Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm looking forward to this upcoming short spell of Summer.

Since getting the Asthma diagnosis and starting the preventer, the weather has been too kind..... Amongst other things, I need to see if heatwaves (more specifically plume type high humidity heatwaves though) still trigger breathing issues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Yep with dew point 

“Once this reaches 35C, the human body cannot cool itself by sweating and even fit people sitting in the shade will die within six hours.”

It's almost as if some are exaggerating their misery and discomfort!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 hours ago, Nick L said:

I'm pretty sure 49C with a dew point of 49C would put you at serious threat of death...

Its unworkable in by quite a long way, you can't breath or function properly, we never stay in conditions even close to this for any. measurable time. You wouldn't last long if you did!

Edited by markyo

Just thought I’d let everyone know to expect a terrible spell of weather 31st July - 3rd August. This is absolutely 100% nailed on as I’ve planned a few days in Torquay. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
14 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just thought I’d let everyone know to expect a terrible spell of weather 31st July - 3rd August. This is absolutely 100% nailed on as I’ve planned a few days in Torquay. 

Thanks for letting us know, I'll batten down the hatches.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, davehsug said:

Well it looks like the misery merchants will get their way now. A blink and you'll miss it taste of summer, then back to the cloud and rain. What an awful summer. 

I see there's already a thread to moan about autumn. Might as well close this and just leave that open permanently, it sums up our "autumn all year round" weather.

And they still have the audacity to complain about a couple of days of slightly above average temperatures even though they have had their favourite weather type (cold miserable rubbish that stops you doing anything outside) almost uninterrupted since the 2nd half of August last year except for a few days in early June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, davehsug said:

Well it looks like the misery merchants will get their way now. A blink and you'll miss it taste of summer, then back to the cloud and rain. What an awful summer. 

I see there's already a thread to moan about autumn. Might as well close this and just leave that open permanently, it sums up our "autumn all year round" weather.

17c and thick cloud here in Eastern London at almost 11am. This is autumn lol. Awful. One nice day yesterday and then return to the never-ending grey, cool dross. This is despite forecast as of yesterday saying it was going to be quite sunny today...they cannot even get it correct in under 24hrs in advance!  This is why holidaying in the UK is ultimately futile in my eyes (if you want some sun or need to plan outdoors activities, that is). The forecast could be 100% incorrect for later that day or the next day, let alone the following week or 2 weeks ahead. You're gambling with multiple hundreds of £ to potentially be sat inside some pubs / cafes all day with a washout, or not be able to do beach-related activities to do lack of warmth etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

17c and thick cloud here in Eastern London at almost 11am. This is autumn lol. Awful. One nice day yesterday and then return to the never-ending grey, cool dross. This is despite forecast as of yesterday saying it was going to be quite sunny today...they cannot even get it correct in under 24hrs in advance!  This is why holidaying in the UK is ultimately futile in my eyes (if you want some sun or need to plan outdoors activities, that is). The forecast could be 100% incorrect for later that day or the next day, let alone the following week or 2 weeks ahead. You're gambling with multiple hundreds of £ to potentially be sat inside some pubs / cafes all day with a washout, or not be able to do beach-related activities to do lack of warmth etc.

And while my post above was a little tongue in cheek this is exactly what I mean. Probably won’t get any change out of £1200 for three nights away for the two of us and it could easily be rubbish weather….you can a weeks all-inclusive for that in some places….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
19 hours ago, Alderc said:

Today’s a bit meh, about 22C but almost zero sun.

Still not even 40hrs of sun here in Bmth after 12days of July, other places in London and the SE barely over 30hrs. Must be the fullest start to a July on record. 

30 - 40hrs sun for what is basically half the month of July is dire, especially in the SE / London which is generally one of the more sunnier areas of the UK. Even just several properly clear days from dawn to dusk would comprise a total figure exceeding that! Yes, possibly one of the dullest / cloudiest July's I can remember. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Its unworkable in by quite a long way, you can't breath or function properly, we never stay in conditions even close to this for any. measurable time. You wouldn't last long if you did!

You don't work in dew points of 49C.

• Like 2

Posted

Can't believe how poor the weather is at the Tour de France these last 2 days. They're in Nick Sussex' manor, and it really isn't what you expect in Southern France in mid July!

Posted
17 minutes ago, Alderc said:

And while my post above was a little tongue in cheek this is exactly what I mean. Probably won’t get any change out of £1200 for three nights away for the two of us and it could easily be rubbish weather….you can a weeks all-inclusive for that in some places….

Yeah the prices are extortionate what with COVID and the difficulties with travelling abroad right now. A seaside holiday or even any outdoorsy-based break can be a very different experience in this country depending on the weather, and it is such pot luck. Possibly one of the worst years to get a poor summer like this. Imagine if we had a year like 2018? It would have so helped deflated spirits from the situation over the past 15 / 16 months and UK tourism would have gone through the roof. But alas.

I am very much the same, and part of me thinks it better to just save my money and (fingers crossed) go somewhere abroad soon as I'm able. Me and my friends have kept trying to plan a camping and hiking trip throughout summer so far, but with the trend of weather this year, outside of that one week in early June, we are loathe to set a date for a period of 5 days that could be a complete washout...because we would not have a camper van, or aibnb with hot tub to fall back on lol. I have been on a camping trip before in UK where it did not stop raining (in late July) so we bunned it off for some holiday chalet in the local area with a hot tub, good last minute prices. But that was some years ago. Now, you cannot find anything left for love nor money, unless you want to shelling out your life savings! So it would literally just be us and the tents at the mercy of this country's weather. 

Posted

After a glorious start to the day, the cloud popped up and by 8.30am it was cloudy! Apart from the odd glimpses of sun we're still under a wall of cloud which doesn't look like clearing soon. The forecast around here was topping out at around 25c today but with this breeze and cloud levels it needs to get a wiggle on! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

You don't work in dew points of 49C.

I know, i just said that, you can't.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
32 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

30 - 40hrs sun for what is basically half the month of July is dire, especially in the SE / London which is generally one of the more sunnier areas of the UK. Even just several properly clear days from dawn to dusk would comprise a total figure exceeding that! Yes, possibly one of the dullest / cloudiest July's I can remember. 

We're at 29.4 hours of sun here for Cambridge halfway through July, which is absolutely pathetic. It's been like this for a month now, once the nice spell ended mid June it's just been a cloudfest nearly every day. One nice day 23rd June, but look at the rest. Most day 0-2 hours, the odd day around 4. It's more like early winter to be honest. Think you've got a right to moan a bit when you are averaging 2 hours sun a day in the peak of summer.

June
image.thumb.png.ce86a69e289c937b5755e66b967be11e.png

July
image.thumb.png.572e7c2fff0ef3a6fd551b917effbd41.png

Oh look....another bloody cloudy day. Yawn.

image.thumb.png.2f7385d4882e730a2273aed0b4b66866.png

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 1

Posted

The cloud thing is so odd never seen it like this before. No such thing as sunshine and showers this year, it's just cloud and showers. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

The cloud thing is so odd never seen it like this before. No such thing as sunshine and showers this year, it's just cloud and showers. 

But the weather looks great in the MOD thread, it always does...

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

We're at 29.4 hours of sun here for Cambridge halfway through July, which is absolutely pathetic. It's been like this for a month now, once the nice spell ended mid June it's just been a cloudfest nearly every day. One nice day 23rd June, but look at the rest. Most day 0-2 hours, the odd day around 4. It's more like early winter to be honest. Think you've got a right to moan a bit when you are averaging 2 hours sun a day in the peak of summer.

June
image.thumb.png.ce86a69e289c937b5755e66b967be11e.png

July
image.thumb.png.572e7c2fff0ef3a6fd551b917effbd41.png

Oh look....another bloody cloudy day. Yawn.

image.thumb.png.2f7385d4882e730a2273aed0b4b66866.png

Oh for god sake, that's almost only over the South East of England! North France still getting an awful run of it too. Those holiday homes in Brittany being put to good use I bet...

Yes, multiple days of 1 / 2 hours of sun, alongside the days with straight-up ZERO hours of sun, in the 4 week period with the longest days of the year, is atrocious. It would be interesting to see if Iceland and the Faroe Islands exceeded London / SE's sunlight totals for July so far lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I note that RAF Waddington's sunniest day so far this month had just 6.5 hours.  That's probably why it didn't seem all that dull to me over the first 9 days - most days had some sunshine but not a lot, but it means that no day has exceeded average amounts of sunshine yet (Waddington's July average is around 200 hours, or 6.5 hours per day).  The last few days have certainly seemed dull, yesterday was a pretty dull one as well, taking us up to 49.8 hours.  Remarkably, Jersey Airport of all places has been duller than here - just 41.5 hours so far.  That must surely be approaching a record for the first 13 days of July, as on average Jersey, if it's counted in the UK statistics, is the sunniest part of the UK.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Thank you for being so considerate enough as to plan it for after my 2nd daughters birthday party!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I would say it is around 60% cloud cover here. So it pops out at times. Still want rid and to never see another cloud again!

The last 26days have yielded just 91.8hrs of sun. While not a full month to put in context just how bad this spell has been the dullest June is from 2012 with 101hrs of sun (only 3 below 150) and the dullest July is 1978 with 142hrs (only 5 below 180hrs) from 68years of records.

Sunshine has become a problem in summer in the last 20years 10 of the dullest 13 Julys are in the last 18years, the 5 dullest August’s are all since 2007, the dullest two June’s are 2012 & 2016…..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
12 hours ago, Nick L said:

I'm pretty sure 49C with a dew point of 49C would put you at serious threat of death...

12 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Yep with dew point 

“Once this reaches 35C, the human body cannot cool itself by sweating and even fit people sitting in the shade will die within six hours.”

Yes, that is why I cannot belive he works in those conditions for 10-12 hours a day as he claims... Which makes me think he's either exagerating or trolling (apologies to Markyo if he's not)... I'm surprised it's even legal to be honest. I know there's no maximum working temperature (but there ought to be) but c'mon! Forcing people to work for 10 plus hours in 40C dew points must violate some kind of health and safety/human rights law I would have thought.

9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Index is 221 and will climb over the next few days. 

How is the summer index calculated? Is it hours of sunshine times mean temperature divided by the rainfall in mm?

6 hours ago, davehsug said:

Well it's been far from autumn up here with most days above 20C. The GFS 06Z is forecasting high pressure to be mostly in control for the next two weeks, and previous model runs show high pressure is mostly in control as well. For example the GFS 06Z shows high pressure is still in control on the 27th, with a breakdown not taking place until the 30th (and even that could change). Really don't understand what all the negativity is about!

3 hours ago, Alderc said:

I went to Torquay in Late August 2017, cracking weather, 21-24C and mostly sunny, not a drop of rain. Beautiful place. Admittedly I got lucky as August 2017 was a cool and unsettled month apart from the last few days, but still, the weather is amazing down there. 23C in the sun down there feels like 30C as the sun is so strong.

3 hours ago, Snowy L said:

And they still have the audacity to complain about a couple of days of slightly above average temperatures even though they have had their favourite weather type (cold miserable rubbish that stops you doing anything outside) almost uninterrupted since the 2nd half of August last year except for a few days in early June.

It may be different in the south, but temperatures have been mostly above average this summer up here. I'd argue "cold miserable rubbish" does not stop you doing anything outside, just put a flaming jacket on! On the other hand hot weather certainly stops me from doing much outside...

3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I always holiday in the UK, and the weather is usually pretty good. It isn't always warm and sunny, granted, but it's usually dry with very few rainy days. Plenty of usable days.

The only time the weather wasn't very good was when I was on the Isle of Man in 2012, I remember it was thick cloud most of the time and it was wet on a couple of days (I remember it was sunny on the day I arrived though) but let's be honest that summer was absolutely atrocious from start to finish.

GFS 06Z Tue 27th July 2021.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Anyway, it's another nice day here, mostly cloudy earlier but now currently sunny intervals and 20C. Sat in just boxers and a t-shirt and plenty warm enough!

• Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Anyway, it's another nice day here, mostly cloudy earlier but now currently sunny intervals and 20C. Sat in just boxers and a t-shirt and plenty warm enough!

Funny how we are all different. 23c here and i've just taken off my tights (ooh la la!) and my jumped and long sleeved top. Swapped them for trousers and a tshirt lol

• Like 1