Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well, we tonight we wave goodbye to continetal air and say hello to a good old friend the Atlantic.

Weather is rubbish whatever direction it comes from down here these days so not fussed!

Posted
51 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

16.7 degrees here with moderate rain. Poor for July at 12.15 past noon!

Nothing compared to the 7th July 2020 at Manchester Airport. It was 12c at 3:20pm. Comparable to the winter preceding it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
52 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Nothing compared to the 7th July 2020 at Manchester Airport. It was 12c at 3:20pm. Comparable to the winter preceding it. 

Yes that month was absolutely dreadful. I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as last July. Hopefully not anyway.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Nothing really happening over here in my neck of the woods. It's 20 Celsius, dry and mostly cloudy. Not the most exciting, but at least the temp is close to average as opposed to it being 14 Celsius and overcast.

A thunderstorm is forecast, but I am not holding my breath. Just taking it as it comes.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
18 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes that month was absolutely dreadful. I don’t think it’s going to be as bad as last July. Hopefully not anyway.

I remember last July being quite nice down here, fairly dry and temps around 20c by day with sunny spells. It's looking a lot worse this year for my location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Finally a reasonable day yesterday, but we're back into the gloom again today. Sunshine figures for the last 2-3 weeks must be dreadful.

Posted
1 hour ago, Freeze said:

I remember last July being quite nice down here, fairly dry and temps around 20c by day with sunny spells. It's looking a lot worse this year for my location.

Last July was much better in the south than in the north (though even the south was no better than average). Here it was absolutely atrocious. Cloudy, wet, but the worst thing was the temperatures - average high of just 17°C - 3°C below the long term average!!! Only two days above 20°C! Why the temperatures were so below average here I’m not sure, it’s not like we had northerly winds all month, just a gentle westerly flow.

A slightly better afternoon here, the drizzle has cleared and we’ve got some sunny spells and the temps have nudged up to 19C .

35 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Last July was much better in the south than in the north (though even the south was no better than average). Here it was absolutely atrocious. Cloudy, wet, but the worst thing was the temperatures - average high of just 17°C - 3°C below the long term average!!! Only two days above 20°C! Why the temperatures were so below average here I’m not sure, it’s not like we had northerly winds all month, just a gentle westerly flow.

Last July here was probably about the most boring month of all time.

Lowest max was 19C

Only 4 days failed to make 20C

Only 3 days over 25C 

Highest temp 27C on the last day (would of hit 30C but got stuck under cloud in the afternoon) 

Average 22C, exactly average 

Not overly wet with 34mm but rain fell on 16says 

Zero thunderstorms

Sun was around 200hrs just below average.

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
37 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes last July was 'ok' down here but nothing more than that.  No real heat, no real rainfall events, it was warm around mid month around mid 20s here (think Heathrow was 27c on 17th but no more), no thunder.  Boring really.  

Still early days for this month yet..

(Forgot about 31st.. the description above relates from 1 to 30th)

Edited by SummerShower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
25 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Lowest max was 19C

Only 3 days over 25C 

Highest temp 27C on the last day (would of hit 30C but got stuck under cloud in the afternoon) 

Zero thunderstorms

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Interesting.

10 days here were below 20°C and only one above 25°C, on the last day.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Lowest max was 19C

Only 3 days over 25C 

Zero thunderstorms

Zzzzzzzzzzz

That would have been an ideal month for me, instead it was only 15-19°C most of the time here. Diabolical, even by my low standards.

A mobile westerly flow does tend to bring quite boring and average conditions to the south, with no real heat but no washouts either, with rain tending to fall little and often. Further north though it tends to be cool, cloudy and more unsettled.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Interesting.

10 days here were below 20°C and only one above 25°C, on the last day, here.

Oh wow, i think your a bit closer to sea? Maybe that’s the difference that tipped a handful of days just over 20C here?

Posted

Last July will be forever remembered for that exceptional heat on the 31st, the rest of the month was nothing special even in the south but the 31st really was very special.

I believe its the 3rd highest max temp ever, and it was the hottest CET mean day of all time (above Aug 03 and Jul 19). The fact it came on the back of an average month shows where we are in terms of the climate at the moment IMO.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I sense that I'm very much in a minority here, but I see a lot of interest in this coming week, plenty of convection and potential to get quite a few thunder-days out of it.  With a bit of luck Monday's dull wet windy weather might pass through overnight Monday/Tuesday. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, kold weather said:

Last July will be forever remembered for that exceptional heat on the 31st, the rest of the month was nothing special even in the south but the 31st really was very special.

I believe its the 3rd highest max temp ever, and it was the hottest CET mean day of all time (above Aug 03 and Jul 19). The fact it came on the back of an average month shows where we are in terms of the climate at the moment IMO.

Technically that was part of that two week hot spell in august 2020. The rest of the summer was very mediocre in terms of nice sunny weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I sense that I'm very much in a minority here, but I see a lot of interest in this coming week, plenty of convection and potential to get quite a few thunder-days out of it.  With a bit of luck Monday's dull wet windy weather might pass through overnight Monday/Tuesday. 

It’s been disappointing so far for thunderstorms in the London area. But, still two more months of summer to go for some action.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, kold weather said:

Even the 31st July last year wasn't anything special here. It was sunny in the morning but it was cloudy in the afternoon. Despite the cloud we still managed the high 20s but that's nothing particularly special for a late July heatwave here. Had the sun stayed out I may have managed low 30's. It was a very disappointing month here in all aspects.

31 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s been disappointing so far for thunderstorms in the London area. But, still two more months of summer to go for some action.

Aye, not a single rumble or flash here this summer.

Posted
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Lowest max was 19C

Only 3 days over 25C 

Zero thunderstorms

Zzzzzzzzzzz

In contrast, Manchester failed to make 20c for 24 days, lowest max was 13c and the highest temp was 32c on the 31st I believe. Went from 0 to 100 real quick that month. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
7 hours ago, Nick L said:

Finally a reasonable day yesterday, but we're back into the gloom again today. Sunshine figures for the last 2-3 weeks must be dreadful.

I don't know where you can find weekly or fortnightly sunshine anomalies, but the June 2021 sunshine anomaly on the Met Office site showed average sunshine over the south and east, The sunny first half and the dull second half cancelling each other out.

I was disappointed with the last 2-3 days here in that I thought when the ridge moved south, it would give the SE sunny days as was originally forecast by the Met Office. Instead, here in Horsham, we had a couple of hours of sun with cloud building through the afternoon. Today was originally forecast to be wet in the morning, then it was forecast light showers this morning, then at 9am today it was forecast cloudy but dry. The heavens opened at around 10 am and it carried on raining until just after 11:30. If you can't get a forecast right at one hour lead time, what are you doing? Maybe it is something to do with the way local forecasts on the Met Office site are generated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Maybe there is potentially something of interest further north but not by the looks of it in Sussex. Met Office forecast for Horsham: Sunday, a wet morning followed by sunshine and light showers, max temp 19C; Monday, cloudy all day, rain overnight, max temp 18C; Tuesday, sunny intervals and light showers, max temp 18C; Wednesday, sunny intervals and light showers, max temp 18C; Thursday, sunny intervals and light showers, max temp 20C; Friday, sunny intervals early morning followed by light cloud all day, max temp 20C. About as exciting as the average winter.

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

We are having thunder and lighting here right now 

Me too! Some really big rumbles and frequent flashes. Had torrential rain for 5 minutes as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
43 minutes ago, al78 said:

Maybe there is potentially something of interest further north but not by the looks of it in Sussex. Met Office forecast for Horsham: Sunday, a wet morning followed by sunshine and light showers, max temp 19C; Monday, cloudy all day, rain overnight, max temp 18C; Tuesday, sunny intervals and light showers, max temp 18C; Wednesday, sunny intervals and light showers, max temp 18C; Thursday, sunny intervals and light showers, max temp 20C; Friday, sunny intervals early morning followed by light cloud all day, max temp 20C. About as exciting as the average winter.

Yes, I checked the GFS 12Z precipitation charts and they bear out what you say.  The Midlands, Norfolk, Lincolnshire and NE England are looking most likely to see thundery activity at this stage.

Posted
On 02/07/2021 at 14:21, East Lancs Rain said:

I think June 2016 had  a similar rainfall anomaly although I don't think the dry weather was as widespread. I think June 2016 was quite a warm but wet month here with the south east copping most of the rain but the stats might be different. 

I don't have stats for June 2016 here but remember that it was phenomenally dull for much of the month. I seem to remember an entire week with no more than a couple of hours of sunshine. Fortunately 2016 was one of those summers that improved as it went along, and we had a glorious August and September. If this summer turns out similar I'll certainly stop complaining

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 1