Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Drink plenty of water, I really hope that you survive the night

Seen 30c in bedroom in the South during summer before at night! I'll take 23 ...

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not when you're trying to sleep it isn't! I'm sleeping with just a light blanket on at the moment and sometimes just a sheet.

Reading this is the equivelent of the Scottish laughing at London coming to stand still in 1cm of snow LOL.

In all fairness it's what everyone is used to isn't it? Our house even under 16c by day is 23c at night at the moment. We are south facing. But come high summer and temps well into the 30's we are 30c + in our South facing bedroom at night. Not much sleeping going on mind! And not rumpy pumpy either you dirty lot! ... Too hot for that!!

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
44 minutes ago, Alderc said:

What the actual hell happened to the forecast tomorrow? Yesterday looked like a line shower passing through late Aprege and Arome 25-50mm with 12hrs of continuous rain from 3 o’clock tomorrow - come on…

The UKV has been showing that small LP for a few days. However, it was due to arrive after midnight tomorrow. It has since brought it forward with each run.

viewimage.thumb.png.c80b0600dee83b3a84b956a72fa54d28.png 670125684_viewimage(1).thumb.png.cdea2a696740ab153c2db81aa854052b.png

40 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The UKV has been showing that small LP for a few days. However, it was due to arrive after midnight tomorrow. It has since brought it forward with each run.

viewimage.thumb.png.c80b0600dee83b3a84b956a72fa54d28.png 670125684_viewimage(1).thumb.png.cdea2a696740ab153c2db81aa854052b.png

Absolute joke, that’s tomorrow ruined as well then.

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Saw an owl tonight, perched on the neighbours roof.  I have heard them squeaking during the night  but I’ve never actually seen one before. 

Managed to get the bedroom temp down to 22.5°C.

02D416C6-70B9-4BE0-B6C7-53CC9CC5AB7C.jpeg

41A3B28E-1597-4A4B-85A0-29C84BFF2DCA.jpeg

2C737BFC-5394-47EC-95EC-9875D25F491B.jpeg

B6393FD1-D968-44C1-A688-1D1DB079B7F5.jpeg

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Lovely sunset on Friday night as well.

Bet a lot of you haven’t seen many sunsets this summer!

79FA08F9-ADE9-40D2-8218-4D473898BBCD.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Lovely sunset on Friday night as well.

Bet a lot of you haven’t seen many sunsets this summer!

79FA08F9-ADE9-40D2-8218-4D473898BBCD.jpeg

Thanks for the picture! Don't remember what one of them is lol!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Looks wet here in NW England as well!

Posted

The benefits of living up north. 

Looking north east at 3:18 am.

You won’t see that down in the Med (or even in the far south of England).

1730E770-21F1-49C5-A683-029BA3C815EF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Reading this is the equivelent of the Scottish laughing at London coming to stand still in 1cm of snow LOL.

In all fairness it's what everyone is used to isn't it? Our house even under 16c by day is 23c at night at the moment. We are south facing. But come high summer and temps well into the 30's we are 30c + in our South facing bedroom at night. Not much sleeping going on mind! And not rumpy pumpy either you dirty lot! ... Too hot for that!!

Luckily I live in an old bungalow so it stays fairly cool in summer. Highest indoor temp I ever saw was 26°C on 25th July 2019 (the hottest day on reocrd when it reached 38.7C at Cambridge and 33C here) which is hot enough I can tell you! 

What’s strange though is that my bedroom is always warmer than the living room. Currently 22.8°C in the bedroom but only 21°C in the living room.

If I was living in your house I would be praying for summer 2007/12 conditions just so I can actually sleep lol.

I love it in winter when it's 16/17C indoors at night and I can snuggle up under a winter duvet. Much nicer than sweating under a sheet!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
21 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You won’t see that down in the Med (or even in the far south of England).

It happens here too. Nautical twilight begins at 3:22am.

Posted
4 hours ago, Daniel* said:

God you’re like a baby lol in my home it never really gets lower than that throughout the summer. 23C is perfectly comfortable out and in.

23C is hot up north! Tempted to get a Magnum out of the freezer. Might need to stock up on ice creams for this upcoming heatwave lol. Really warm tonight. My body seems to turn into a furnace at night lol.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It happens here too. Nautical twilight begins at 3:22am.

Begins at 2:38 am here, nearly a whole hour earlier! Civil twilight begins at 4:01 am.

I would love to spend a summer up in the Shetland/Orkney Islands, not becuase of the weather (which is pants) but becuase it stays pretty light all night up there around the solstice. Civil twilight lasts for most of the night, with maybe 1 or 2 hours of nautical twilight.

cityog.php?title=Sun%20and%20Moon%20Info
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Time for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset in Burnley – England – United Kingdom. Dawn and dusk (twilight) times and Sun and Moon position. Takes into account Daylight Saving Time (DST).

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The warmth at night is driven by the fact that we've maintained weak areas of low pressure over us rather than moving through. As horrific as 07/11/12 could be the lows generally moved even if via the channel/southern England.

I've found this summer surprisingly muggy myself especially at night which is probably also explaining why the CET has held up despite very little actual heat.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The warmth at night is driven by the fact that we've maintained weak areas of low pressure over us rather than moving through. As horrific as 07/11/12 could be the lows generally moved even if via the channel/southern England.

I've found this summer surprisingly muggy myself especially at night which is probably also explaining why the CET has held up despite very little actual heat.

Good explanation for why the CET is holding up despite any notable warmth. Last 3 weeks or so has seen a southerly tracking jet but positioned not especially that far south. It has also been very weak. Low pressure systems have dragged themselves through central/southern parts of UK bringing excessive cloud and preventing any clear skies at night. Minima thus has held up high whilst maxima has been suppressed. Consequently it has felt cool but this hasn't been reflected in the CET values. A faster more southerly positioned jet would bring clearer chillier nights from the north after the clearance of low pressure. 

Whilst quite humid and muggy we are not yet at least suffering from high minima and very stuffy oppressive nights that tend to occur under long drawn moist SW airstreams and more so southerly flows.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

So looks like it’s going to throw it down all afternoon and evening. Good stuff

St Swithens Day on Thursday. Might see 40 days of no rain... or may be not.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

23C is hot up north! Tempted to get a Magnum out of the freezer. Might need to stock up on ice creams for this upcoming heatwave lol. Really warm tonight. My body seems to turn into a furnace at night lol.

A hot bedroom isn’t pleasant but do you not have a decent fan? Or a mobile air cooling unit? They’re great for one room

2 hours ago, Azazel said:

So looks like it’s going to throw it down all afternoon and evening. Good stuff

It’s not a great forecast for this and afternoon. Should be having beers down the beach instead I’m deciding on jeans and which jacket to wear these evening. Radar imagery isn’t promising, returns are developing and heavy, while motion looks like taking most of it north of here the whole system will sink southwards, I’m fearing late afternoon and earlier could be a complete washout!

Just got to the first pub of the day, just about dry but it’s pretty dark to west. Looks like a heavy beer jacket will be required, gonna Chuck it down about 5pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Had a look back in the archives and boy oh boy there is vastly more moaning on the moans/ramps/banter tread in the Summer than in Winter! Quite a contrast in fact. Interesting.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, markyo said:

Had a look back in the archives and boy oh boy there is vastly more moaning on the moans/ramps/banter tread in the Summer than in Winter! Quite a contrast in fact. Interesting.

Even more moaning than there was on the winter 2019/20 thread?

3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

A hot bedroom isn’t pleasant but do you not have a decent fan? Or a mobile air cooling unit? They’re great for one room

No I don't. I might have to look into one as I had a poor nights sleep last night, not helped by the warmth. If I had a fan the noise would probably keep me awake, might get a portable air con unit.

Cooler today. Currently overcast and around 19C. No rain yet. Still 22.7C in the bedroom though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
46 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Even more moaning than there was on the winter 2019/20 thread?

Yep, this Summer's thread is far more populated. Its not been a wash out, far from it, useable temps, nothing cold really, coolish may be but cold no.

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterday the sun came out and it was a better afternoon than expected, almost full sunshine and a clear blue sky.

This afternoon is pretty rubbish though, moderate outbreaks of rain and just 14.3C at present. The maximum was 16.6C at 10:30am.