just a shame I'm off to work

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

25c here at 5pm with beautiful clear blue sky's, still 20c now at 8pm, lovely to sit in the garden with a cold beer

Still 23c here. Clear blue skies. Gonna be a warm night for sleeping, for sure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Still 23c here. Clear blue skies. Gonna be a warm night for sleeping, for sure.

Yep no need for a blanket tonite, although i live in an old chalk built cottage which regulates the heat quite well, thankfully 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
35 minutes ago, DCee said:

Shocking weather. I'm so sorry for everyone. More summers like this and there will be a mass migration away from these islands.

It’s the only solution. I’ve never looked back, weather-wise. 
Another intense thunderstorm here this evening, very exciting weather 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

In the 24days to the 12th July we had approx 170mm of rain, the average from the entire 3months of summer is just 150mm here in Bmth.

197mm recorded here. 

Hopefully, the next week or so, it can wipe a lot of that from the memory bank. Today was the start, managed 11.7 hrs of sunshine and a max temp of 25.6°C.

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely day today, one of those days where it's got sunnier as the day went on. High of 21C, now currently 18C with clear blue skies and feeling very pleasant outside. 

A lot of people think us anti-heat folk just want miserable cold rainy weather all the time. That is not the case at all and I'd hate another summer like 2007 or 2012. We like the sunshine, we just like sensible levels of warmth, 18-22C not 28-32C.

This summer has had the most days in the low 20's I've ever seen (my favourite temperature in summer), usually it's just a few days of 25-30C and then atlantic dross the rest of the time. It's the best summer I can ever remember for pleasant, comfortable, sunny and dry weather. If I was being picky I'd prefer more sunshine with cooler nights, but certainly can't complain about this summer up here.  It's like a cooler version of 2018.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
47 minutes ago, DCee said:

I do hope so! Us cool weather lovers can then have the UK all to ourselves!  Getting a bit political here but there's too many people in this country anyway... If the weather in the UK is so bad then why are so many people from Europe so desperate to live in the UK?

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

10 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

197mm recorded here. 

Hopefully, the next week or so, it can wipe a lot of that from the memory bank. Today was the start, managed 11.7 hrs of sunshine and a max temp of 25.6°C.

That is shocking, esspecially for the south!  I can now see why there has been so much moaning from people in the south, had not realised it had been that wet!  

We've had 77 mm so far this July here, and only 17 mm for the whole of June, so it's been very dry here in comparison.

DOCS.GOOGLE.COM

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

It certainly sounds very dramatic and unpleasant, but I’ll still be hoping for 2 months of sun and warmth for SE England as everyone I know from home is really fed up with the depressing crap they’ve had to endure there.

Epic storms here yesterday evening, again! Turning into an amazing storm season. No ‘vile and hot’ weather to come here, it’s looking average actually with temperatures between 24-26°C for the next 10 days. Nothing to get one’s knickers in a twist about

08158BD4-C663-4409-9242-A53B9507CEC8.jpeg

5CAE703C-B405-429C-BEA7-A2918C942DD7.jpeg

4FF154C8-9E49-48A4-A9F5-124079D43A65.jpeg

03D62D70-2F64-4C21-96A0-89789B8EBA88.jpeg

Looks very wet and windy. What are those Christmas trees doing in the background lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I don't call it an epic year for storms with only 13 claps of thunder over four 'weak' storms, and 33 opportunities to date (2021) which have all been failures / busts in Guildford. Yet another crap year more like.  Don't mean to offend anyone but this year is seriously getting on my t**s after the almost equally rubbish performance last year and after a very disappointing winter. It wouldn't be so bad if EVERYBODY was missing out on the interesting conditions and not just C.S. England and Guildford. Sooner I can have that storm chasing trip, the better. Next week's 'breakdown' - surprise, surprise - completely downgraded and now just a drop in temperature as we have to get more weather from a N.W.ly direction yet again - the most unexciting direction with least potential for thundery conditions here. Wish the Azores 'high' would go and get low pressure there instead and we would then get some decent warmth, drier and pleasanter atmosphere with less humidity except during plumes originating from Spain, not France, then it would be game-on for storms and not more 'Kent Clippers'. home grown storms only affecting the usual areas like London, midlands and the N.E. as far as Edinburgh. wish this pattern stuck on 'repeat' would just go - 6 years out of  last 13 yielding <6 days thunder per year is atrocious. Time for a change and some different locations having the excitement.

Thunder days in Guildford since 2001. The mean (1998 to 2007) is 16 .3 days. The demise is very clear. Before anyone asks, I have not gone deaf and I work outdoors, so if anything happens I do notice - Monday's 4th 'event' of 2021 was a muffled rumble to the N.E. and one would need a 3,000 watt P.A. rig to amplify the thunder to a level which more people would notice!

2001 - 19
2002 - 13
2003 - 11
2004 - 14
2005 - 14
2006 - 23
2007 - 13
2008 - 15
2009 - 6
2010 - 4
2011 - 5
2012 -12